Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot-Throw Dependent on Surface Area of Candle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot-Throw Dependent on Surface Area of Candle?

Hi all, I've been browsing some research after finding the scent from my Votives to be barely noticeable and stumbled across a video on YouTube explaining that Hot-Throw is down to the surface area of the candle not the amount of fragrance in the candle. I hadn't heard this before (I am a complete beginner) and wondered if this was the same in your experience. I had thought I was failing when my little jar candles and votives had hardly any scent at all but I have been burning them in a large kitchen.

I haven't yet made/burned a large container candle so I cannot say whether it's me or the candles yet!

Hi there,

I'm new to making candles as well and I haven't heard that. Just out of interest, what wax & FO % are you using? I've been using 9-10% of FO in soy and my medium & large containers have a really good scent throw with the smaller ones less so - so there might be some truth in that statement regarding the surface area.

Comment

I'm using Paraffin + 10% beeswax for Votives. 9% FO.
      Browsing this forum I haven't seen any mention of the surface area making any difference which was why I wondered...

Comment

Hi,

Just to make things more complicated, it's actually a bit of both! But you knew that was coming eh?

A 10cm melt pool will give a better scent throw than a 3cm melt pool if they have the same FO load. But a 3cm melt pool with 10% FO will more than likely give a better scent throw than a 10cm one with 3% FO.

I often find that a single votive will fragrance a small to medium room quite nicely with a full melt pool and the right FO load.
        By the sound of things, your formula is spot on. Are you getting a full melt pool?

Also, when you say "little jar candles", how little are the jars?

Comment

Ok so I've had a small glass, but you would expect that. Not to deviat from the original post but spencer I have to say that consultancy fees might be a way forward. :-)

Dacosta to make things slightly more complicated. I posted some thoughts regarding the nose becoming accustomed to smells very quickly. The pros on here came back with some very interesting thoughts.

I don't know the pursuit of mastery demonstrated on here is remarkable. Best wishes.

Comment

yes full melt pool but hardly any scent at all unless I waft it in my face and then it's barely there.
            I've been melting the wax to 175 degrees, adding dye and then adding the scent at no more than 185 degrees at the last minute, stirring well and then pouring. I've been doing a second pour several hours later to fill in the shrink hole and top off the candle, but on burning the candle today I could hardly smell the scent at all. I wondered if the scent had evaporated from the cooled wax of the second pour, so let the candle burn down quite a bit but still no scent.
            Whilst burning the candle I tried closing the door and entering the room later just in case I'd become used to the scent, but still nothing.
            Are my temperatures right? It's the only thing I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
              spencer I have to say that consultancy fees might be a way forward. :-)
              Now there's an idea...

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. If he sends me a bill for advice already given I'll NEVER turn a profit!

Seriously though Spencer, you ARE King Candle round these parts. Maybe we should float you on the Stock Exchange. I'll chuck in a couple of quid ... (pretty good for a Scot!)

McMarion

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                Now there's an idea...

Comment

@McMarion - Float me on the stock exchange? I don't think after the past few weeks of feasting myself on mince pies, brandy cream and... well, brandy, scotch, wine, champagne and pretty much anything else that isn't gin, that I'd actually float anywhere!!! Although I appreciate the gesture, especially if it squeaks a a couple of quid out of your tartan purse!

I'm glad you appreciate all the help and knowledge I've imparted thus far, but surely you all know as much as I do now....
                  That is of course until some of you decide to start on pillar candles....

Comment

Oh the tartan purse hasn't been opened since the old King was on the throne.

And what's wrong with gin anyway? A G&T is a well-known pain-killer, counteracting the effects of the Dayatwork Virus. I can attest to this personally ...

As for knowing all you know, aye right! Currently test burning a jar, having wicked down and the kids have now opened a book on whether it will achieve full melt pool or tunnel. Can't quite believe I'm having this discussion. NURSE????

@McMarion - Float me on the stock exchange? I don't think after the past few weeks of feasting myself on mince pies, brandy cream and... well, brandy, scotch, wine, champagne and pretty much anything else that isn't gin, that I'd actually float anywhere!!! Although I appreciate the gesture, especially if it squeaks a a couple of quid out of your tartan purse!

I'm glad you appreciate all the help and knowledge I've imparted thus far, but surely you all know as much as I do now....
                    That is of course until some of you decide to start on pillar candles....

Comment

Haha, I bet there are moths in there that haven't even learned to fly yet

What's wrong with gin? What's right with it? Horrid stuff!
                      Whilst we're talking about G&Ts though, many moons ago I was a barman in a London nightclub that catered for some of London's more "colourful and flamboyant" citizens. We had black lights above the bar and G&T GLOWS under black light!
                      Not about to go pouring stuff that glows down my gullet! Glad you've found it works on your Dayatwork Virus though

How is that candle burning? Does it look like you're in for taking money off the kids or are they rubbing their hands in glee?

Comment

How is that candle burning? Does it look like you're in for taking money off the kids or are they rubbing their hands in glee?
                        Hmm ... not sure yet. I lit it about 1 hour 20 mins ago. The wick must be slightly off centre so there's a melt pool covering about 4/5 of the top, leaving a kind of crescent moon of wax at one side. Not really sure if that's ok. I have the feeling this wick isn't the right one. I'm going to give it until it's been burning 2 hours then extinguish and see if it needs trimmed. Big HMM ... Kids bored now and disappeared. Or it could have something to do with the tea dishes ...

Comment

The melt pool will catch up on that side too. 1 hr per inch of width remember...
                          So long as the flame doesn't lean too close to the glass it will be fine.

Comment

Ok dokey. It has 50 minutes to make it!

The wick is only slightly off centre - I reckon I left it a little too long and it's leaned over slightly but it's well away from the glass. Thanks for the tips! (as ever)

Marion

Comment

Marion you crack me up!!!! But I'm with spencer on the Gin- kinda reminds me of kitchen cleaner or something similar!!!! and as for consultancy fees- I think I'd be bankrupt if I got your bill spencer! Although I am patiently waiting on your book......!!!

Pillars..... Oh how I would love to give them ago! They seem so complicated compared to good old jar candles! Might have a wee futter about when I get a minute!

And on a completely separate note- what a difference a change in season makes to what folk order! Couldn't keep up with demand for red hot cinnamon before Christmas and now it's all clean cotton, green apple etc!

C

Comment

Working...
                              X