Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperatures!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Temperatures!!

    Hi all,
    I'm new to candle making and loving it. I'm making and testing and making and testing. I'm using soya bean wax and have read a variety of advice about the temperature to add FO. Some say add it at a high temperature then let the wax cool and pour others advise to add FO at a low temperature and pour straight after. Any advice extremely welcome. I've measured in ml and think I've now found it best to weigh the FO and I'm currently using 10% started at 8%. Just so many variables!
    Look forward to hearing from you.

  • #2
    Hi there.

    I'm also quite new to candle making, having just started around October last year.

    I would say most definitely add the fragrance oil at a high temperature (I do it at 84 degrees C) then I allow it to cool, stirring thoroughly about 3 times, before pouring at around 43 degrees C. When I added FO at lower temperatures I didn't get a hot throw.

    I also use Soya, container blend 135 and 9% FO. Hope this helps.

    Marion

    ps everyone's different and the experts here will tell you to test, test, test! It's good advice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for your speedy response Marion. I received a candle kit put together by my husband for Christmas and since then I've been making and testing so it's nice to have someone with more experience than myself confirm what I thought I'd found. Do you always use these temperatures no matter what FO you're adding? and if you're using dye at what point do you add it?
      Cali

      Comment


      • #4
        Hulloooooooo,

        welcome and good luck with this dark art :-) my advice is simple. Ever watch Fringe? Think of me as a Watcher!!!!! Run a mile :-). Nar seriously the best advice is to just go and do, make plenty of mistakes as that's the only real way that you are going to pick up this satanic art.

        Practice, practice, practice and the once you've think you've got it right........go practice some more.

        My other tip would be to get one single product right before making lots of variations wrong.

        Best of luck

        Comment


        • #5
          HI again Cali,

          I always stick to the same temperatures. Not sure if I should vary it for different fragrances but I don't. I think it would be too difficult working it out. Anyway, re dye, I always put it in straight away, before I start heating the wax. I reckon it's such a small thing to add that it can't make much difference and I do like to see the effect as the wax is melting so I can add more or a different colour. I do like mixing the colours.

          so, my routine is (1) add wax & dye to jug in pan of water, (2) heat to 84 degrees Celcius, (3) remove from heat and add FO immediately (by weight, using little jeweller's scales from Amazon, £5) stirring well, (4) stir probably twice more and check temperature until it falls to less than 45 degrees Celcius, (5) pour!

          And I agree with Rob (who is barking mad, by the way) - get one thing right before trying a different one. And don't be downhearted if something goes wrong. Post the problem here and someone will be right back at you with suggestions.

          Good luck and have fun!

          Marion x

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi,
            Good advice, best find me some more patience!!
            I'm loving this craft but the sleepless nights of problem solving I could do without. Laying in bed awake wondering which variation to try next and why something didn't work. At least twice this week I've ended up candle making in the middle of the night just so when I went to bed my brain would switch off and I could sleep!!
            But after reading on here about candles cracking if cooled too quickly think I've answered another question and middle of the night candle making is not a good idea unless of course using a method of insulation during the cooling process.
            Last edited by Cali_ah; 11-01-2013, 11:41 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would vary only one thing at a time and test well after that so you know if it's made any difference. As for the middle of the night ...

              Marion x

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Marion,

                I never thought of adding the dye at the start but I will certainly try that, I suppose it's then heating at the same rate as the wax and can't affect anything too greatly.
                I'll definitely be looking in to some jewellers scales my kitchen scales are a bit too indecisive at times!
                My most successful candles made in the last couple of days have used the temperatures you've advised so I'll be sticking with those.

                Thanks so much for the welcome, advice and encouragement. I'll be a regular visitor to this place from now on.

                Cali x

                Comment


                • #9
                  My pleasure - I've been here a short time and overwhelmed by the friendliness and helpfulness of forum members. Many of them know so much - you'll find an answer for every problem. Have fun!

                  Marion

                  Originally posted by Cali_ah View Post
                  Hi Marion,

                  I never thought of adding the dye at the start but I will certainly try that, I suppose it's then heating at the same rate as the wax and can't affect anything too greatly.
                  I'll definitely be looking in to some jewellers scales my kitchen scales are a bit too indecisive at times!
                  My most successful candles made in the last couple of days have used the temperatures you've advised so I'll be sticking with those.

                  Thanks so much for the welcome, advice and encouragement. I'll be a regular visitor to this place from now on.

                  Cali x

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry to hijack a little bit but are these temperatures the same for paraffin wax?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For paraffin I add FO between 75 and 85 depending on the specific FO.

                      The heavier ones tend to work better at the higher end of that scale and the lighter ones at the lower end.

                      By heavier I mean the ones that take longer to incorporate when stirring in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                        HI again Cali,

                        I always stick to the same temperatures. Not sure if I should vary it for different fragrances but I don't. I think it would be too difficult working it out. Anyway, re dye, I always put it in straight away, before I start heating the wax. I reckon it's such a small thing to add that it can't make much difference and I do like to see the effect as the wax is melting so I can add more or a different colour. I do like mixing the colours.

                        so, my routine is (1) add wax & dye to jug in pan of water, (2) heat to 84 degrees Celcius, (3) remove from heat and add FO immediately (by weight, using little jeweller's scales from Amazon, £5) stirring well, (4) stir probably twice more and check temperature until it falls to less than 45 degrees Celcius, (5) pour!

                        And I agree with Rob (who is barking mad, by the way) - get one thing right before trying a different one. And don't be downhearted if something goes wrong. Post the problem here and someone will be right back at you with suggestions.

                        Good luck and have fun!

                        Marion x

                        pot calling kettle :-). How anyone who makes candles can call meeeee maddddd is a little harsh :-).

                        Again I wish the original poster well and watch this space for Spencer's life changing e book. I'll be certainly buying one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                          pot calling kettle :-). How anyone who makes candles can call meeeee maddddd is a little harsh :-).
                          I can't deny it ... I'm as mad as the rest of you!


                          Marion

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                            For paraffin I add FO between 75 and 85 depending on the specific FO.

                            The heavier ones tend to work better at the higher end of that scale and the lighter ones at the lower end.

                            By heavier I mean the ones that take longer to incorporate when stirring in.
                            Thanks I'm trying to get my Votives right today. It takes so long to get them poured and cured! Should I be able to smell some hot-throw after one day curing?
                            Last edited by DaCosta; 12-01-2013, 12:03 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Poured and Cured" - I might pinch that for a chapter title in my book

                              You should smell some hot throw after just one day curing time, but it wont be as good as the candle will get if you leave it longer.

                              Just make sure you don't up the FO/EO load based on the scent throw from 1 day of curing as it will improve over the next few days.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X