Wood Wicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Wicks

I'm trying out wood wicks in a bowl container that I thought might be difficult to wick with ordinary wicks. So far, the results are very impressive, I've got a great hot throw, good melt pool and can hear the wick crackling away nicely but I have a couple of questions.
    How low do you trim the wicks initially? All the wood wick candles I've seen seem to have quite a long wick end protruding. After burning how do you care for the wick - is it trimmed back or left? I'm sure I read in a previous post about priming the wicks in wax but I can't find anything on t'internet about doing that. Finally (maybe!) does the same 1 hour per inch apply to burning? The only downside I can see at the moment is that the flame is quite dull has anyone else found this? Definitely think it's the way to go for these particular containers but, given that I enjoy a challenge, I will continue with the test test test of ordinary wicks!

you are right, in a previous post Val (sheddie) mentioned priming the wicks in some wax. i just tried that on a recent batch but am patiently waiting to try them out to give them time to cure properly.

glad to hear you are having good results with the wooden wicks - i just ordered a large batch and am really looking forward to experimenting with them.

Comment

Hey! I am a big fan of wood wicks! I offer them along with ordinary wick and find they they are becoming more popular as people get to try them! As for priming it depends where you buy them- most places will have them dipped (oiled not waxed) already and they are basically ready to go! They do give off more heat so I find they give a full melt pool quicker but they even out. As for trimming them- this is the only down side- they tend to be smokier than normal cotton core. They have to be well trimmed and maintained to stop this which I have found to my surprise joe public don't seem to be aware they have to do!! They automatically do away with any wick rigidity problems and are so easier to use. And of course the crackle is lovely! I have one client who orders nothing but wood wick now!!

Hope this helps!

C

Ps oh and also (I'm on a roll now!!) because they really only come in like S, M, L and XL it cuts down wick testing time!!

Comment

I've bought wood wicks from many suppliers and some advertise them as "treated" and ready to go and some say they need priming before use.

If you're unsure, then contact the supplier directly just to make sure. They're usually very happy to assist.

Many websites say trim the wick to 1/8th of an inch before each lighting, but I find a little longer than this in candles over 2 inches in diameter is better.

These wicks can be quite good at keeping themselves trimmed (some better than others). The will end up rounded after a burn and will only really need trimming if the highest point protrudes from the wax by more than 1/4 inch I find.

Sometimes the flame can be a bit dull on wood wicks, but often it's a sign that you need a slightly bigger one or have trimmed it too short.

I'm working on a line of wooden wicks myself at the moment
        Last edited by Spencer101; 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Clarabell and Spencer
          Thanks for your help.
          C, I can absolutely understand why some of your customers only want wood wicks, the crackle adds a special touch to the candle. I was really impressed by the scent throw I got early on in the burn. I've only seen XL for sale in the US is that where you get yours?
          Thanks Spencer cracking (excuse the pun) advice as usual, I got a full melt pool with the large wick so, other than going with two small or med I wouldn't be able to increase the wick size. I contacted 4 candles yesterday about the wicks and they advised they were pre primed they do feel slightly oily but I wondered if users still advised to prime them.
          When you say your working on a line of wooden wicks do you mean your making them yourself? If so put me down as your first customer!!!

Comment

This is fascinating and I can feel a new experiment fast approaching! (oh dear)

Can I ask you woodies if wooden wicks can be used in jars? So far I've only done tealights and still playing with jars to get it right. So not looked at other containers.

Thanks in ancitipation!

Marion

ps another question - how easy is it to trim a wooden wick (or any wick for that matter) in a jar? Obviously, as chandlers we can invest in wick trimmers but customers wouldn't have these and in a small jar you wouldn't be able to get the scissors at the right angle. Or am I missing something?
            Last edited by MarionT; 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, wood wicks are ideal in any kind of container fit for a candle.
              They create a very wide melt pool so I wouldn't recommend them for pillar candles unless you're 100% sure they're perfectly matched to the candle width.

As for trimming wicks in jars... nail clippers are IDEAL! They work well on any kind of wick (including wooden ones). What kind of customers do you have if they don't have several sets of those

Comment

Originally posted by holehouse View Post
                When you say your working on a line of wooden wicks do you mean your making them yourself? If so put me down as your first customer!!!
                Yup, exactly that
                Might be a success, might not... Done a little testing myself and all seems to be going well, but I obviously cannot test every wax type in a plethora of container shapes and sizes, so I need to call in the cavalry. And that's where you lot come in

Once I've sourced a decent supply of sustainers and am happy with the prototypes I will be seeking testers. I'll put your name at the top of that list

Comment

Is there ANYTHING you don't know, Spencer???

Thanks as ever - the official found of all chandling knowledge!

Marion

Comment

I'm sure there are one or two things, Marion

Comment

Once I've sourced a decent supply of sustainers and am happy with the prototypes I will be seeking testers. I'll put your name at the top of that list

Woohoo! I don't think I've ever been at the top of anyones list before!!
                      Seriously-happy to help if you think a feckless chandler can. (Is feckless a Scottish word? If so it means useless!)

Comment

I'm half English half Welsh and I know what feckless means. In fact I have two brother which I describe as exactly that
                        But I'm sure you're not!

And seriously, I will be looking for testers, so look out for a thread with me pleading for help quite soon

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                          I'm half English half Welsh and I know what feckless means. In fact I have two brother which I describe as exactly that
                          But I'm sure you're not!

And seriously, I will be looking for testers, so look out for a thread with me pleading for help quite soon
                          Haha poor brothers - and here was me thinking with all that knowledge, brain power and wisdom you must surely be a thoroughbread!!!

Comment

Haha! Are you saying somehow I'm not thoroughbred? It's the English bit isn't it?

(Joke! I don't mean offence to anyone!)

I mean just look at that beautiful blonde hair in my pic! That's got to be thoroughbred!!

Not so sure about the lime green jumper and brown dungarees my mother had me dressed in though...
                            Last edited by Spencer101; 06-12-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Do you add your own sustainers to wood wicks, Spencer?

Marion

Originally posted by Spencer101 View Post
                              Yup, exactly that
                              Might be a success, might not... Done a little testing myself and all seems to be going well, but I obviously cannot test every wax type in a plethora of container shapes and sizes, so I need to call in the cavalry. And that's where you lot come in

Comment

Working...
                              X