Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling old candles- HELP!

Hellooo

My first thread post yey. Im hoping someone is all knowledgable here and can help me out.

Basically I have to beautifully scented candles in really nice jars that were a gift however they have burned half down and I can no longer light them without purchasing a long handled re fillable lighter and the idea of handling gas to refill it basically squares me.

Cut the ramblings.. So basically without breaking the glass I want to get the wax out and combine them as a whole new candle.. Any ideas how I would be able to go about this?

Thanks in advance everyone

KayleighAnn
    My Homemade Life

Or at least the early beginnings

Pop in microwave and heat till wax completely melted to liquid, pour and job done!
    Debbie & Chris

www.candlessenceonline.co.uk

Comment

That actually works and wont damage the glass?!

Thankyou so much thats really made my day that it isnt complicated

KayleighAnn
      My Homemade Life

Comment

Except...for properly wicking it...unless i am missing something...I am no expert, but you need to pour the wax into a container about the same diameter as the original candle glasses...only shorter of course...you can use the same wick, but have to wick them correctly - centered and straight up, and stick to the bottom with a glue dot or whatever...AND you have to heat the new glass or teacup so it doesn't crack...and so the wax doesn't act weird due to hitting a cold container...sorry to be a wet blanket....

Comment

Don't heat it in the microwave for too long at once. If it gets too hot, it will catch on fire.
          Stephen
          Website - Soy of the North
          Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
          Twitter - random thoughts
          Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

Absolutely - excellent point!

Another way to get the wax out that you can do HERE (Texas) is to turn it upside down in an old dish and set it in the sun about 1:00 in the afternoon...check after an hour - it should all have melted out quite nicely... =D

Comment

Well Im going to try using the wick (there are two so gonna make two tea cup candles hopefully since they 18 oz candles to begin with but might have to go in) Thankyou for the point about a heated container, I would have been so annoyed if it had broken!!

I also realised that the wicks have a metal bottom at the base of the candles in the glass and therefore they wont microwave without breaking something! I am in north England so no chance of the weather ever being that good!!

I still have a few days before I go hunting for a new container for them from a charity shop or boot sale though so I can plan properly

KayleighAnn
              My Homemade Life

Comment

Just FYI - you have to have the right sized wick for a candle to work properly, so that's why I was suggesting using some shorter container that is about the same diameter...I guess a better way to put it is to use a container about the same size as the remaining portion of the original candle, so the wick will be the right size, assuming it was made correctly!

Whew, glad you thought of the metal tabs before sticking them in the microwave. That could've been ...er... fun?

I think you should read some good tutorials on candle making, and I always recommend Candle Science - google it and go to their "learning" tab in the green bar at the top.

Well, if it doesn't get hot enough there the you could use your oven if it's electric - put the upside down candle container in an old pan big enough to hold all the wax, turn the heat on very low, and wait for it to ooze down into the pan!

Comment

Okay so the ultimate aim is to reuse the wicks then as they are about as wide as teacups, one being slightly larger though hmm. Thankyou for the advice I will look at the science of it though Im not so good at that subject in life...

Its not my microwave so it could have been pricey not including the clean up.. Haha. I read somewhere you can put the containers in hot water on the hob does that sound right? Not sure how I feel about boiling it with the glass. I will probably end up using the oven, is it okay to pour if its not boiling hot wax then?

Im going to learn some new science now

KayleighAnn
                  My Homemade Life

Comment

Oh don't be intimidated - it's just a candlemaking supply site...not a science site...

You're very wise to take a couple of days to get your plan figured out! Never do anything on the spur of the moment!

And no, you never want boiling hot wax - VERY DANGEROUS! there are proper temps for different waxes.

I love to suggest that people (no matter what craft they're interested in) make use of their public library. There are bound to be lots of fun candle making books in there that will have info on "remaking" a candle from an old one. And of course, there's the internet, but I do love books! Also, you can get books from other libraries through the one nearest you - oh but wait...you're in college - I'll just bet your college libraries have books on candle making, too!

Comment

We have melted probably over 100 jars in the microwave and never had a problem. Candle wax when poured at the correct temperature is way hotter than a microwave can ever reach so I really would not be concerned about using the microwave. A jar holding 300g will melt in about 3 mins so you are not putting the candle in for that long anyway.All our candles are made using metal sustainers but they are covered by the wax so there is no adverse reaction to the microwaves! We never heat our jars before pouring and never suffer as a
                      consequence. Try it, you will be surprised how risk free it actually is!
                      Debbie & Chris

www.candlessenceonline.co.uk

Comment

Yes thats my next stop when I go into town (Im guessing monday), luckily my course is part of an arts program at the university so there is a MASSIVE section of art books, I might pick some other books for inspiration for crafts! Im also going to hunt down the public libraries around here for more crafty books.

If I call it science it will get my boyfriend all excited and he might even help me

okay no boiling wax and plan ahead! I keep making lists about what i want to make, purchase, save and HOW. It makes me look and feel organised despite the chaos of my desk hehe

KayleighAnn
                        My Homemade Life

Comment

Hey Debbie & Chris,

Im really paranoid about the microwave it was sparking in January haha. I also have a history of breaking mircowaves at home (I think I got to 4 before I moved out and the newest microwave sighed with relief) I dont want to lose my deposit here if I break it so I might use the oven to be on the safe side, I will melt wax without any metal when I get home (haha) to see how it goes and I could end up making lots of candles to match the new house decorations we design that Im moving too! Thankyou my microwave in Kent and I will put our trust in you for that one

Oh now Im all excited about moving again it takes ages to calm down and stop planning the move and interior design haha.

KayleighAnn
                          My Homemade Life

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I ended up using the hob to melt my candle wax in its jars and it worked beautifully, fished out the wicks and made new candles. Hopefully the wicks will stay fixed when I burn them I don't know why I was fretting so much it turned out to be quite simple.

KayleighAnn
                            My Homemade Life

Comment

Working...
                            X