Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Votive Tips

Me again!
    Just looking for a bit of condensed info on Soy votive candles. At the moment we're dabbling with containers but hope to move into votive's soon as well so I've bee pricing up the following:
    Soy Pillar Blend Wax (assuming we don't need more additives?)
    Metal Moulds & Wick Pins
    Glass containers
    Ready to use wicks
    Everything I've seen has been on 4candles, aside from the glasses.

I can't seem to see a dedicated suggestion for the best wick to use in these candles so I'm struggling to decide what to buy. Is there a definitive recommendation? I found a thread where people were discussing it here by accident but couldn't find it again when I wanted to...typical!

If anyone has any handy hints on votive's in general it would be greatly appreciated, haven't made any since I was a kid!

Thanks,
    Laura

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum!
    Hope you enjoy your stay. As I'm sure many others will agree, the world of candle making is as addictive as this forum is and you'll meet some very nice people and pick up lots of info on the way

In answer to your question on wicks, there's no such thing as a definitive recommendation. Different people have differing views on what makes a 'good burning candle'. The trick is, buy several types of wick and try them all out to find what works well for you.

There are many factors that will affect the way a candle burns and it's often the case that two candles made in the exact same way with the exact same components by different people will burn slightly differently.

The good news is you've already made the leap into the world of 'natural' wax candles with your containers so you're well on the way. Consider the fact that votive candles, when burning, are effectively container candles. They're just made of a slightly harder wax because you don't have to worry about wet spots and the like. This means the wick you're using in your containers already may also be effective in your votives, albeit a slightly smaller version of it.

I wont jump in and start making suggestions of wicks to use as I'm predominantly a paraffin wax chandler and there are far more experienced natural wax chandlers on here that will give far more accurate help. What I will say is have a look at some of the suppliers and see if they do 'tester packs' of wicks where you get an assortment of different wick types and sizes in one lot, then get testing

Happy melting and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
    I will of course be happy to offer any assistance I can along the way.

Spencer.

Comment

I would suggest starting with the CSN range of wicks for Soya. The size will depend on what scent and dye you add but CSN14, 16 and 18 would get you started.

Comment

Thank you for the lovely welcome! We've put in a huge order to get us started with 100 container candles of various sizes, colours and fragrances, along with 60 tealights - can't wait to get started!

I put together a little DIY votive beginners kit using the norfolk candle company last night and they list 'natural votive wicks' as ES 02 so I grabbed 10 of those, a few moulds, votive pins and some pillar blend soy wax. It should be enough for a few tests and if/when we decided to make those in bigger bulk I'll check out the CSN range - I've seen those more readily available in bulk as well. Thanks for the tip

I've managed to figure out most of the bits and pieces from hours of research but it's really handy to have a nudge in the right direction if I'm not sure about something!

Thanks again, I'll post up a few photos when we have some example!

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
          We've put in a huge order to get us started with 100 container candles of various sizes, colours and fragrances, along with 60 tealights - can't wait to get started!

Thanks again, I'll post up a few photos when we have some example!

Laura
          That's how it starts getting dangerous when huge orders are placed lol. Welcome to addicts corner.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your molds. Sometimes the wait is unbearable.
          http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
            That's how it starts getting dangerous when huge orders are placed lol. Welcome to addicts corner.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your molds. Sometimes the wait is unbearable.

Oh there's nothing like opening those boxes on your first £300 order of wax etc. And it never goes away. You KNOW what's in the boxes, but it's great to see a huge batch of fresh wax ready to be turned into something fantastic. Dangerously addictive indeed!!!

Comment

I am now both excited and worried for my bank balance at the same time!

Comment

Okay so I know these aren't the votives (moulds haven't arrived yet) but I thought I'd share a pic of the containers and tea lights I've been testing out!

Comment

Hi Laura, can't see the pic. The forum requires you to have at least 25 posts under your belt before you can add pics and links. Very keen to see you creations though

Comment

I'd better get posting then

Comment

Only 9 to go.... Shouldn't take long, especially if you're a chatterbox like me!

Comment

I'm still like this when I open a new box of fragrance oils

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                        Oh there's nothing like opening those boxes on your first £300 order of wax etc. And it never goes away. You KNOW what's in the boxes, but it's great to see a huge batch of fresh wax ready to be turned into something fantastic. Dangerously addictive indeed!!!

Comment

Yeah I hope the novelty never wears off and if you guys are to anything go by, it won't!

We made another 18 tea lights and 6 containers this evening and I'm already trying to figure out when were going to need more materials! Still waiting on a few parcels next week though so we've got plenty of presents to open yet :P

The candles we made tonight look good enough to eat, can't wait to get the website up and running!

Comment

Working...
                          X