Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicks

Hi everyone,
    I have tested lots of wicks and got it down to three that I feel give a nice flame, even and not too deep melt pool. So, I made three candles all the same but with different wicks to chose one to make all my candles with but this time with one of the wicks hasn't give me a full melt pool.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you!

My replies keep disappearing!

Anyway, 2nd attempt. I wondered if there might have been a delay (and therefore a drop in temperature) between pouring the 1st and last? Which one didn't achieve the full melt pool? Slightly less wax in that one? FO not mixed thoroughly? Wick leaning? Just guessing really. Hope someone else has more idea.

Marion

Comment

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have 3 candles made to the same formula but with different wick types/sizes?

What are the three wicks? (type and size)
      What size and shape containers are you using?
      What's the wax formula? (type/additives/FO load)
      Last edited by Spencer101; 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
        I'm not sure I understand. Do you have 3 candles made to the same formula but with different wick types/sizes?
        Sorry!
        Yes, I do have three candles with different wicks. I have tested all the wicks before and I was happy with how they performed. So, made three candles with the same formula and the different wicks so I could compare and choose which one to use to make all my candles with. My favourite has been the CSN wick but this time it hasn't giving me a full melt pool like it has in previous candles.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
          What are the three wicks? (type and size)
          What size and shape containers are you using?
          What's the wax formula? (type/additives/FO load)
          Sorry didn't see this bit.

The wicks are RRD50, CSN18 and WEDO14
          I am using these tins ~ http://www.tinwaredirect.com/product122355/t0888-.aspx
          I am using EcoSoya Wax a blend of Xcel (75%) and 135 (25%) and 9% by weight FO

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
            My replies keep disappearing!

Anyway, 2nd attempt. I wondered if there might have been a delay (and therefore a drop in temperature) between pouring the 1st and last? Which one didn't achieve the full melt pool? Slightly less wax in that one? FO not mixed thoroughly? Wick leaning? Just guessing really. Hope someone else has more idea.

Marion
            Thanks Marion ~ I am not sure whats happen, just when I thought I was nearly there!

Comment

I found the CSN 18 too small for that size tin, it didn't give a full melt pool....

have you used different scents this time? As that can affect the testing

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
                I found the CSN 18 too small for that size tin, it didn't give a full melt pool....

have you used different scents this time? As that can affect the testing
                I have used the CSN18 in two tins before a raspberry and chocolate and it performed well. But yes, this is a different FO the freesia and jasmine. I do have the CSN20 but the flame was huge!

Comment

I test burned the CSN 18 with Banana scent and it just didn't reach the edge, I was going to try a CSN 22 but haven't got round to it... But if your saying a Csn20 had a huge flame

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
                    I test burned the CSN 18 with Banana scent and it just didn't reach the edge, I was going to try a CSN 22 but haven't got round to it... But if your saying a Csn20 had a huge flame
                    I lied there ~ the next size up is CSN22. I thought it had a large flame but you might not. I made an orange and cinnamon one with the CSN22 and that didn't reach the edge bit the CSN with a mince pie scent did. Minefield!

Comment

They could do with producing a CSN20... When I've got time, I will try the 22 as I've got a lot of tins that need using up...... And let you know how I get on....I know when I used to make tins ages ago I had to double wick them....but a lot of the shop brought ones aren't double wicked, so there is a wick out there

Comment

Working...
                      X