T light holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T light holders

Hi Everyone. I have spent some time reading through all the threads on this section and found it very interesting. You all seem to be addicted to candle making and I can understand how you get excited with your creations. I am the same with the things I make. I design something and then cant wait to get in the workshop and make it, often it is a challenge and the reward for me is to see the finished item is all its glory.

I make a wide range of items in hardwoods that I sell at craft fairs. This is the time of year when it is very quiet as things wont pick up again until April so I spend this period each year building up stock and designing new things to make.

This year I have decided to make wooden items with candles and so far have come up with 12 designs and I am very pleased with the way they have turned out and here we come to the purpose of this thread. I decided to start with T lights. I already had some along with a couple of glass holders and I had assumed that all the glass holders were the same size so I ordered a very expensive 45mm drill bit and also ordered 24 glass holders. I went ahead and made a dozen bases in hardwood and yesterday the glass holders arrived. I was very disappointed to find that they were just slightly to big to fit into the 45mm holes. I then trawled the net and after a couple of hours managed to find a drill bit in imperial size of 1 inch and 7/8 ths, which is a whisker over 45mm and at a cost of £35. This means the glasses will not be wasted. I then trawled the net again looking for glasses and found some being sold by a private individual and she measured them for me and they will just fit into the bases i have already made so in a few days all will be well and I would not have lost anything.

Last night I spent a couple of hours on the net looking for glasses for T lights that would fit into a 45mm hole and failed. Thats not quite true, I found some in Australia, 10 glasses for £7-95 plus £37 for postage and packaging (what planet is this guy on) I was wondering if any of you good people could point me in the direction of a supplier where i could order the glasses on a regular basis that would be consistent in size. I am a perfectionist and i want the glasses to be a nice snug fit. I have seen many candle holders made of wood and they dont have a holder in them, just the T light and I am not happy with that idea. many thanks everyone in advance.

I use these, just once have I bought T lights which where just a bit tight. All others have fitted OK.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

I make quite a few variations of wooden T light holders and use the same inserts as Tam. I would advise that you don't go for a snug fit but one where the insert drops neatly in. Wood, however dry you think it is, can and will move and the insert can at best get jammed, at worst shatter. I agree that wooden T light holders are a no-no and are unsafe. I make mine on a lathe so turn the hole, my advice would be to get your inserts, measure them and then make the hole a mm or so larger.

Pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks TePe for the link. I will order some from there. Pete. Thats what I meant, a nice drop in fit. I realise it needs to be a bit loose because of wood movement. Unfortunately I cannot adjust the size of the hole. I know you can on your lathe. I used to make the candle holders on the lathe but when I moved to my new workshop there was no room for it so I make everything on a scroll saw. Once I have drilled the hole its size cannot be adjusted. I am drilling 3/4 of the way into 18mm hardwood so i am hoping when the new glass holders arrive they will fit nicely.

Comment

Hi all hope you don't mind coming in. Couple of quick questions and I know Pete I'm sure you've helped me on the wood forum.

Why would you say that wooden tea light holders are a no no? I've made a small batch of silver birch holder that are around 5cm high by 8cm wide and have drilled a hole just over, a couple of mm to fit the tea lights in. Have done many trials with beeswax tea lights and have encountered no problems.
          T
          he birch was dry stored for 18months before I got it and I dried at room temp for a couple of weeks. Did get a few small cracks but nothing that troubled the drilled hole.

Be interested how using a scroll saw would help me make others, considering the sizes I'm making????

Look forward to hearing thought, comments and any suggestions.

Comment

T lights are often made with different waxes that burn at different temperatures (candle makers can give more advice ' info. on this) and most are held in thin aluminium cases which can get hot. I have had mild scorching occur when I first made some and had the light directly in the wood and though the chances of the wood catching fire or smouldering is slim it isn't a chance worth taking. Another, aesthetic, reason is simply they look much more finished and professional when done with a glass or brass insert.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks Pete. All understood. Without having access to a lathe I struggled to get the right bit to drill the required hole. Hence having made ones which are big enough for the tea light but not the glass holder as well. I think I'm right in saying that beeswax is right up there with the temp of burning and as I said so far no problems. Back to the drawing board re bit sizes me thinks.

Have looked at YouTube re scroll saw and would be interested to learn how / if they can help with any of the before mentioned process.

Comment

Thanks again for the input. ROB. I have been making things on the scroll saw for many years and this year decoded to make things with candles. Its been touch and go as I am feeling my way in. As I forst said. I had a couple of glasses for the T lights and they fitted just nice in a 45mm hole. I then ordered more glasses but they were slightly bigger and would not fit so I have had to order an imperial forstner bit that is 1 and 7/8 ths and this will provide a nice fit without it being to loose. I think the piece is spoilt if the hole for the glass is to big.

I use 18mm thick hardwoods which are very beautiful when finished but as Pete said, I would not dream of putting a T light on its own into one of my designs, its just to risky as some of the wood I use, such as teak, is a very oily wood and could easily catch alight so the glasses and other containers give me peace of mind. Everything I make is done on a scroll saw and some of my designs include various leaf deigns, acorns, hearts and then there are symmetrical designs I have made. All are in various sizes from a single T light to 5 T lights and then I have done some with larger candles in glass tumbler like containers. I have had a lot of good feed back. I am waiting for the larger drill bit to arrive and also a different glass T light holder, all should be here by Friday. I will then post photos on my face book page, Wooden crafts from Wales. I already have a few of the larger creations I have made on there so if your interested have a look. All the best. Geoff.

Comment

Hi Geoff. Many many thanks. Just been over to your FB page and they look lovely. I'm sure you're going to be very busy with them over the coming weeks and months. All the best.

Comment

Hi Geoff,
                    I've just looked at your FB page and admire the pieces you make on your scroll saw. You must have a steady hand.
                    All the best for 2013
                    James
                    www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

Hi Geoff. Am I completely missing an obvious link to your FB page with scroll saw work on or you being confused for Pete?

As a keen scroll saw user myself I'd love to see your work!

Comment

Hi Pete. Sorry your having a job to log in to my face book page. I don't know what to say. I hope you manage to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                          Hi Geoff. Am I completely missing an obvious link to your FB page with scroll saw work on or you being confused for Pete?

As a keen scroll saw user myself I'd love to see your work!
                          hi spencer you have to type in Facebook search thing wooden craft from Wales. Then you'll find it. It's worth the look as Geoff's work is very very good. He's also promised to put up some yew tree candle holders next week.....can't wait.

Hope all is well at your end spence and is there no end to your talents :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
                            hi spencer you have to type in Facebook search thing wooden craft from Wales. Then you'll find it. It's worth the look as Geoff's work is very very good. He's also promised to put up some yew tree candle holders next week.....can't wait.

Hope all is well at your end spence and is there no end to your talents :-)

@Geoff, finally got a chance to look up your FB page (thanks to RWR's pointer). VERY impressive stuff indeed

@RWR, As for an end to my talents? I can't bake a cake for love nor money and I have no sense of distance or direction... will that do ya?

Comment

well it's a start Spencer ............ I know I feel better knowing you're not perfect

Comment

Working...
                              X