1st dipped water balloon luminares.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st dipped water balloon luminares.

Haha I know our Spencer like to play with these but has anyone else had a go?

I was browsing around and ended up at candletech. Com and saw it and thought it looked like fun. Got some balloons today and are having a test dip.

These are just a straight wax with vybar will get some higher melt point wax for future dips.

Will post some pics when done.
    http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Can I just jump in here and save you a rather messy moment of profanity later down the line...?

Be VERY wary of which wax you use for these. Some of the high melt point waxes have a higher melt point because they contain stearin. We all know not to use stearin in latex moulds... Why? Because it deteriorates the latex. And what are balloons made of?? Yup, very thin and VERY quick to disintegrate latex.

You can see where I'm going with this and trust me, I learnt it the HARD way!!

Also, I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but make sure the water inside the balloon isn't too cold or the shock when it hits the hot wax can also cause the balloon to fail.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post

You can see where I'm going with this and trust me, I learnt it the HARD way!!

I bet that was an amazing mess!!
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks for the warning but it's a little too late. We have 2 prototypes almost upto thickness cooling ready for final dips.

I thought about this when I thought about using some pro pillar blend. It would contain stearin and could trash the balloon or would it survive long enough. Anyway I avoided it. I suppose I could try the 4c's hurricane additive or more vybar. I still think vybar is too milky as I want to try embedding photos too but then could use stearin blend for final dips over image.

Anyway rambling ahead. Let's try a few first.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
          I bet that was an amazing mess!!
          The better half was NOT impressed and it took me the best part of 8 hours to clear it all up

Comment

Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
            Thanks for the warning but it's a little too late. We have 2 prototypes almost upto thickness cooling ready for final dips.

I thought about this when I thought about using some pro pillar blend. It would contain stearin and could trash the balloon or would it survive long enough. Anyway I avoided it. I suppose I could try the 4c's hurricane additive or more vybar. I still think vybar is too milky as I want to try embedding photos too but then could use stearin blend for final dips over image.

Anyway rambling ahead. Let's try a few first.
            If it's just wax and Vybar you should be OK. It's just the stearin (or any blend that contains stearin) that causes the issues.

One way around it is a few dips in straight paraffin then the bulk of the dips using a paraffin stearin blend. This should keep the stearin away from the balloon itself.

I've used the PE22 additive for these too, but it takes away a certain amount of the translucency that you'll be wanting with luminaries.

Comment

PE22. That's the one I was thinking of. If it's not translucent enough I'll try my previous plan.

They are cooling nicely though mine kept rolling over during cooling causing havoc with the base. Heatgun and a tray helped smooth things out. Ready for final dips soon.

Getting excited now.

Comment

Ok guys, I know, I know, your waiting for pics.

First up is a pic of the twins after 95% of dipping about 30-40 dips at 80c.

Second up the twins after some bad leveling work and 4-5 dips at 85c.

Just letting them harden in the conservatory for an hour or so before using them. We will be using them on a candle plate just in case. We'll be testing with polcarbonate tealight molds as I think they should be cooler than aluminium. I was thinking of sourcing thin cork circles which could be glued inside the base to protect from heat. Something else to hunt down for cheap.

Tomorrow I must try another but with some images embedded. Can't want to test the glow factor, personally I think these maybe a little thick.

If anyone does want to try this please take note of Spencers post above about stearin and rubber. Eye protection is highly recommended. Even using a blend without stearin a balloon can "just" burst whilst dipping causing hot wax to be thrown around. Please work safely.

They were fun to make, and a nice change to pouring votives and jars.

Comment

Excellent work! They look great. Better than my first attempt at these!

I often make these and use them as the container, so I pour container blend into them and wick like a jar. Fill them half way so you still get the luminary effect.

The cork circles are a great idea. I though of the same but had trouble sourcing them at a decent price. A sheet of cork and a paper craft die cutting machine worked but it's added expense if you don't have one to hand already. Luckily the other half has three!
                  Now if I'm making them as shells for tea lights or votives I pour a little plaster of Paris into the luminary. Serves as a heat proof base so you could use aluminium tea light cups in there too, but also has the benefit of being self levelling so you get a nice flat surface for the tea light/votive to sit on.

Anyone else inspired by SpyderUK to give them a go?

(just noticed, this is my 1000th post! I remember when I was struggling to get to 25)

Comment

Cheers fella was certainly fun. They glow lovely but I'm getting softening top inside edges. Must build bigger, wider and stronger lol. Battery died in camera so sorry no updates tonight. Must try and find one of 2 chargers I have. I lost one hence the second and yup the original turned up again.

Just about to check if 4c's hurricane blend says owt about stearin I'm hoping it's just a straight wax with a higher meltpoint.

Comment

Still not found a charger but have snagged some pics on my phone.

Anyway. After last night trials we made another 3 tonight. Bought a pack of balloons and made these a little larger and a little thinner. The Mr's got one of those empty catering sized tins from work. The edges were remarkably smooth so no safety precautions to take there. The wax didn't half melt fast. These make great cheap/free dipping pots. I tried attaching some images but a few coats of wax and they didn't show through so well. Paper was a little thick but I have a few more plans to attempt before I give up dipping.

Comment

Build the bulk of the wax up and attach the pics only for the last dip or two. Make the wax hotter for those and it will give a thinner coating. That's how I do mine anyway.

It's a pain getting the pic to stick without any crinkles in it due to the shape of the balloon.

I like the idea of those big tins for dipping. There's a bloke down the road here that must feed himself beans all day long as he's always got those in his recycling tubs. Perhaps I'll grab a couple

Comment

We have another tin coming today so I could set it up with a stearin blend for final dips. I'm presuming it wouldn't be as milky as the vybar blend so the image will show through a little better. Getting them to stay flat to the sides is indeed a headache. I'm sure I have some super thin paper somewhere.

Must order p.o.p for bases too, almost melted a hole through one last night haha.

In other news. I really must get my hands on some hurricane molds and kit in the new year. I have so many ideas running wild in my head for these. The ultimate in personalization and something a little different from the norm.

Anyway, tonight is a night without wax as I'm taking the other half to watch Bond at last.

Comment

Just found this post after I was looking at balloon experiments so I'm reopening!

Main question - would PB soy wax have a high enough melting point for this? I belive it's the wax from ecosoya with the highest melt point but I'm not sure it would be high enough and I don't know what else is out there for this job from a soy perspective so if anyone has any pearls of wisdom, please do throw them at me. (not too hard though, thanks.)

Comment

Hmmmm... never tried making these with anything but paraffin, and even then I use a very high melt point paraffin or a paraffin heavily loaded with stearin.

I have a feeling that soy, even the pillar variety, would be too brittle and have a melt point too low to make this successful.

Happy to be proven wrong though...

The other thing I think might be a problem is soy is far less translucent than paraffin and the whole idea of luminaries is they glow.

Comment

Working...
                              X