Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling your candles "organic"

Hi Everyone

I have been making candles for many years and in the recent past have seen different types of waxes come into the market. In particular, soy and palm wax which are a welcome addition as they apparently do not emit c02 when burned unlike the traditional paraffin. They also both come from renewable sources, and in the case of soy, some of them are organic.

I have seen soy candles being marketed as "organic" but I would query this because as far as I know there is no "organic" fragrance oil in the market as yet. Or am I missing something and if so could anybody tell me where to buy these organic fragrances? What are your thoughts?

Best,
    Eliza
    Manzanas Candle Crafts
    www.manzanas.co.uk -- Online retailer of candlemaking supplies, serving the UK and the EU
    Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

I don't know abou the FO's but the jury is out over the ecological benefits of Soy. Paraffin wax is a by product of petroleum that would otherwise be thrown away, soy to be made into wax needs numberous forms of refinment to make it into a wax and this apparently is far more damaging to the environment than refining paraffin wax would ever be - so have to agree not very organic. The most organic form of wax in my book would be beeswax (without the FO).

HTH.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, Lisa. You are right about your points. I suppose the benefits of soy and palm wax is that it does not emit c02 when burned.. but it is hardly organic and who knows about the carbon footprint in its processing! Beeswax is indeed organic, let's hope their population increases, though!

Eliza
      Manzanas Candle Crafts
      www.manzanas.co.uk -- Online retailer of candlemaking supplies, serving the UK and the EU
      Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Comment

I must agree that the process of refining the soya bean oil into wax (Hydrogenation) is not an 'eco-friendly' process (similar to making margarine!) but feel I must stick up a bit more for the side!!

The growing of soya beans can be intergrated into the argricultural/farming system and can produce a renewable product. The oil used for wax and the residue used for cattle feed. It can be sustainable and manageable. It usually has to have things added to it to create the contraction especially for pillar wax which can include mineral oils.

Paraffin is a heavy hydrocarbon created from Crude Oil and is used for many purposes other than candlemaking (Wiki will give quite a long list) and I am sure would never be 'thrown away'. Crude oil will one day run out and will no longer be available.

Personally I would never be able to qualify any candle as 'organic' apart from maybe (as has been said) pure beeswax.

Each to your own though. I make the candles I make as do all of you. We have our reasons and all valid.

However, I do believe that " you breathe what you burn" and the emissions of a paraffin candle are very different to those from a beeswax/soy candle!!

Given the choice I would revert wholly to beeswax candles and products but this comes with a cost and nowadays many of us do not have that luxury.

David

Comment

Working...
        X