Wax Dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Dye

Another quick question. I have various Wax Dyes from different suppliers (mainly Thornes) and never thought to check the type of wax they are made from.

I was about to buy 4Candles' mixed sample pack but notice they are paraffin based. But they don't offer a sample pack of soy-based. As I only use Soy in candles, is using paraffin-based dye likely to be a problem?

Marion

I've bought one dye from 4candles (meadow green), tested and haven't noticed a problem. I also use less than the suggested amount for a weaker colour so I don't know if that would affect how it works with the soy wax. I suppose if you're putting an order in with 4C's anyway then it's not much to lose to grab 5g of dye and do a couple of tests and so far my meadow greens have been okay!

Comment

I use 4candles dye in my soy, it's fine.. All it does it come out a lighter colour, but most dyes do that In soy anyway unless you use loads

i like Fulls Moons dyes

Comment

Thanks Laura and Wicky. I'm inclined to take a chance. The soy dyes they sell are only available in larger quantities and I really wanted to buy the sample pack (a small quantity of every colour) and play about with it. I also wanted to try the fluorescent dyes too which aren't available in soy. Given the tiny quantities of wax, compared to what I'm melting I can't see a problem but then it's been a bad week for wicks ...

Thanks again. I'll let you know,

Marion

Comment

Yeah it'll be interesting to know how your experiments turn out, having only bought 1 of their colours before I'm probably not the best to advise :P

Comment

I've just phoned and left a message on their answering machine. Hopefully they'll call back. I'll let you know! Thanks again,

M

Comment

I think the only issue would be trying to flog your candles as "natural" when you've added a paraffin based dye, no matter how small the quantity.

Comment

I hear what you say, Spencer!

Just heard back from them and they confirm no problem, other than the colour being more muted than in paraffin.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                  I think the only issue would be trying to flog your candles as "natural" when you've added a paraffin based dye, no matter how small the quantity.
                  And when you add fragrance it's no longer natural unless you use EO.. I never claim mine to be natural... I used to colour the jars but leave them natural coloured now

Comment

Yes, that's true as well. Thanks for the comment.

Marion

Comment

Working...
                    X