Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which thermometer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which thermometer

    Hello all;
    I'm struggling a bit with my kitchen thermometer when trying to test the temperature of my wax and feel it's time to get a better one. Can you recommend an ideal thermometer for use in candle-making?
    thanks all

  • #2
    I bought mine from Fullmoons Cauldron for £7.25. It's nice and long and I'm very happy with it. Comes with 2 sheaths to slide it in (one on either end).

    http://www.fullmoons-cauldron.co.uk/cmaccessories.htm

    Marion

    Comment


    • #3
      Sorry I did a little giggle when I read your post Marion

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wicky View Post
        Sorry I did a little giggle when I read your post Marion
        Snork! You are a very bad person, Wicky. Nothing remotely naughty had even occurred to me. (oh dear - must get out and speak to people a bit more!)

        Comment


        • #5
          I did more than giggle, and now the bloke opposite me on the train has beer on his newspaper thanks to me

          I use an infrared thermometer that you just point at the wax and press the button.
          Accurate temperature reading in less than a second and no cleaning up to do.

          Comment


          • #6
            Get you, fancy pants!

            Comment


            • #7
              Not THAT fancy. It was only twice the price of yours....

              Comment


              • #8
                We bought ours from 4C's (the metal one you clip on the side) but I'm not happy with it at all so wouldn't recommend it. In fact I'll also be interested to know what the best ones are so we can buy a new one!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I could make some comment but feel I'm in dangerous territory so ...

                  Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                  Not THAT fancy. It was only twice the price of yours....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
                    We bought ours from 4C's (the metal one you clip on the side) but I'm not happy with it at all so wouldn't recommend it. In fact I'll also be interested to know what the best ones are so we can buy a new one!
                    Ah, I was looking at that one!

                    Just the one reply so far I might have to go with that one....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      I did more than giggle, and now the bloke opposite me on the train has beer on his newspaper thanks to me

                      I use an infrared thermometer that you just point at the wax and press the button.
                      Accurate temperature reading in less than a second and no cleaning up to do.
                      Oooh now that does sound fancy! How much £ though?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I replied too. Infrared thermometer. You can find them on eBay for aroud £15.
                        Just make sure you give the wax a good stir first and hold it at the right distance for an accurate reading.

                        If you don't fancy one like that then one of the "meat probe" type with a dial on the top are easier to read than the regular type with the red liquid in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                          I replied too. Infrared thermometer. You can find them on eBay for aroud £15.
                          Just make sure you give the wax a good stir first and hold it at the right distance for an accurate reading.

                          If you don't fancy one like that then one of the "meat probe" type with a dial on the top are easier to read than the regular type with the red liquid in.
                          Sorry I missed your reply earlier. I'm struggling with 'hot-throw' in my Votives and wondered if a more accurate temperature gauge might help.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                            I replied too. Infrared thermometer. You can find them on eBay for aroud £15.
                            Just make sure you give the wax a good stir first and hold it at the right distance for an accurate reading.

                            If you don't fancy one like that then one of the "meat probe" type with a dial on the top are easier to read than the regular type with the red liquid in.
                            I don't suppose you know the make of yours? There seem to be some very cheap ones on ebay and I don't want to buy cheap and regret it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is the one I have. Cheap but it works a treat.
                              I've tested it against readings from a regular thermometer (several in fact) and it's perfect.

                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-NONCON...item2a1fcedb7a

                              Sorry, the link didn't attach first time round....
                              Last edited by Spencer101; 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X