Help please xxxx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please xxxx

Hi can anyone help i made candle today using old cups but the wax is seperating from side of cup, should i have coated the cup first or did i use the wrong wax ??? We used soy wax.

Help would be muchly appriciated xxxx

I've had this happen too - I'm sure that there is someone more experienced than I am who will come along with a better answer, but one of the tips that I picked up was to ensure that the containers that you are pouring the wax into are pre-warmed (the suggestion was to have them around 30C and to pour the wax around 60-65C).

There are a number of different natural waxes (e.g. soy wax, rapeseed wax) and from what I have seen, there are some that are formulated to have good adhesion to containers without having to pre-heat, others that will take colour better without having that "bloom" on them (I did a coffee-coloured one that looked like the cream hadn't been mixed in - basically a white frosting appearance) and so on.

I've just read up on the one which has good adhesion without heating the container, the website states that it has a tendency to bloom when colour is added , so I reckon warming the containers is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

Hugs, Pam

Comment

Hi,

Just to add to what Pam has said, all wax contracts when it cools. Pillar Blend wax is designed to contract the most as it is made for casting in moulds where you need to remove the candle when set. That contraction allows you to do this. Pillar Blend also tends to have a higher melting point. Container wax, once poured, is designed to stay where it is! You will still get contraction but to a lesser degree.

There are ways to minimise this, as Pam says, to preheat containers helps as does regulated cooling.

If you are casting into cups then def container blend.

David

Comment

Thanks for your help i will be trying these tips xxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
        X