Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP my soy candles don t smell anything

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP my soy candles don t smell anything

    Hello everyone ,

    For a charity event i need to sell perfumed candles ... I really want those candles to be made with non Ogm soy wax.
    So i bought on 4Candles ecosoya CB 135 , waxed wick RRD 47 ( on 4Candles too ) for my square containers 70mmx70mm, and US fragrance oil from Sensory Perfection
    I add 10% fragrance oil in the wax, just before pouring , mix them all , and i let the candle cure during one week. It smells good when the candle is cold but when i lit the candle it doesn t smell ( or very few )
    I don t know why it doesn t work ....
    Please help me if you have advices !!! The candles must be ready for August , i have promised the charity event team they will be ....
    Thanks a lot

  • #2
    Anyone please ??

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmmmmm, well, I didn't spend a lot of time at that site but let's start out with this - you got their fragrance oils and not their cosmetic oils, yes? AND, you got FO's from their "candles only" subcategory?

      Okay, I've looked around some more - I see US Grade mentioned in other subcats - what's that? There is manufacturer's grade, cosmetic grade, and premium grade. You want premium grade for soy wax candles. Also should look for phthalate free FO's.
      Last edited by removed10; 19-06-2011, 07:56 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
        Hmmmmm, well, I didn't spend a lot of time at that site but let's start out with this - you got their fragrance oils and not their cosmetic oils, yes? AND, you got FO's from their "candles only" subcategory?

        Okay, I've looked around some more - I see US Grade mentioned in other subcats - what's that? There is manufacturer's grade, cosmetic grade, and premium grade. You want premium grade for soy wax candles. Also should look for phthalate free FO's.
        thank you for your message , i use US grade fo's because they are stronger than UK fo's
        but i don t understand why the candles don t smell when i lit them ( they smell when they are cold ) do you know at which temperature i should add the fo to the wax ? maybe my wax is too cold when i add the fo ???
        Regards

        Comment


        • #5
          Temp is important. Some people think FO's dissipate some if added when the wax is too hot, but you need it a certain temp to get it to all mix together thoroughly.

          Again, I do not really know what is meant by US Grade. There are three of them, and there are diff sources that the company from which you buy them might use. Also, does that Sen. Per have a rating - have they tested the FO's? You might just want to switch to quality essential oils.

          I doubt I can lend much more assistance. I just don't know what else to say. Hopefully some other chandlers will add their expertise soon! Sorry I'm not much help!

          Best of luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
            Temp is important. Some people think FO's dissipate some if added when the wax is too hot, but you need it a certain temp to get it to all mix together thoroughly.

            Again, I do not really know what is meant by US Grade. There are three of them, and there are diff sources that the company from which you buy them might use. Also, does that Sen. Per have a rating - have they tested the FO's? You might just want to switch to quality essential oils.

            I doubt I can lend much more assistance. I just don't know what else to say. Hopefully some other chandlers will add their expertise soon! Sorry I'm not much help!

            Best of luck!
            Thanks a lot for your message Do you lnow where i could find quality FO on internet ?
            And maybe do you know at what temperature i should add the FO to the ecosoya wax CB135 ?
            Have a nice day
            Regards

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by manug21 View Post
              Do you lnow where i could find quality FO on internet ?
              And maybe do you know at what temperature i should add the FO to the ecosoya wax CB135 ?
              Sorry, I am not familiar with online candle FO supply sites in the UK.


              Gently heat the wax to no higher than 185؛F. You want the fragrance oil to "dissolve' completely. Some people say to add at a lower temp and that it works fine for them...that's as may be.

              THen remove it from the heat and stir gently for a couple of minutes. You have to stir gently in order to not incorporate a lot of air into the wax.

              Be sure you are using manufacturers grade or premium grade FOs...be sure the site you buy FOs from has a rating system or customer reviews. If you are not sure, you should contact them and ask what grade their FOs are.

              Other candle peeps - am I doing alright here?? Got anything to add??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                Sorry, I am not familiar with online candle FO supply sites in the UK.


                Gently heat the wax to no higher than 185؛F. You want the fragrance oil to "dissolve' completely. Some people say to add at a lower temp and that it works fine for them...that's as may be.

                THen remove it from the heat and stir gently for a couple of minutes. You have to stir gently in order to not incorporate a lot of air into the wax.

                Be sure you are using manufacturers grade or premium grade FOs...be sure the site you buy FOs from has a rating system or customer reviews. If you are not sure, you should contact them and ask what grade their FOs are.

                Other candle peeps - am I doing alright here?? Got anything to add??
                Thanks a lot for your answer !! i will try to find a website with quality FO , hope i ll find them
                Regards

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi, might be able to add to a few things Susan has raised which may help.

                  I use Soy Wax all the time and prefer the CB-135 as an all-round container wax. Unfortunately, I only use Essential Oils rather than FO's but the principles are very similar.

                  With regards to FO's from Jo at Sensory Perfection, I would expect these to be the higher quality oils you can get and would not worry about that side of things. For the time I have worked with Soy Wax I have just found that some oils (both sorts) don't bind with the wax - I think it is just the nature of the wax. Have you tried asking Jo what FO's work particularly well with Soy? Might help approaching it from that side. I use EOs and these can be even more hastle than FO's (and a lot more expensive to make a mistake!!) so I would stick with FOs personally.

                  As Susan says, temp is important with mixing. Too hot and it can evapourate, too cold and it may not fully combine. Slow steady mix for 2-3- mins should be OK (I use a palette knife). Pour slowly. Usually I mix at around 125°F - 52°C I think!!. Unfortunaltey it is trial and error until you get it right (same with the wicking).

                  IMHO I would suggest you test all the candles you make especially if other people will be using them - and lighting them in their homes. BTW if you are going to be selling them I would also strongly suggest you get some form of PI Insurance.

                  HTH

                  David

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
                    Hi, might be able to add to a few things Susan has raised which may help.

                    I use Soy Wax all the time and prefer the CB-135 as an all-round container wax. Unfortunately, I only use Essential Oils rather than FO's but the principles are very similar.

                    With regards to FO's from Jo at Sensory Perfection, I would expect these to be the higher quality oils you can get and would not worry about that side of things. For the time I have worked with Soy Wax I have just found that some oils (both sorts) don't bind with the wax - I think it is just the nature of the wax. Have you tried asking Jo what FO's work particularly well with Soy? Might help approaching it from that side. I use EOs and these can be even more hastle than FO's (and a lot more expensive to make a mistake!!) so I would stick with FOs personally.

                    As Susan says, temp is important with mixing. Too hot and it can evapourate, too cold and it may not fully combine. Slow steady mix for 2-3- mins should be OK (I use a palette knife). Pour slowly. Usually I mix at around 125°F - 52°C I think!!. Unfortunaltey it is trial and error until you get it right (same with the wicking).

                    IMHO I would suggest you test all the candles you make especially if other people will be using them - and lighting them in their homes. BTW if you are going to be selling them I would also strongly suggest you get some form of PI Insurance.

                    HTH

                    David
                    thanks a lot David ! i ll ask Jo for the best FO for soy wax
                    But what a PI is ? Never heard of it
                    Regards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Soz about that, I meant Public Indemnity/Liability Insurance. I would suggest anyone that gives/sells their candles to have some form of cover - just in case!! If you search the forums here there are numerous threads covering this and very helpful too with advice and links.

                      David

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X