Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container wax? Does it effect scent throw

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and quite new to candle making too! I began by researching as much as I could on the internet and then started by ordering from the company 4 candles which by the way I found to have an excellent delivery service.

I have started with container candles and use their parafin container wax, wicks, dyes and a range of scents. Its going quite well other than I am quite disappointed with the scent throw on all of the eight scents i have used - i have uppered the volume I use to around 9% after using 4% to 5% the scent throw was none exsistant.

I would like a highly scented candle so should be thinking of using a wax formula rather than a pre blended container wax? Is there anything I could add to the container wax which would help the scent throw do you think?

Any comment or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hi

I too have used 4 candles and found them great. I tend use approximately 6% of their US fragrance in container wax and get a good scent throw. Ensure that your wick is not burning up your wax too fast so you get a good melt pool as that is what has the scent. Do you weigh your FO?

Also worth considering that you may be a bit immune with all concentrated scents you are smelling ask friends and family who don't live in your home what they think!

Good luck
    It cost how much? could I make it myself?

www.lightandbubbly.com
    Twitter: @lightandbubbly_

Comment

I haven't used 4candles container wax however some scents are stronger than others is it very light floral scents or more fruity, musky scents. Also I find that the US FO's tend to be better than the UK one's but we are getting better!
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Lightandbubbly View Post
        Hi

I too have used 4 candles and found them great. I tend use approximately 6% of their US fragrance in container wax and get a good scent throw. Ensure that your wick is not burning up your wax too fast so you get a good melt pool as that is what has the scent. Do you weigh your FO?

Also worth considering that you may be a bit immune with all concentrated scents you are smelling ask friends and family who don't live in your home what they think!

Good luck
        Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I use a pipette to measure my scent in mls, and at the moment can't decide between the eco 2 or LX14 for my 65mm jars. Not quite as straight forward as I first thought Not to worry, good excuse to have another play me thinks.

I think you have something there about being immune to the scents, I keep asking my family but being in an all male house hold(apart from me) they reckon they can't smell a thing - but more likely don't want to lol
        Oh well, another excuse to have girly night in with a few friends sniffing candles lol-( I'm sure after we have a few glasses of wine I convince them I make good candles haha)

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
          I haven't used 4candles container wax however some scents are stronger than others is it very light floral scents or more fruity, musky scents. Also I find that the US FO's tend to be better than the UK one's but we are getting better!
          The Baby Powder scent seems to be my best so far which I think is a uk oil - but I think this is quite a strong fragrance anyway. Others I have tried are love spell and apple which were US oils which were quite weak so maybe I am not choosing the strong fragrances coupled with light and bubbly's suggestion of me becoming immune to them?.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Baby powder is quite a strong fragrance, I have lovespel too and it is very light and you need a considerable amount to get a really strong sent throw. Things like Angel, coffee, chocolate, musky smells I find tend to be better in container wax.

HTH.

Lisa
            Bowed Over
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
              Baby powder is quite a strong fragrance, I have lovespel too and it is very light and you need a considerable amount to get a really strong sent throw. Things like Angel, coffee, chocolate, musky smells I find tend to be better in container wax.

HTH.

Lisa
              Ahh, ok thank you never thought that about different scents being better in container wax and others not . I shall pick those types next time and see how I get on - maybe save my lighter ones for when I progress to votives and pillar!

I also read somewhere that its best to heat the wax slightly higherthan the pouring temperature then add the scent just before you pour and also to leave the container candle for at least two days before lighting for the first time so that the dye and scent can fuse with the wax? have you ever tried those suggestions, I seem to have read so much lately I don't know what to try first LOL x

Thank you for your help, I have made notes i my jotter so I don't forget!
              Thank you for your he

Comment

Hi

I have found that weighing the oils even though they are liquid a much more consistant way of working some oils are much heavier or lighter than others and therefore in volume doesn't match. I recently purchased white musk it is really heavy so in comparison to gardenia you would use less in volume.

Another girly night smelling candles sound Fab and yes I agree anything for a glass of red!

You are going to really enjoy making votives and can I reccomend that if you use 4candles use the wick pin withe the votive mould and try their s3 votive wick.

Good luck
                It cost how much? could I make it myself?

www.lightandbubbly.com
                Twitter: @lightandbubbly_

Comment

Originally posted by Lightandbubbly View Post
                  Hi

I have found that weighing the oils even though they are liquid a much more consistant way of working some oils are much heavier or lighter than others and therefore in volume doesn't match. I recently purchased white musk it is really heavy so in comparison to gardenia you would use less in volume.

Another girly night smelling candles sound Fab and yes I agree anything for a glass of red!

You are going to really enjoy making votives and can I reccomend that if you use 4candles use the wick pin withe the votive mould and try their s3 votive wick.

Good luck
                  I never considered weighing the oil, yes I am going to try that too. Thanks for the votive recommendation, I shall try that too.

I am absolutely loving this forum, both lightandbubbly and candles by Lisa you have both given me some much needed advice that I have been reading on the internet for hours trying to find!
                  I am going to try all the suggestions you've made and let you know how I get on -- I hope that I can return the help in the future but I think it maybe sometime yet when I'm not such a newbie!!!
                  Thanks again

Comment

No problem that's what we are here for. I don't heat the wax any hotter than the pouring temp when I am adding the oil they say if the wax is too hot that it burns the scent off but I think you would need to have it virtually at bursting into flames point before that happens. Yes you should leave your candles for at least 48 hours for the wax and the scent to combne. I like to leave mine for a week to make sure they are well and truely fused. I also weigh my FO's it is far more accurate and allows consitency when making batches.

HTH.

Lisa
                    Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

[QUOTE=candles by lisa;460549]No problem that's what we are here for. I don't heat the wax any hotter than the pouring temp when I am adding the oil they say if the wax is too hot that it burns the scent off but I think you would need to have it virtually at bursting into flames point before that happens. Yes you should leave your candles for at least 48 hours for the wax and the scent to combne. I like to leave mine for a week to make sure they are well and truely fused. I also weigh my FO's it is far more accurate and allows consitency when making batches.

HTH.

I thought the adding the oil at higher temp might be a pointless tip as it didn't seem to make sense when I thought it through.

This afternoon I made two container candles and weighed the oil rather then measured it and just judging on cold scent throw they seem to be better so that fingers crossed is a winner. I am going to leave them for just over a week now as I go away this weekend so I can resist temptation in burning them!

One tip I have found - and I am smiling about it right now- if you have a good cry afterwards you can really smell the scent in the candles - the candles I didn't think I had any scent throw from all of a sudden was throwing bundles of it at me! Maybe all it was is that I was all bunged up after all haha

But seriously thanks for the help and I shall let you know how I get on, so itching to start votive making now but maybe I shall learn to walk before I crawl! x

Comment

Working...
                      X