Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Wick Questions

Hello all,

I'd like to ask a few questions before trying wood wicks in jar candles (soy + 9% FO).

1. Where do you buy your wood wicks?

2. Is it possible to buy them with sustainers already fitted?

3. Does the suggested candle diameter refer to the diameter of the WHOLE jar or just the opening?

4. I see 4Candles sell a wood wick trimmer. Would customers also need this or are the wicks self-trimming when they burn?

5. Does using wood (as opposed to other types) mean less FO has to be used?

6. Any other tips?

Thanks! Sorry for the millions of questions but I know you'll all know the answers.

Marion x

Hi Marion.

At last some questions that I might be able to answer. But do take with a pinch of salt as you know how new I am to this.

1. 4 candles
    2. Not sure, but isn't that half the fun?
    3. Great question but I always presume exterior.
    4. Self trimming
    5. Same for me. Oh I also used them with beeswax which customers loved. (Easily pleased I guess).
    6. Practice practice practice. Wait a min. Isn't that what you advised me?

the boys will be along with some proper answers. But I used wood wicks in the status jars and the burn, throw and sounds were spot on. Beginners luck!

Best of luck cos I know your results are going to be brill.

Comment

Thanks for such a quick and helpful answer, Rob (except for No 2 - I don't enjoy putting wicks and sustainers together!).

I don't have any yet and still experimenting with jars but it's on my list. I just don't want to go buying the wrong wicks. Mind you, my wrong is someone else's right. It's like that isn't it. As you say, practice practice practice! Touche.

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

1) I have mine sent over from a candle making friend in the US. Still working on my own range though so hopefully won't have to rely on her for too much longer

2) Adding sustainers to wood wicks is far far easier than cotton wicks. Hassle free I promise.

3) The diameter refers to the width of the wax rather than the jar opening.

4) The wicks are easily trimmed without those trimmers (which happen to be very much like a tool I used to use for pulling nails out of wood).

5) Not necessarily less FO but they create a melt pool very quickly to the fragrance releases into the air quicker.

6) If you're going to use them in metal containers, wick smaller than you think you'll need. They give off quite a bit of heat that will be absorbed by the container and this will result in a very deep melt pool.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Spencer - great info, as always.

A supplementary question - I seem to do a lot of experimenting with wicks. In an ideal world there would be a wick supplier who would sell a mixed pack so I didn't have to buy 20 of each, find one doesn't suit then I'm left with 19 useless wicks. Do any suppliers out there offer this?

No rush to reply. Lots to be getting on with!

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

I remember feeling like that when I first started, many moons agoI've got boxes of all sorts of wick sizes

Comment

Ok, one more question (there's always another question!). Oh, actually 2 questions!

I'm looking at Wood Wicks now on 4Candles' website and wondering if I just buy the recommended size or are there any rules about wicking up/down? My jar is 72 mm and their medium wood wick is recommended for up to 75 mm so seems perfect. Or, for soy jars, do I need to adjust this?

Also I notice their wicks come with sustainers but they offer extra packs to purchase. Why do they do this? Do the sustainers bend/break? Are extra ones necessary?

Thanks, as ever!

Marion

Comment

Hi,
                I have been experimenting a bit over Christmas with wood wicks from 4Candles and found that the ideal size for a 75mm container is to use half of a medium size wick. They are easily cut with a craft knife or scissors. Pretty good value if you consider that you then get 4 wicks from each, if using in a votive glass or similar.

Comment

Great idea - thanks! I'll try that.

Marion

Originally posted by Netghost View Post
                  Hi,
                  I have been experimenting a bit over Christmas with wood wicks from 4Candles and found that the ideal size for a 75mm container is to use half of a medium size wick. They are easily cut with a craft knife or scissors. Pretty good value if you consider that you then get 4 wicks from each, if using in a votive glass or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                    I notice their wicks come with sustainers but they offer extra packs to purchase. Why do they do this? Do the sustainers bend/break? Are extra ones necessary?
                    The sustainers don't break easily. The reason they sell additional ones is often you don't need to use a whole length of wooden wick. So if you cut it in half you'll need two sustainers.

Comment

Which makes sense, if I follow Netghost's suggestion of splitting the wick. Thanks, Spencer.

Marion

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                      The sustainers don't break easily. The reason they sell additional ones is often you don't need to use a whole length of wooden wick. So if you cut it in half you'll need two sustainers.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I ordered an extra bag of sustainers when I ordered wood wick. Luckily I did as some of them were not formed correctly and didn't hold the wick properly.

Comment

Thanks - that settles it. Will order extras.

Marion

Comment

Working...
                          X