No announcement yet.

Competition ~ is the nastiness normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition ~ is the nastiness normal?

Having only recently started to make candles, I've been surprised & warmed by the support I've received. My products are still in their infancy ~ I need to get packing and the finer details sorted out before I'm even approaching some kind of satisfaction, but my basic product is good. I know that, and the number of repeat customers verifies this.
    But I've had a really nasty experience today, one which has left me considering whether I want to carry on making candles. After attending my first (and probably last) craft fayre on Sunday, where I was happy with my sales & met some lovely people, I found that one person I spoke to (who appeared to be quite encouraging at the time) has approached another local candle maker (who sells completely different products to myself ~ completely) and made very disparaging comments on her FB wall about me. Not only this ~ the candle maker in question has made all kinds of threats to report me to this that & the other ~ claiming that I've copied her products (I make soya jar candles & melts, she makes paraffin wax melts in the shape of breasts, w*illies and the like as well as candles in trifle jars, does parties, hen nights & so forth) even though she admits that she has never seen or smelt them.
    Why are people like this? I've never come across her before (she claims to be a professional, having worked in colleges teaching art & design, and has qualifications ~ can you have qualifications in candle making?)
    Has anyone else had this problem? I'm seriously considering jacking it all in. I don't want to have to worry about coming across vitriolic people like her.
    http://www.facebook.com/SalsScents

What you sew, you shall reap!

Take no notice. If she has publically liabled or slandered you then you can inform her to remove comments or you will be forced into taking legal action.

On a related theme, I always welcome newcomers to our farmers market and am helpful etc. I believe that as crafters we should be a united front.
    I approached a new stall holder at the last market and found that my welcome had already been passed on by another stall holder who I'd taken under my wing and explained in the early days that only the foodies come before 10 o clock and not to be disheartened when people pass by the stall. Also that the clients at that particular market do the loyalty thing and if you stick out the first few markets, they become very loyal and come with lists etc. In my experience, the mardy ones, the complainers and the competitive ones fall by the wayside.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

She's been clever enough not to mention me by name, or the name I sell under.
      Like you, I think mutual support & encouragement are so valuable. If she had seen what I sell & had an opinion which may well have been critical, I would have valued it, taken her comments on board and learnt from her experience. That she's felt the need to plaster insults over her page I hope says more about her than me.

Comment

DO NOT JACK IT IN!!
        This is just someone who is threatened by you and the success you're having with your fabulous candles.
        Ignore the threats about reporting you ~ what can she say, that you make candles too?! Yours and hers are so different ~ she won't have a leg to stand on.
        Just concentrate on what you do, forget the haters and be the best candle maker in your area!
        xx

Comment

Originally posted by burning_it_at_both_ends View Post
          DO NOT JACK IT IN!!
          This is just someone who is threatened by you and the success you're having with your fabulous candles.
          Absolutely 100%!!!!!!!!!

That she's felt the need to plaster insults over her page I hope says more about her than me.
          Hopefully it'll make her customers think twice about what kind of person they're dealing with I know it would me. I'm always amazed at people on twitter and forums making nasty digs at others or constantly being negative when they are posting under their business name - there's a restaurant near me that I like (obviously because I follow them on twitter) but after seeing them make an obscene rant about a difficult customer I'm not sure if I'd want to go there again.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

well, I would thank her for the check list on who you need to contact and go through all her theatened to report to people and if there is a grain of possibility get in there first - she might, after all, report you.
            Being pleasant and polite makes you look much the better person so is doubly a good thing to do

Comment

She doesn't have anything to report me about tho! I'm insured, our products are completely different, our markets are different ~ I've chatted at length with trading standards about what it is good & not so good to sell and I've never had a complaint. She says she's going to report me to the tax office because my income might affect my hubby's tax allowances, yet I have two tax inspectors in my family who have verified that I'm in the clear.
              I must be very naive, that's all I can say ~ to not realise that people like this exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah43 View Post
                She says she's going to report me to the tax office because my income might affect my hubby's tax allowances, yet I have two tax inspectors in my family who have verified that I'm in the clear.
                What does she know really know about your financial situation, lovely? Nothing!
                You have nothing to worry about.
                Some people like to have a go at making people feel like rubbish or that they shouldn't be doing something to make themselves feel better.

Comment

A silly insecure and jealous woman.
                  my only qualm is that if she is so bonkers about a little bit of competition she could be a serious stalker ..be vigilant

Comment

Many thanks. She brags about having a degree in art & design & that she is a teacher, which I find alarming. I've been a history teacher on & off for 16 years, but I would hope I have the integrity not to behave like her.

Comment

People like her pee me off!!
                      you will find a lot of candlemakers have similar designs, probably more from inspiration ... She hasn't patented her product and can't, so just ignore her

Originally posted by Sarah43 View Post
                      Many thanks. She brags about having a degree in art & design & that she is a teacher, which I find alarming. I've been a history teacher on & off for 16 years, but I would hope I have the integrity not to behave like her.

Comment

I sell soya wax jar candles, a few tea lights, votives & simple wax melts. She sells (no, not sea shells!) all manner of peculiar things, but there is no cross over between our products. I think it's a case of hard cheese, tbh. I would be mortified to think I'd inadvertently copied the products of someone who trades so close to me (she lives 10 miles away) but I haven't. In my opinion, any kind of competition can only be a good thing ~ it keeps us making the best product we can.

Comment

As annoying and frustrating as it is take no notice and have a sly little smile to yourself knowing that she is making herself look like a right pillock.

As long as you have your Public and product liability covered and keep your paperwork organised you have nothing to worry about.

Let her rant and rave and you just keep a Cool head. Do not retaliate. If you must get some or make some Willy and booby molds. If I got accused of copying designs and trolled online about it Im the kind of person who would then go out of my way to copy everything I've been accused of. Does she have sole rights to Willy candles? Yeah right.
                          Tldr: Don't worry, be happy. Invest in a few Willy molds.
                          http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Willy molds?! Oh blimey!

Comment

Just make sure your willie moulds are bigger than her willie moulds!

Comment

Working...
                              X