Hot throw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot throw

As some of you know I have been having problems getting hot throw, so the lovely Isabel (holehouse) who uses the same wax as me and has given me some tips about what she does to get great throw. So, I have just made three tin candles that all use the soya wax blend as recommended and same amount of FO. I have three different wicks ~ WEDO ECO, RRD and CSN. All these wick gave me a good melt pool but not hot throw so hoping the blend can help. I really hope I can achieve good hot throw otherwise I am at a loss what to do next. I am going to leave for a week (if I can) then burn ~ will let you know if I can fill the room with the scent of jasmine and freesia!

Can I ask at what temperature you add the FO? I added mine too early for my first attempt and no hot throw at all.

Now I add mine at 84 degrees, then leave till the wax cools to around 43 degrees before pouring. My current container candle has been poured for less than 2 days and the hot throw is amazing.

I use Soy Wax container blend (although not the same as Isabel, I think) and I do add 9% FO because I think the difference in price between 6% and 9% isn't too much and I am guaranteed a terrific hot throw.

Not sure if that will help.

Marion

ps I weigh (rather than measure) my FO on a set of jeweller's scales from Amazon, as suggested by many of the inmates here!

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
      Can I ask at what temperature you add the FO? I added mine too early for my first attempt and no hot throw at all.

Now I add mine at 84 degrees, then leave till the wax cools to around 43 degrees before pouring. My current container candle has been poured for less than 2 days and the hot throw is amazing.

I use Soy Wax container blend (although not the same as Isabel, I think) and I do add 9% FO because I think the difference in price between 6% and 9% isn't too much and I am guaranteed a terrific hot throw.

Not sure if that will help.

Marion

ps I weigh (rather than measure) my FO on a set of jeweller's scales from Amazon, as suggested by many of the inmates here!
      I have added the FO at loads of different temps 80's, 70's, 60's but nothing. I added this at 60 and poured nearer enough straight after I had mixed it all in which was about 55. I add 9% FO too by weight.

Hot throw is something I am struggling with!

Comment

On another note, how do you know your hot throw is good?
        I know mines not because I generally can't smell the candle when its burning, however when I go out of the room and back in I sometimes get a whiff.
        Do your candles fill your bathroom, lounge, whole house with scent?

Comment

I test burn in my kitchen which is medium-sized. I wouldn't say it fills the whole house but it certainly fills the kitchen and I smelled it in the hall when I came in from the garden this afternoon, about 10 feet away from the kitchen door.

Here's another thought - which oils are you using? I buy from Scent Perfique and That Flaming Candle Company. Both give a good hot throw.

I suspect 60 is too low to add the FO but if you added when it's in the 80s and still no hot throw there must be something else going on. What kind of containers are you using?

Stumped! Poor you - it must be so frustrating.

Marion

Comment

I have been burning in my lounge which I am starting to question as its open plan into the kitchen and upstairs ~ so perhaps the scent is being lost in the space?
            I am using Sensory Perfection FOs and cold throw is great.
            I am using candle tins.
            It is frustrating because I have lots of ideas for scents and selling points but without the hot throw I can't do anything.

Comment

I've just been up to my attic (clearing out) which is 2 storeys up and realised I can smell the jar candle I'm burning up there. So I think if you have a good hot throw there's no doubt.

I think Sensory Perfection oils are very good so that's not the issue. It might be worth testing in another room though. If it's quite a small tin the space may be too large.

Could I suggest one more attempt: heat to around 84 degrees (C) then cool to almost 40 degrees (C) before pouring and see if that works? Then leave for 3 days before testing. Also, make sure you mix the FO in really well. I stir vigorously with a fork when I add the oil, then several times more while it's cooling, to ensure the oil is distributed throughout the wax.

Racking my brains to think of anything else that might be at play. Could it be that something's got into the wax (eg water) or on the jug/boiler you're using which has affected the mix? I've also heard people say that 9% is very high (it works for me) so maybe moving down to, say, 8% might work better? Not sure - casting around for ideas.

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                Could I suggest one more attempt: heat to around 84 degrees (C) then cool to almost 40 degrees (C) before pouring and see if that works? Then leave for 3 days before testing. Also, make sure you mix the FO in really well. I stir vigorously with a fork when I add the oil, then several times more while it's cooling, to ensure the oil is distributed throughout the wax.
                Marion
                I have tried this with my Christmas candles (I think you mentioned it on another thread, so gave it a whirl) ~ the cold scent throw was much stronger and I could smell it when I left and back into the room but my sister said she couldn't.

If these candles don't give throw ~ I will try adding at a higher temp again and different wicks.

Comment

There are so many variables - it is a bit of a nightmare. Best of luck and please report back (fingers & toes crossed!)

Marion

ps editing this because I've just thought: some FOs are stronger than others. I have a couple of tealights you can smell from 3 streets away and others you really need to sniff to get the fragrance. Maybe the same thing happens when they are heated. Could it be you're using quite a subtle fragrance?
                  Last edited by MarionT; 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM. Reason: Thought of something else

Comment

Just to add my tuppence worth....

Leaving the candles for a few days before burning doesn't just allow for the curing time, but also for your sense of smell to reset (there was a nice scientific thread recently about why this is important). You'll be surprised at the difference between how aware you are of the fragrance to how visitors to your house will be.

Also, the size of the room is VERY important. You can't expect a single tealight to fragrance a decent sized room and the same can be said of a single candle in a huge room.

I made some candles for a moving in present for friends of mine recently. They told me they could hardly smell them even though they had two lit at a time.
                    I went to see them in their new house only to see they had moved into an old church and their living space was a huge open plan living room / kitchen downstairs with a balcony floor upstairs. Quite how they figured two jam jar sized candles were going to fragrance all that space I will never know!!

As McMarion says, some FOs are stronger than others and you need to shop around until you find a good supplier (although sounds like you've already stumbled across at least one of the better ones in the UK).

Keep at it and all will work out before you know it.

Comment

Spencer speaks McSense!

McM

Comment

Thanks Spencer and Marion ~ I will let you know how I get on these.
                        Fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                        X