Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is tunnelling always about the wick?

Hiya,
    I've run into another hurdle n just wanted to pick ur brains for some advice.
    I'm trying to make a soy wax candle with eo and it worked fine but when I make it in a larger jar it won't burn right to the edges. I think I've gone up about 6 wick sizes so far and I'm wondering of it'll ever get there... It's a square jar about 8cm wide and I'm using cdn wicks.
    Do I just keep wicking up or is there something a newbie like me is missing?
    Thanks in advance!

You can only go so big with wicks before the flame just gets too big.

Three possible solutions:

A hotter burning wick.

Multiple wicks.

Lower the wax melting temperature. (Not sure what you'd add to soy to achieve this)

Comment

Cool, thanks Spencer.
      I've been thinking of double wicking but wanted to avoid it if I could.
      Any suggestions on how to find out what brand of wick burns hotter?
      Maddy.

Comment

It's not so much which brand as which type.
        Have a look at this link for details of the order of wick burning temperature.
        http://www.candlewick-supplies.com/File/wick_types.asp

As for multi wicking, it's not so difficult and the results often sell very well

Comment

Thanks!
          A great resource.
          I've never double wicked and am secretly a bit afraid of it. Is there a secret to success? I'm worried of they will fall into each other... Is there a rule about how far apart they should be?
          So many questions lol.

Comment

Try using a wood wick.

Comment

Originally posted by Madddy View Post
              Thanks!
              A great resource.
              I've never double wicked and am secretly a bit afraid of it. Is there a secret to success? I'm worried of they will fall into each other... Is there a rule about how far apart they should be?
              So many questions lol.
              There's no real secret at such, just a few things to remember.

If your container has 'shoulders' (the opening is narrower than the container's widest part) make sure your wicks are not positioned under the shoulder to ensure the flame never touches the glass.

Use a cored wick to stop them leaning over in the deep melt pool. Again to stop the flame coming into contact with the glass.

Select a wick suitable for a candle half the size. So a 45mm wick for a 90mm wide container.

Position the wicks an even distance from each other and the container walls. So in the 90mm container, you want the wicks 30mm from each other and 30mm from the container.

There's really not much more to it than that so give it a whirl

Comment

Originally posted by Netghost View Post
                Try using a wood wick.
                I was about to suggest the same thing.
                http://www.facebook.com/rugeleycandles

Comment

Ok,
                  So I've decided double wicking is the way to go with this obstinate little candle. (I wanna try wood wicks too but don't have any on hand).
                  I've found it almost impossible to find any cored wicks here in Oz though.
                  So.... From my current wicks on hand I have htp, cdn and acs. I'm not sure it you would know which would be better? I've done some research and it seems they are all braided? I think the htp one has a paper weaved into it?
                  Hmm so I'm a bit stumped cos I don't want them to become a fire hazard.
                  Suggestions?
                  Ps thanks Spencer for encouraging me to give it a go.
                  Maddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Madddy View Post
                    Ok,So I've decided double wicking is the way to go with this obstinate little candle. (I wanna try wood wicks too but don't have any on hand).I've found it almost impossible to find any cored wicks here in Oz though. So.... From my current wicks on hand I have htp, cdn and acs. I'm not sure it you would know which would be better? I've done some research and it seems they are all braided? I think the htp one has a paper weaved into it?Hmm so I'm a bit stumped cos I don't want them to become a fire hazard.Suggestions? Ps thanks Spencer for encouraging me to give it a go. Maddy.
                    I've never tried the ACS ones but after a little research of my own I'd say the HTP would be the best of the three wicks you mention. It has paper strands woven in to help with rigidity to stop the wicks leaning. So that would be your best starting point.Multi wicking isn't as complicated as it might seem. Just remember you'll be using a smaller wick than usual. The trick is finding one that is small enough so two (or more) of them wont cause too deep a melt pool but big enough that they don't drown in a bigger melt pool than would be created by just one of them. Make sense? Confused myself a bit there.Good luck. I look forward to hearing/seeing how you get on S.

Comment

I know this reply is waaaay overdue but I've been a bit unwell for a bit and so candles were put on hold.
                      But the good news is, it worked!!
                      I got a wonderful scent throw, and a perfect burning candle. Yay! And I think the double wicks look so pretty. :-)
                      It did take a while experimenting with different wick sizes but was totally worth it. :-D
                      Ps.. It feels like l haven't been on here for ages! Just spent a while catching up on everything. Glad to be back. :-)
                      Maddy.

Comment

Glad to hear you found your solution! I like a double wick in certain jars- customers seem to like it too which is always good!!

Hope you are feeling better Maddy!

C

Comment

Hope you're feeling better now, Maddy and it's great to see you back, especially with your good news story about double wicks

See, told you it wasn't so difficult!

Can we expect to see some pics of them soon???

Comment

Sorry you've been unwell Maddy but glad to see you back now.

Can I ask another, typically "thick" question please? If you double wick a candle, does it burn twice as fast? Or does wicking down to half size mean it works out the same?

(please don't laugh! Well only a little ...)

Marion

Comment

Working...
                            X