massage candles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• massage candles

Has anybody made any of these? Or used them? I only just heard about them - they sound cool, but I wonder if tehy are dangerous - more of a fire hazard than regular candles?? What keeps the wick from tipping over or floating around as the oils become liquid??

Have seen them but think you have to check the right temperature before using, just before the wax sets again. I do normal candles but would be afraid a member of the public would not use correctly, burn themselves and them blame me, would not mind having a go for myself though. Found a good tutorial on how to make: http://www.soapqueen.com/bramble-ber...nd-round-up-2/

Comment

I never thought to look at Bramble Berry's Soap Queen for massage candle info! Thanks for the link!

Comment

Hello Susan

I have just heard about them too, simplysoap do them, i am thinking of ordering some for my new pamper bags.
        Of course i will have to test it first.
        Hope this helps,
        will let you know, my finding
        Sara
        Elegant Designs

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elegan...3497680?ref=hl

Comment

I think I will make one....they sound like something that would sell well...but they're a bit scary sounding, too...

I'll let you know, too...how it turns out.

OH!! Just ahd a light bulb come on over my head...there used to be hot (well, warm, but it doesn't sound the same, does it) wax treatments for arthritic hands... - have you ever heard of it? Hmmm...this reminds me a little of that...hmmm....maybe I could make some wax treatments ... I remember that you dipped your entire hands in the warm scented wax and let it cool and harden, and then peeled it off to reuse (I think it could be reused)...must google around...
          Last edited by removed10; 30-06-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I remember those they also used to use them for manicures etc, had one where you plunge your hand in warm wax, then a massage it was wonderful. Don't think they do them now though shame.

Comment

my late great aunt used the hand dips arthritis I used to find it terrifying when she pealed the wax off as I always thought it was her skin that was pealing off.
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I have looked into this myself, you do need to apply for a cosmetics licence before you start selling them as you are selling products that go onto the skin, so obviously strict regulations etc, but this licence along with public liability insurance and clear instructions should cover you xx

Comment

Public Liability

Hello Cosmic Grammie,

Day to day I work for a business insurance broker and just wanted to say that a key part of any insurance policy you have when you are selling products is products liability. This kicks in if the product you sell (candle, soaps) go on to cause an injury of some kind and the customer looks to sue you.

If you have any queries or questions please feel free to PM me or comment on this thread.

Kind Regards

Tim

Comment

Hello Tim,

Nope, not looking for insurance!

Comment

I love massage candles, I've put a recipe on my website in the 'how to make' section.

When I first started making them many people hadn't heard of them before, then when I told them what they were a few looked shocked .. they were imagining pouring paraffin wax on them lol ... Soy has a low melt point .. when you blow the candle out to use the oils its hot, but not enough burn, if you wait a bout 30 seconds its lovely to use

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                        I think I will make one....they sound like something that would sell well...but they're a bit scary sounding, too...

I'll let you know, too...how it turns out.

OH!! Just ahd a light bulb come on over my head...there used to be hot (well, warm, but it doesn't sound the same, does it) wax treatments for arthritic hands... - have you ever heard of it? Hmmm...this reminds me a little of that...hmmm....maybe I could make some wax treatments ... I remember that you dipped your entire hands in the warm scented wax and let it cool and harden, and then peeled it off to reuse (I think it could be reused)...must google around...
                        Yes, that's correct -- paraffin wax treatment, usually at 50 degrees is administered to relieve arthritic pain.. then i think this evolved to beauty treatments because paraffin softens the hands (petroleum jelly as you know is a derivative of petrol like paraffin.

To do this at home though you need proper wax melters with temp control, so not sure how appropriate it will be to sell them as such.
                        Manzanas Candle Crafts
                        www.manzanas.co.uk -- Online retailer of candlemaking supplies, serving the UK and the EU
                        Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Comment

Silly me, I forgot all about my massage candle! Let me tell you, this candle has EXCELLENT scent throw! Best I've ever had. I wonder if it is because it's softish? I used the recipe link that Caroline posted, at Bramble Berry...3 oz. soy wax, 1 oz sweet almond oil, .25 oz fragrance.

IMPORTANT! You have to use soy wax that has been dermatologist tested for skin safety, and is pesticide free. I use CB135 for my container candles anyway, and it meets both these requirements for massage candles. Advance Soy doesn't.

Here it is before being lit - it never gets very hard...is always a softish candle -

c.JPG

I used lavender EO. No dye, as you don't want to smear color all over your skin!

None of my pics ever looked good, of it burning. But it had a good flame and burn pool. I let it burn a little and blew it out - felt the outside of the upper part of the tin...waited a few seconds and poured some out into my hand. It was very warm and soothing and rubbed in beautifully! IMO, a massage needs a little bit oilier stuff than this. But I think if you added more oil to the candle recipe, the wick wouldn't stand up!

It's very emollient on the skin. I don't think I will make any more, unless I left the wick out it was to be solid perfume instead of a candle....again, use only skin safe fragrances...in this heat, this candle would get runny at market, I fear. Also, there was too much liquidy wax/oil for a flame, IMO.

SO, it was a fun experiment! I will stick to lotion bars rather than massage candles.
                          Last edited by removed10; 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X