Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New!

    Hello, Just came across this forum whilst looking for some information about candle making. I've decided that one of my new years resolutions should be finding a hobby so i've decided to try out candle making! So far i've purchased the following:

    Thermometer
    Paraffin Wax
    Dye
    Oils
    Wick (WEDO LX 30)
    wick candle sustainers

    Just wondered if a beginner would need anything else to start with? I'm going to make a few test candles to see if the wick i've bought will work well.

    Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

    Thank you
    Natalie

  • #2
    Welcome aboard Natalie. I'm sure you will be the next addict to join the ranks.

    You have almost everything but what about molds if your making molded candles or are you going for containers?

    What type of paraffin wax have you got? There are different types for different jobs.
    http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
      Welcome aboard Natalie. I'm sure you will be the next addict to join the ranks.

      You have almost everything but what about molds if your making molded candles or are you going for containers?

      What type of paraffin wax have you got? There are different types for different jobs.
      I have a few old jars laying around which I was going to use? I bought some paraffin wax of ebay with the description 'premium blended candle wax paraffin with stearin'

      Comment


      • #4
        The wax you have bought contains Stearin. This hardens wax, increases the melt point and creates more shrinkage. It's not ideal for container candles, best suited to molded candles such as votives and pillars. You can use it to make candles in jars but they may rattle when cooled. For your jars you want to use a container blend which is softer and stickier.

        An LX30 is kinda large too.
        http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome to the forum. Well done for having a go. There's a lot of interest in candle making and this is the place for friendly advice. My wife and I started with votive molds and soy wax. We watched so many Youtube movies in the beginning verifying advice given by suppliers. I wish we'd had the forum back then.
          All the best
          James & Cath
          www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Natalie and welcome to this fabulous forum.

            I only joined around October and have learned loads already. Everyone is so supportive and helpful.

            Re your list, I would add a jug for melting wax. Put the jug into a saucepan of hot water - this avoids melting directly in a pan where the temperature can rise rapidly. The more dedicated candle makers here have double boilers but I'm not in that league yet. But be warned - it is seriously addictive. And GREAT fun! Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

            Marion

            ps without wishing to sound negative, don't worry if your first test doesn't go as planned. Mine didn't and I was very disappointed but soon got over it. I'm now waiting to test another new candle so fingers crossed.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd say patience!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
                The wax you have bought contains Stearin. This hardens wax, increases the melt point and creates more shrinkage. It's not ideal for container candles, best suited to molded candles such as votives and pillars. You can use it to make candles in jars but they may rattle when cooled. For your jars you want to use a container blend which is softer and stickier.

                An LX30 is kinda large too.

                Which wax is more suitable for jars? I read that you need to add stearin into the wax so thought buying it already mixed would be easier? Which wick would you recommend?

                Where do you buy your wax etc from? I've bought my first items from ebay as they seemed cheap but i'm not really sure what is the best price to pay.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MarionT View Post
                  Hi Natalie and welcome to this fabulous forum.

                  I only joined around October and have learned loads already. Everyone is so supportive and helpful.

                  Re your list, I would add a jug for melting wax. Put the jug into a saucepan of hot water - this avoids melting directly in a pan where the temperature can rise rapidly. The more dedicated candle makers here have double boilers but I'm not in that league yet. But be warned - it is seriously addictive. And GREAT fun! Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

                  Marion

                  ps without wishing to sound negative, don't worry if your first test doesn't go as planned. Mine didn't and I was very disappointed but soon got over it. I'm now waiting to test another new candle so fingers crossed.
                  Thank you I'm really excited to make my first candle just want to make sure i'm doing it right so I don't waste alot of money!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Small quantities at a time, until you get the hang of it. It's such great fun!

                    Marion

                    Originally posted by pinacalada View Post
                    Thank you I'm really excited to make my first candle just want to make sure i'm doing it right so I don't waste alot of money!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pinacalada View Post
                      Which wax is more suitable for jars? I read that you need to add stearin into the wax so thought buying it already mixed would be easier? Which wick would you recommend?

                      Where do you buy your wax etc from? I've bought my first items from ebay as they seemed cheap but i'm not really sure what is the best price to pay.
                      When you read about stearin it was most likely aimed at making molded candles such as pillars or votives. They are removed from the mold once set. The shrinkage helps. Pillars need strong walls so they don't collapse during burning.

                      In a jar or container, you want to use a container blend. Container blends are softer, have a lower melt point and shrink less.

                      Making a candle in a jar with wax and stearin is possible but it will pull away from the glass when it cools. Ultimately you could end up with a lump of wax rattling in a jar.

                      As you are shopping on Ebay try searching for "container blend wax"

                      Your next question will be Soy or Paraffin, now that's a personal choice with paraffin considered "easier", apparently Soy is easier to clean up if your a messy person.
                      http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I love soy and don't find it difficult at all. And it's lovely being able to just wash the utensils up with soap & water...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I use paraffin and find it a doddle to clean up. Pop on a tray, into a low oven then a quick wipe with some blueroll.
                          http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So i can use the wax ive already bought for votives? Ive bought the mould for them so they are easy to test. Which was on 4candles is best for jars? The one without stearin? So confused!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Marion and spyder should know better :-). Encouraging you. My advice would be to run a mile :-) candle making is sure to make a class b or class a drug in the next governments bill!!!!!!! Seriously Nat. My only advice would be......as soon as you think you have got it right, scrap it and start all again........at much expense :-)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X