Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jars vs straight-sided glass containers

Hi again,

100 questions today! I'm currently making candles in hexagonal jars with lids as I've seen these for sale. And I'm trying to decide if I would be better making the candles in glasses which don't have lids and necks (ie straight sides, or even slightly sloping). I'd be very interested in all you experts' opinions on this. In case it matters, I'm using soy wax and around 9% FO. So here are my thoughts - feel free to tell me I'm talking tripe!

JARS WITH LIDS: plentiful, brass lids attractive and I feel the lids help keep them dust-free and stop the fragrance esaping. On the other hand, it's been suggested to me that necks can heat up and be a potential danger. I also wonder if they do look a bit like washed out jars being used for candles (although they are not)

GLASSES WITHOUT LIDS: I think these looks a bit classier but would the FO evaporate over time? I imagine I won't sell as many candles in the summer months so wouldn't want any I made, say, in the Spring, to lose their odour over the summer months.

Thanks in anticipation!

Marion

ps I'd love to try teacups but no time to trawl charity shops. But it's on my mind ... (hope the wicking worked out ok in yours, Isabel)

When looking for jars try and aim for something with a good width to height ratio. Tall narrow jars aren't as suitable as short stumpy jars. Necks don't cause much of a problem.

I use 1/2lb and 1lb honey jars as they tend to be wide & not too tall. They fit into the short and dumpy class.

As for FO escaping non lidded jars. The surface will dry out of FO but that's about it. I presume once lit and the wax starts melting there will be plenty of fragrance oozing out. Of course lids to keep the top surface clean and when a customer opens one up to sniff there is plenty of fragrance ready to hit them. A lidless container that has dried out could be rather bland on the nose after a while.
    http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Thanks Spyder. Great advice as ever.

I have a lovely, dumpy jar I'm itching to try. Just need to check which wick so may end up going with that.

Thanks again,

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
        Hi again,

ps I'd love to try teacups but no time to trawl charity shops. But it's on my mind ... (hope the wicking worked out ok in yours, Isabel)
        Hi Marion. Yes they seem to have gone well, I made another couple earlier in the week and have now had 3 people approach me for re-fills! It is getting easier choosing the correct wick now that I understand a wee bit more about it but it's still the most challenging part!
        Good luck with the jars!

Isabel

Comment

Marion meant to say, I was trawling the net for jar suppliers and came up with this site as one of the cheapest I could find. I haven't ordered from them yet so can't vouch for them but they have got an amazing selection of jars with very reasonable postage.
          http://www.waresofknutsford.co.uk/

Isabel

Comment

it's been suggested to me that necks can heat up and be a potential danger.
            This will only pose a potential problem if you're multi wicking a candle and put the wicks too close to the edge of the container "shoulders". Or if you use a wick not designed for a container candle that may than lean over and put the flame too close to the glass.

I like the lidless glassware but it does have it's downfalls, as you've mentioned. You can get clear plastic discs that fit the top surface of the candle to keep the dust out and to a certain degree they keep the fragrance from evaporating. I'm sure if you searched long enough down the back of the internet you could probably find push on plastic lids.

I find that kind of glassware more expensive so I use screw lid jars far more often.

Comment

thanks Isabel. This site looks great. I actually have a lovely jar I'm going to try from Richmond glass in Glasgow! Very unusual and quite dumpy, as Spyder suggested. Still trying out the hexagonal one though - the wick has kind of split at the top as if it's holding out its arms. So trimmed it and away to try again today. Ho hum.

Hope the cold is better today. Hoping to escape the Noro Virus which is sweeping the country. Yuk!

Marion

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
              Marion meant to say, I was trawling the net for jar suppliers and came up with this site as one of the cheapest I could find. I haven't ordered from them yet so can't vouch for them but they have got an amazing selection of jars with very reasonable postage.

Isabel

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post

Isabel
                I use them. They are good. I've got a deal on honey jars in multiples of 36's with them but it's not on their website. They are waiting for the new website to be built.
                http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Hope the cold is better today. Hoping to escape the Noro Virus which is sweeping the country. Yuk!

Thanks Marion much better today. As for the Noro -virus good luck-after today I've come to the conclusion that the whole of Scotland is suffering from either that or the cold....unless of course the caller was a man in which case it was pneumonia meets the bubonic plague! Not being sexist just todays work observations!

Isabel

Comment

thanks for cheering me up Isabel, I am enduring a man with the worsy case of man flu in living memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Deepest sympathies, Sheddie!

Marion

Comment

Deepest sympathies, Sheddie!

Marion

Amen!

Comment

Working...
                        X