What if?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if?

This is purely a "what if" question...but what if there was water in the melting pot or the container you poured the wax in? What would happen? Just curious....thanks

The water would pool below the wax. It may cause even worse wet spots than usual and could soak up into the wick and cause a very sputtery (not a real word, but it should be) flame.

Personally I'd avoid it at all costs.

Comment

I've seen dipped candle's made this way.

A large burko filled with water boiling away with scented wax on top. In go the wicks dipped and pulled out again hang for a few moments then dipped in again.

The lady was doing loads of them. I watched her do it in her candle making workshop and shop in a little village in pembrokeshire. Her dipped candles were amazing and the smells mmmmmmm heavenly.
      So many projects, so little time

http://folksy.com/shops/eileenscraftstudio

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fol...92535377497013

Comment

How much water would it take to ruin it? So if a few droplets spattered into the wax while in the double boiler, is that batch ruined and unusable? Why would anyone use a double boiler if this could happen?

Comment

Hi, just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth! A couple of weeks ago I weighed out 1/2 kilo of paraffin wax and promptly threw it in to the the full water pan of my double boiler! I quickly scooped them out and, on Spencers advice, melted the wax as normal poure into a bowl and left to set. Next day I chipped out a piece of wax and drained off the water underneath dried off the wax block and remelted. There were a few droplets of water in the melted wax but I removed them with a syringe (again on Spencers advice) I made a container candle and have had no problems with it spluttering and no sign of any water.

Comment

With natural waxes I would suggest getting the water out ASAP using the syringe method mentioned above. Then just carry on.

Ways of avoiding it would include turning the temperature down so the water doesn't splash about. It only needs to be just before boiling point rather than a fast boil that splashes. Or, get a taller melting pot/jug.

I have some asparagus steamers, without the basket in them, that are nice and tall so no water can splash into the wax.
            Last edited by Spencer101; 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Thank you for all the answers. My concern would be if the person was unaware that water had gotten into the wax in the first place. Since the water pools at the bottom of the candle, what would happen once the candle had burned all the way down in the container?

Comment

Most likely nothing.
                Some people actually advise putting a teaspoon of water in the bottom of votive glasses to help make getting the last bit of wax out of the container easier.

Not something I would personally recommend in case the wick wasn't sealed at the bottom and the water soaked up it.

To help avoid it, check the wax for signs of water before adding your dye. Whilst the wax is still relatively clear it should be easy enough to spot any water in there.

Comment

What do you mean in case the wick isnt sealed? And if there was water at the bottom of the container, would that make the candle ignite in any way?

Comment

The pretabbed wicks you buy were once part of a large spool of waxed wick. When it's cut into lengths the cut ends are no longer covered in wax. Think of a cross section view, it would be a ring of wax with cotton in the middle. Well that bit would be in the sustainer and therefore if there was water in your container (deliberately or otherwise) it would possibly come into contact with the "unsealed" end of the wick and soak up into the cotton. This would obviously cause some issues when burning the candle.

Water in the candle wouldn't cause any flare ups or cause the melt pool to ignite. It would just cause problems if it soaked into the wick and other than that it would be aesthetic issues more than anything else.

Comment

Ok...so if it soaked into the wick, what would happen besides the wick popping and "sputtery" as you mentioned. Would the flame go crazy in any way? Thank you again for all of your help. Most of the other candle making websites are not current and no one uses them.

Comment

It might dance a little more than usual as part of the sputtering but it shouldn't flare up.

Comment

Ok...very interesting how all this works. Do you know anything about soap making? If so, is it easier than candles in your opinion?

Comment

I've had a dabble with soap making too. I preferred the cold process soap than the melt and pour soap. It takes a lot longer from to get from raw material to finished product (weeks rather than hours) but it's more rewarding if you ask me.

I would say cold process soap making is more difficult than candle making. If only for the waiting around.

I stopped with soap making because of the hoops you have to jump through if you ever want to sell the product!

Comment

Working...
                            X