• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarionT
    Mega Crafter
    • Oct 2012

Clear address labels

Hi All

I am looking for completely clear address labels for jar candles. I have a pack of Avery Clear Address Labels J8560 for Inkjet printers and the pack says "virtually disappear when applied". Well "virtually" is the word. They don't really. I find them quite opaque.

Can anyone recommend absolutely clear inkjet printer labels which would do the job? No rush- this is a work in progress.

Thanks,

Marion
  • Danismum
    So much more than a moderate crafter
    • Oct 2010

I'm after some clear labels aswell, but prob the ones your on about, could you post a pic for me with any writing on so if can see how opaque they are

I don't know about completely clear ones, I assume avery don't do any more?
    Originally posted by MarionT View Post
    Hi All

I am looking for completely clear address labels for jar candles. I have a pack of Avery Clear Address Labels J8560 for Inkjet printers and the pack says "virtually disappear when applied". Well "virtually" is the word. They don't really. I find them quite opaque.

Can anyone recommend absolutely clear inkjet printer labels which would do the job? No rush- this is a work in progress.

Thanks,

Marion

Comment

• Spencer101
      Mega Crafter
      • Feb 2011

The problem is ink jet printers require a surface that the ink can stick to and so they need to be slightly matt, which is why they look slightly opaque when you stick them on the jar. A completely clear label would need a very smooth surface and this would not work well with the ink jets.

Laser printers, although rather expensive, can be ideal for this and you use very clear labels and get good results.

The other option would be to have them printed for you by the experts. May seem like an expensive option but if you're in a position to buy in bulk then the price wont be too bad per label.

Comment

• Danismum
        • Oct 2010

Do you know anyone that prints them?

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
        The problem is ink jet printers require a surface that the ink can stick to and so they need to be slightly matt, which is why they look slightly opaque when you stick them on the jar. A completely clear label would need a very smooth surface and this would not work well with the ink jets.

Laser printers, although rather expensive, can be ideal for this and you use very clear labels and get good results.

The other option would be to have them printed for you by the experts. May seem like an expensive option but if you're in a position to buy in bulk then the price wont be too bad per label.

Comment

• Spencer101
          Mega Crafter
          • Feb 2011

I've been looking at www.selfadhesivelabels.com recently as pondering designing some new ones and they seem like a promising company with a wide variety of styles available and more importantly, they don't demand you order them by the shed load...

There are lots of companies out there though, so a little hunting around the internet should yield something that takes your fancy.

If I stumble across one that does clear labels I will let you know

Comment

• MarionT
            Mega Crafter
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Danismum View Post
            I'm after some clear labels aswell, but prob the ones your on about, could you post a pic for me with any writing on so if can see how opaque they are

I don't know about completely clear ones, I assume avery don't do any more?
            I hope you can see from this photo.

Marion

Comment

• MarionT
              Mega Crafter
              • Oct 2012

Thanks for the info, Spencer. Having them printed appeals to me as, although it's cost, I still have to buy the labels, ink and time. I also think my own label isn't anything special so would like a professional one printed. Hopefully not too expensive but I'll have a look.

Much appreciated,

Marion

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
              I've been looking at www.selfadhesivelabels.com recently as pondering designing some new ones and they seem like a promising company with a wide variety of styles available and more importantly, they don't demand you order them by the shed load...

There are lots of companies out there though, so a little hunting around the internet should yield something that takes your fancy.

If I stumble across one that does clear labels I will let you know

Comment

• spyderuk
                100+ crafts club
                • Dec 2011

I've been looking on Ebay at clear labels over the last week or so. I can't afford Avery labels.

When we got started, packaging and labeling was one thing we wanted to get right. We didn't want to have unprotected, unlabeled stock but we didn't want to lose the "handcrafted" feel in our packaging. In other words, I think we wanted the labeling basic and not as fancy as found on mass produced products.

I'm liking the look of the clear labels but I have been known to cover a wetspot with a label.

Marion. As for printing.

I invested in a new Epson printer as we needed a printer anyway and also invested into a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System). This is basically 6 x 100ml tanks with a silicone ribbon cable that feeds ink into the 6 cartridges. When the Epson software goes crazy and says a cartridge needs replacing, turn the printer off and back on again and hey presto, tank shows full. You can get them for many printers and although there is an upfront investment you will soon save that when you don't buy any more carts. Furthermore, a set of six x 100ml of ink is around £23 so cheap to top up too. I would say 600ml should last a heavy user a year. Ours has been going around 10 months now and I've maybe used 10% of the black and 5% of the other colours and it does get a fair amount of work thrown at it.

Here's a link to where I got mine from for our Epson so you can see the prices. You may find one for your printer you already have. http://www.inkexpress.co.uk/catalogu...o-PX730WD.html

The other half loves it because when she was with the ex, he wouldn't let her print in colour and certainly not print photo's. Now she prints as many photo's as she likes in full colour too.
                http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

• MarionT
                  Mega Crafter
                  • Oct 2012

Thanks Spyder. I'll bear this in mind for my next printer - how interesting! And cheap!

Marion

Comment

• spyderuk
                    100+ crafts club
                    • Dec 2011

Thanks Spyder. I'll bear this in mind for my next printer - how interesting! And cheap!

Marion
                    Your welcome and won't regret it. I've always had Epson's. The most annoying part is replacing a cartridge then it primes itself and another cartridge will then want replacing, replace that and you hit another priming cycle. By the time your ready to print again you have used around 10% of the ink in the first cartridge on priming cycles. Even buying cheap compatible cartridges would work out expensive over a couple of years. If you do a lot of printing the CISS's are well worth it.

After using the CISS for 10 months I would never go back to cartridges or buy a printer that I couldn't fit a CISS onto.
                    http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

• Danismum
                      • Oct 2010

Can't view for some reason

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34043[/ATTACH]

I hope you can see from this photo.

Marion

Comment

• MarionT
                        Mega Crafter
                        • Oct 2012

Trying attachment again ...

Hope it works this time, Danismum!

Marion
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Spencer101
                          Mega Crafter
                          • Feb 2011

I think the information on these labels may be hard to read without that slight opacity.

Looks great by the way

Comment

• MarionT
                            Mega Crafter
                            • Oct 2012

It would certainly have to be black & bold. Labels are ok but the graphic was a very quick choice just to get them printed. Would like something more profesh but it's all money ...

Thanks for your comments Spencer,

Marion

Comment

• Danismum
                              • Oct 2010

Thanks Marion, I can view that picture, they are what I need

Comment

Working...
                              X