Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect candle

....does it exist?????

Have been given this some thought over the past days/weeks. Seeing the amount of threads seeking advise I was thinking are we all trying to produce the same thing??? Yep some might be pillars some might be containers etc but surely we all want to produce some results that reflect our personality?

For example if I was to make you scouse or pan of ash or cottage pie etc etc. some of you might like it, some might not. Some might like to add salt or pepper some might not. We all have different tastes don't we? Otherwise we would all the chasing that same man or woman and what a problem that would be!!!!!!

I will never make candles to the quality of spencer/spyder and other skilled people on here.....never. Reading there previous posts helped me to make 100 candles for a school craft fayre. All of them sold raising much needed cash for PTA. They were not perfect but had a little piece of me/love in everyone.

So in summary in my opinion chasing the perfect candle can be a little costly and lead to less creative individual products getting to market. Candle makers are at the end of the day artisans, so go create art.

Originally posted by Robsmithimages View Post
    ....does it exist?????Have been given this some thought over the past days/weeks. Seeing the amount of threads seeking advise I was thinking are we all trying to produce the same thing??? Yep some might be pillars some might be containers etc but surely we all want to produce some results that reflect our personality? For example if I was to make you scouse or pan of ash or cottage pie etc etc. some of you might like it, some might not. Some might like to add salt or pepper some might not. We all have different tastes don't we? Otherwise we would all the chasing that same man or woman and what a problem that would be!!!!!!I will never make candles to the quality of spencer/spyder and other skilled people on here.....never. Reading there previous posts helped me to make 100 candles for a school craft fayre. All of them sold raising much needed cash for PTA. They were not perfect but had a little piece of me/love in everyone. So in summary in my opinion chasing the perfect candle can be a little costly and lead to less creative individual products getting to market. Candle makers are at the end of the day artisans, so go create art.
    Very well said! In my eyes, the perfect candle is one that burns safely. Good scent throw, no wet spots, unblemished surfaces are all added bonuses. Of course if you were shopping for candles you'd be more likely to buy the perfect looking ones, but some of the candles you see in the shops are shockingly bad and people still buy them!! The point being, it really does appear to be the people hand crafting candle that are so critical of them. It's something I didn't notice before I started making my own and now the missus refers to me as "Candle Snob" each time I pick up a shop bought candle and scrutinise it.PS. Well done on selling all 100 candles. That's an great achievement!!! Are you carrying on the craft or is that it for you?(Again, apologies if this text all comes out in one hard to read block. I'm replying from work and the browser here doesn't agree with the forum for some reason!)

Comment

Hahah. Get some work done spencer :-). Years ago it used to be solataire now it's forums!!!!!!!

Interesting out of the 100 sold, there was a split of 50/50 scented and beeswax, the beeswax were more popular - people buying into the allergy benefits or it could have been that my other boy has asthma and he was pushing them hahaha

As a customer to a craft fair and or online I want to see something different to shop bought otherwise I wouldnt be there! Hope this and that makes sense.

As for me? At heart I'm a photographer, this whole experience has been wonderful. I love making mistakes and learning from them. So to make a few every now and then for friends and family is my limit. But strongly wish you and all your fellow artists all the very best.

Comment

Hi Rob.

Unfortunately I can't accept all the credit as the Mrs makes half of out stock although she leaves jars to me.

As Spencer already posted. Safety is top priority. I would rather sell and use myself a candle with slight cosmetic defects that was correctly wicked. Obviously the prettiest candles out there would not worth having if they weren't wicked correctly. That is 1 reason we are not selling pillars yet although we make them and continue burn testing from time to time. When I am 100% happy with them they will be offered for sale.

Fragrance is another minefield, which I guess is your salt & pepper.

It's all practice. The more you make your better you get at the various techniques and you'll end up with better looking final products. Keep at it if you enjoy it. We still have 2 of our original votive that were poured at the end of last year. Yes 1 year chandling anniversary is coming up hehe.
        http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
          Hi Rob.

Unfortunately I can't accept all the credit as the Mrs makes half of out stock although she leaves jars to me.

As Spencer already posted. Safety is top priority. I would rather sell and use myself a candle with slight cosmetic defects that was correctly wicked. Obviously the prettiest candles out there would not worth having if they weren't wicked correctly. That is 1 reason we are not selling pillars yet although we make them and continue burn testing from time to time. When I am 100% happy with them they will be offered for sale.

Fragrance is another minefield, which I guess is your salt & pepper.

It's all practice. The more you make your better you get at the various techniques and you'll end up with better looking final products. Keep at it if you enjoy it. We still have 2 of our original votive that were poured at the end of last year. Yes 1 year chandling anniversary is coming up hehe.
          Wow and how far you have come in such a short time. Just visited your Facebook page. Some great stuff on there. This is what I'm talking about. ART. Wishing you and all fellow artists a great 2013.

Ps. Sorry to ignore her indoors, best regards to her too :-) and well done.

Comment

Rob, er indoors says "ahh".

Thanks for your kind words. I've never considered it as art but when time allows between mad crafting sessions to replenish stock we like to experiment and have fun. I think that's the main reason we do it. It can be exciting just pouring over chunks at different temperatures waiting until you can slide em out and see what has happened.

I've been looking at the guides over @ candletech. They have added some new ones since I last looked that I'm going to be trying in the new year, some artistic, visual candy lol. There's a few other ideas floating around to peruse in the new year.

Have a great Xmas: )
            http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Working...
            X