Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally nightmare

Just had a total nightmare.
    Been making candles one at a time but today I tried making four (two different scents) for Christmas.
    The tins I melt my wax in weren't really big enough for all the wax I need and made pouring difficult, the sustainers came away from the bottom of the container (I use glue dots) and the wicks fell over (I use lollipop sticks and pegs). Made a total mess trying fix everything. Can you tell I am a novice!
    I need to buy a wax melting jug, a glue gun and something to keep the wicks taught!
    But my house smells Christmassy now!
    Last edited by burning_it_at_both_ends; 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM.

We've all been there! Luckily it can all be tidied up, cleaned and turned into professional candles without too much fuss.

i would definitely recommend a decent melting pot / pouring jug though. Makes life much easier.

A friend of mine uses a small dab of silicone glue on the bottom of the sustainers. Sticks like mad but you have to leave it for 24hrs before you pour the wax. Does mean you can get that wick nice and taught though. Better than a glue gun, but more time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
      Just had a total nightmare.
      Been making candles one at a time but today I tried making four (two different scents) for Christmas.
      The tins I melt my wax in weren't really big enough for all the wax I need and made pouring difficult, the sustainers came away from the bottom of the container (I use glue dots) and the wicks fell over (I use lollipop sticks and pegs). Made a total mess trying fix everything. Can you tell I am a novice!
      I need to buy a wax melting jug, a glue gun and something to keep the wicks taught!
      But my house smells Christmassy now!
      Hi
      I could have written that post myself about 2 weeks ago but, the good news is the candles turned out to be the best I had made!
      I've just made 4 jars, 10 votives and 6 tealights with 4 different scents and no mishaps yet...(still to do the second pour!)

Isabel

Comment

Hot glue guns work well. Glue dots will come away easily once the hot wax hits them. I avoid putting any tension on the wick as I've had 1 or 2 come out of the sustainers.

I use a Wick centering tool, like a plastic cross with a hole in it and a little metal clip to clamp the wick. No slack, no tension.

I've had it myself and I consider it a nightmare to see your wick and sustainer floating around in the jar.
        http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Glue dots are a nightmare- cant put any tension on them without tthem coming away! I got a glue gun (in true style can't remember what make!) that has a few setting, low and high heat. I have found set on the high heat I hve no problem at all! Hateful when sustainer etc starts floating about!

C

Comment

Working...
          X