Checking for melt pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for melt pool

Here we go again. It's been a week of wicks!

Today's heartfelt plea is "how quickly can I test burn a tealight to check the melt pool?"

I've been using taller cups from Germany (thanks Isabel!) which are only marginally wider (1 or 2 mm) than the normal ones but it's just enough for the wick not to be right. I have a little shelf on one side which hasn't melted.

So, I'm wicking up. But if this wick isn't correct I need to try another and I really don't even want to wait until tomorrow, let alone 3 days. If it's set solidly can I test it later today? I'm only interested in the melt pool.

Puleeeeeeeeeeeeese???

Marion (Desperate of North East Fife)

Hi Marion! If It was me (so am not saying this is right!! I would go ahead and test as it is only the melt pool and not the scent throw you need to test. Once the wax is set completely solid I think it should be ok!

C

Comment

Thanks Clarabell - that's my feeling.

And apologies for posting this twice. The screen froze so I did the naughty thing and clicked again. (going off to give myself a talking to)

Marion

Comment

I read ages ago that should wait 2 days to test a wick and 5-7 to test scentI've never waited that long!!... 2 days for scent and if i can't wait to test a wick 24 hrs

I agree with Clarebell on the tealight

Comment

I'm burning it now and it's behaving beautifully! Thanks, Wicky,

Marion

Comment

I know you have already tested you wick by this point but will add this for future reference.

Testing a wick accurately would require you to act as your customer. So take an average time or just guess how long after pouring would your customer wait to burn your candle. My guess would be 7-14 days.

A candle may be cool and hard within around 2-3 hours after pouring but will not be fully cured for around 2-3 days. A cured candle will be much firmer than a non cured candle. So a softer candle will require a lower temperature to melt and therefore the melt pool would not be an accurate guidance of wick performance.

Now what I have noted above may not be relevant to a tealight because of its smaller size, but when it comes to testing larger candles it will be more important.

N.b I speak from experience of when I first had to test my wicks ready for sale in one of my first candle kits. When I tested it, it worked. When my customers came to making the same candle it did not work. Always remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.
            David Bolger - CEO of Endless Green Group Ltd
            Retailer, Distributor and Manufacturer of Hobby, Craft and Pastime supplies

Candle Making Supplies
            http://www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com

Bolgers Woodworking Supplies
            http://www.bolgers.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Candleman. I continue to have niggles with these larger tealight cups, having wicked up and both wick sizes are doing the same thing (off-centre melt pool, leaving a bit of a shelf, albeit with the larger wick it disappears by the time it's half burned). Mulling it over for now. Thanks for the advice.

Marion

Comment

Working...
              X