Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of importing from the US?

Hi everyone! This is my first post.

I have been researching the subject of candle making for the past week or so and also reading many of the posts on this forum. I´ve decided to start up a business in candle and soap making and so have started to order the things I need.

I´ve just placed quite a large order for fragrance oils with a large US manufacturer and I wondered if anybody here has any idea what I am likely to pay in taxes. I´ve had a bit of a look into it and I think there won´t be any duty to pay but I will have to pay maybe 22.5% tax on the total cost of the goods plus shipping.

Thanks

Vela Loca

When importing you can look up the duty payable by first finding out what the customs code for the item is . (This is a world wide agreed categorisation system) It is here
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/sections
    Then, when you have the code you can look up the duty, if any.
    VAT on imports is separate and is 20% plus whatever charge your importer levies to clear your shipment through customs and for paying the duty/VAT on your behalf.
    Plus you have the cost of shipping the item.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
      When importing you can look up the duty payable by first finding out what the customs code for the item is . (This is a world wide agreed categorisation system) It is here .................
      Then, when you have the code you can look up the duty, if any.
      VAT on imports is separate and is 20% plus whatever charge your importer levies to clear your shipment through customs and for paying the duty/VAT on your behalf.
      Plus you have the cost of shipping the item.
      In that case I should just pay 20% of the total order cost + shipping cost and parcel force will be handling the parcel and I think their fee is £8.00. I can live with that

Comment

I order 13 lbs of FO at a time from US- this is what fits in a large flat rate box. I pay approx $60 in shipping (to northern ireland) and another £30 in customs when it gets here- and it is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying from UK supplier. Downside is every order is fairly expensive but economies of scale and all that!

C

Comment

I buy 3 x 16oz at a time, that goes in a flat rate box, I used to pay $23.55 shipping a few years back!!.. Now it's approx $45... Never had any customs charges.. Don't you only get them if the goods are worth more than £36? Well it used to be that in 2007 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wicky View Post
            I buy 3 x 16oz at a time, that goes in a flat rate box, I used to pay $23.55 shipping a few years back!!.. Now it's approx $45... Never had any customs charges.. Don't you only get them if the goods are worth more than £36? Well it used to be that in 2007 lol
            I think it´s £18.00 now. How quickly should I receive my order?

Comment

On average I allow 10-12 days. However customs are a law onto themselves as they can hold it for as long as they want/need so I have to wait for mine to clear them then ship to NI. There a a certain amount if its beneath there isn't a customs charge but I'm not sure what it is. My orders are normally about £140 each so unfortunately customs applies.

C

Comment

Originally posted by Clarabell View Post
                customs are a law onto themselves
                Careful, that's my colleagues you're talking about!!!

Comment

Some companises are much better at customs clearing than others (they have their own facilities overseen by HMRC as I understand it) UPS are terribly slow and slap all sorts of charges on at random. Fedex also charge at random
                  DHL are by far the fastest china to UK but I don't know if USA to here would be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by La Vela Loca View Post
                    I think it´s £18.00 now. How quickly should I receive my order?
                    Normally around the 10 day mark

Wow Clarabell, that must cost big bucks all in one go

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      Careful, that's my colleagues you're talking about!!!

Ooo do you work for Customs Spencer

Comment

An oil order isn't cheap but as I said it is cheaper doing two of those a month from US that buying it over here.

Ohhhhh Spencer!! You can be my insider in customs!!!! Lol! They aren't too bad- normally my stuff clears in bout 4 days but they held one before Christmas for almost a fortnight yet an order placed after that one cleared in two days- random!

C

Comment

Just to let you know the import limit is £15, and this does not include shipping. Goods worth over £15 being imported from non-EU destinations will be subject to VAT plus handling fee's (£8 for royal mail, more for some companies). Goods over the value of £135 will be subject to customs duty. I order a lot from the US and only occasionally will something slip past those pesky customs folks

Comment

Not everything is subject to customs duty - it depends on what it is.
                            For example, I can bring in £thousands of pearls but no duty if they are loose singles or on temp strands. Made into finished jewellery and they would be subject to duty.
                            You need to familiarise yourself with the different customs codes and make sure whoever is doing the clearing is getting it right
                            VAT at 20% is always payable (that's payable just the once when goods enter the EU, after that they can go anywhere in the EU with no more taxes added - small hurrah)
                            (a friend with a pearl business in the USA pays about 4% tax on his imports. thanks her maj's treasury for helping me to be competative)
                            Last edited by Incognito 2; 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

How are you getting through 13lbs of fragrance oil every couple of weeks?

Originally posted by Clarabell View Post
                              An oil order isn't cheap but as I said it is cheaper doing two of those a month from US that buying it over here.

Ohhhhh Spencer!! You can be my insider in customs!!!! Lol! They aren't too bad- normally my stuff clears in bout 4 days but they held one before Christmas for almost a fortnight yet an order placed after that one cleared in two days- random!

C

Comment

Working...
                              X