Coloured chunks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coloured chunks?

I want to put some coloured chunks in my candles like the lily flame and bombs cosmetics ones.
    I am going to make the chunks with moulds but at what point would I add the chunks do you think? Just as the candle is setting?
    Thanks!

Wait until the wax surface sets enough that you cannot see molten wax below it, but it's still very soft to the touch, then gently poke the chunks in. You'll easily tell if it's too soon or too late.

One think I will say is, get the main candle wax nice and cool before pouring otherwise your candle surface will sink with the chunks inserted and a top up to make the surface flat will cover up most of the chunk(s). You can see what I mean by the bombs cosmetics link you provided (although they appear not to have bothered with the top up.

Comment

Thanks Spencer.
      I will give it a whirl in the New Year!

Comment

I end up doing a second pour but it's not that deep.
        Once poured I drop the chunks in. Works great in container wax but I Don't use container blend for the chunks. Any votive blend will do as long as it's safe in your chunk molds.

I did some heart tins earlier in the year but sunk the red heart imbeds flush with the surface with the wick through them. Just push them in place an hour or so after the 1st pour then 2nd pour around them. There are some pics on our Facebook page that might give you some ideas.
        http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Ahhh I see it's the variation of the 'chunky monkey'

where you use 3 colours of wax. ie a slab of red and a stab of green, then brake up into different size pieces

Drop them into your glass seethrough container a then pour over slowly white wax. So when set you see muted greens and reds chunks against the glass and have bits of red and green chunks sticking out the white wax at the top.

Some times we also make tiny wax moulds of shaped coloured wax and pour the white wax over the top then gently add some more bits sticking out the top. This we do with tweezers as we don't want fingers in the hot wax.
          So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

These sound lovely. Very tempted to give it a try. Where do you buy chunk moulds? Or do you just use any squaring container?

Marion

Comment

Originally posted by MarionT View Post
              These sound lovely. Very tempted to give it a try. Where do you buy chunk moulds? Or do you just use any squaring container?

Marion
              I am going to give it a try in the new year.
              Sensory Perfection sell moulds and have lots of shapes x

Comment

Thanks. I may add some moulds to my next FO order.

Good luck with yours!

Marion x

Comment

For normal chunks pour into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Leave to Cool. When firm but still softish using a pizza cutter is best, cut into strips one way then cut into chunks across the strips.

I'll snap some pics next time I make chunks.

Molds can be used for different shapes but the above is simple for straight chunks.

Comment

Thanks Spencer - great idea.

Marion

Comment

Great tip
                      I'm going to try that

Originally posted by spyderuk View Post
                      For normal chunks pour into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Leave to Cool. When firm but still softish using a pizza cutter is best, cut into strips one way then cut into chunks across the strips.

I'll snap some pics next time I make chunks.

Molds can be used for different shapes but the above is simple for straight chunks.

Comment

Good luck. The hardest part not forgetting it and end up facing a slab of hard wax. You want it so you can remove it from the tray and handle it, firm but soft. The edges maybe a little crusty. About 60 - 90 minutes for me.

Once you make your cuts leave them. Separate once cooled. Then the fun begins. Different pouring temperatures and heating the molds can produce different results.

Have fun: )

Comment

Mr Spyder is a master at chunks. Very jealous of the straight lines he manages. I cut mine with a metal ruler and a craft knife (lost my pizza cutter somewhere in the mayhem that is my candle room) and they don't end up looking as neat as his!!

But I thought I'd just jump in here with a little additional info...

An important part of being successful with making chunks is the right sized tray. Too small and it's hardly worth the effort unless you have lots of trays, but too big and it's a whole different kettle of frogs. The wax cools from the outer edge first and works its way toward the centre. If the tray is particularly large you will end up with wax ready to be cut at the outer edge and too soft to be cut in the middle.

After testing several size, I settled on ones that are about the size of an A5 piece of paper. With wax around 1cm deep, they cool to cutting point in around 30 minutes.

Comment

Master lol master in training. Our trays are about A4 size, the 99p ones from B&M. For votive chunk thickness I can fill a tray with 600gms of wax. I forgot to mention I line the tray with greaseproof paper. If I want to do half a tray I roll a piece of bluetack to form a wall across the centre of the tray.

As Spencer points out, smaller trays will cool faster. Pizza cutters work well I stole 2 from the kitchen now. Yeah I lost 1. My chunks vary sometimes I go way off course but a slightly randomness to the mix is OK. They are one my my favourites and do tend to pull the customer, especially when when it's combined with a funny fragrance name.

Comment

Not that I have ever made chunks on any scale, although reading this thread makes me want to do it more. Maybe Spyder or Spencer could answer this one.

If you were to pour your coloured wax into your baking tray, at around say 55-60*C then after around 2 mins pour another coloured wax in a swirling motion to create a tie dye effect, think that would work?

Only reason I ask is I don't know how hot to pour them or how quickly the surface cools.

By the way I got the idea from an american sweet show (kid in a candy store). I know this sounds irrelevant but making chocolate is almost the same as making candles. So why not copy their techniques and some ideas and shove a wick through it :P
                              David Bolger - CEO of Endless Green Group Ltd
                              Retailer, Distributor and Manufacturer of Hobby, Craft and Pastime supplies

Candle Making Supplies
                              http://www.thatflamingcandlecompany.com

Bolgers Woodworking Supplies
                              http://www.bolgers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X