Buying moulds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying moulds

Me again - I really need therapy for my addiction to all things candle making.
    I've been browsing through some of the candle supply sites looking for inspiration. I've got some paraffin PB that I would like to use in the new year but I'm not sure which moulds to buy. I've got tart and votive moulds and was thinking I might buy some pillar moulds. I've seen plastic, glass and metal in every shape and size. What would I be better starting off with? Any advice about where to buy from? Thanks for your help.
    Isabel

It's a stage we've all go through.

Pros and cons for each type of pillar mould (but you knew I'd say that eh?)

PLASTIC
    Pros: They're cheap and robust so they can take a bit of a bashing if you're clumsy like I am.
    Cons: They're not all that long lasting if you're making fragranced candles in them, the surface will very quickly become matt.

GLASS
    Pros: They result in lovely shiny candles and are very long lasting (if you're not clumsy like I am).
    Cons: They're quite easy to break and are very expensive compared to others types.

METAL
    Pros: They're not too expensive, very robust and last a long time. They're versatile and can easily be used to create different surface effects on your candles.
    Cons: If you don't get seamless moulds you can be left with an ugly line on the side of the candle that you need to deal with (although it's not hard to do).

Metal moulds are my favourite, but I use all of the above and also some latex and silicone ones too.

I think your choice of mould will depend on what type of candle you're going to be making and whether or not you just want a straightforward pillar or something with a specific surface quality (like a high shine or a rustic effect).

Comment

Hi Spencer
      Thanks, thats kind of what I thought.
      I think I'll leave the glass- slate kitchen floor and glass are not a good mix!
      I was looking at the metal moulds on 4c's and thought I might try a 165 square and 165 round mould. Do you think thats a reasonable place to start? I think I'll definitely be going for straight forward pillar maybe try some with chunks in- I really love them!
      Are pillars any easier to wick? (I suspect the answer to that is no!) Most pillar candles I have bought have burned a well down the centre and left an outer case- is this what you should aim for? seems a terrible waste of wax- or do you go for a full burn.
      I have a million questions about pillars but I'll save them until I have the moulds and the time

Comment

Are the mould you mentioned the 75mm wide ones?

Would it surprise you if I told you pillars are actually easier to wick than containers? Because they are!
        Paraffin pillars especially.

The pillars you bought that tunnelled when they burned, did they have anything embedded in the outer surface? If so they are deliberately done like that to stop the embeds becoming fire hazards. If they were just wax with no embeds then they were just massively under wicked.

I aim for my pillars to have a melt pool that almost reaches the edge but not fully. This means the walls don't burst so the melt pool is contained but the walls bend in on themselves and are melted too, so all you're left with at the end of the candle's life is a very short version of the candle.

I shall not go into too much detail on the whole matter here, but rather wait until you have the moulds and start asking your million questions Looking forward to it already!!!

Comment

Hi
          Yes they are the 75mm ones.
          Plain pillars I've bought in the past- mostly from Ikea, seem to either burn down the centre or at a slant, thats one of the reasons I turned to chandling.

I shall not go into too much detail on the whole matter here, but rather wait until you have the moulds and start asking your million questions Looking forward to it already!!!

You may regret this statement!

Comment

For the 75mm ones make sure you order some LX18 wick too. You shouldn't really need to stray too far from that. As I said, easier to wick than containers.

Pillars burning at a slant are usually down to a slight draft blowing the flame heat toward one side of the candle. It could also be down to an off centre wick.

Those Ikea pillars are often made from pressed wax powder (which is why they're so cheap!) but I've never liked candles like that. You will find that even the worst pillar you ever make will still burn better than one of those.

Comment

Working...
            X