Hot throw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot throw

Hi Everyone, it's been a long time since I have posted on this forum, life got in the way and I haven't had the time to make candles But now I am back

I have revisited some of my old candles and found they have great cold throw but very little in the way of hot throw, unless you are right near them. So, I am looking for suggestions on ways I can improve (or just have any!) hot throw

P.s I have forgotten a lot of stuff about making candles so treat my like a newbie, don't be afraid to point out the obvious! hehe

Hi SilverGems welcome back!
    I'm just browsing through some posts I've missed and noticed no-one has answered your query which is very unusual.
    What kind of wax are you using? Pillar or container candles? Which kind of wicks and FO's?
    I'm still very much a novice at this who has struggled with hot throw in the past but maybe there will be some little nougats I can share with you!

Isabel

Comment

I vastly improved my hot throw by doing 2 things: one was buying jewellers scales (ebay £5) for weighing (not measuring) fragrance oil and the other was by adding the FO at around 84 degrees Celcius. I then leave the candles for 3 days before testing.

Hope this helps, although as Isabel says, it does depend on the wax, FO, wicks etc. In case it helps I use Soy CB 135 and 9% FO. The wick depends on the candle but I quite like the MP (multi-purpose) wicks from Fullmoons Cauldron. I'm now testing wood wicks but have yet to test burn.

Good luck with the hot throw. It's wonderful once you crack it.

Marion

Comment

Thank you both! I made votives with parrafin wax and added 6% FO, I tried burning in a smaller room the other day and hot throw was vastly improved! I made some tart melts with the leftover wax and they were brilliant! I used 4C's 3x6c wick for the votives and they were fantastic, good melt pool, no mushrooming. So not sure if I just need to up my FO load to give it the boost it needs to scent a bigger room!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGems View Post
          Thank you both! I made votives with parrafin wax and added 6% FO, I tried burning in a smaller room the other day and hot throw was vastly improved! I made some tart melts with the leftover wax and they were brilliant! I used 4C's 3x6c wick for the votives and they were fantastic, good melt pool, no mushrooming. So not sure if I just need to up my FO load to give it the boost it needs to scent a bigger room!
          There has been a fair bit of discussion on the forum re candle size/room size/scent throw.
          I use 6% in melts but up to 9% in candles. Marion is right when she says that weighing FO's makes a big difference.
          Rather than upping the FO, which is the expensive part of the candle, I would probably try burning two @6% if the room is large if the scent throw is still poor then increase the FO load. Some scents are just very subtle no matter how much you use. Smells like Baby Powder Freesia, Rose and Jasmine are pretty powerful. I use 3x6C in my votives too and they work well.
          Hope this helps

Isabel

Comment

Working...
          X