Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of dye do you use?

Hi everyone,

I wondered what kind of dyes do you use for your container candles?
    Could it be that there are also dyes who show less frosting then others? Who has experienced this?
    I now am busy make the rapeseedwax work for me but it shows much frosting on the sides of the glasses I thought maybe another dye would help prevent or make it less?

Please tell me also what kind of wax you use?

Thanks for sharing!
    Anita

Anita,

Personally I do not use dye in candles anymore but have previously. Not sure about Rapeseed Wax as I use Soy but I believe they are not too dis-similar (sp!). I always found that using too much dye in soy will have the effect of creating a white-ish mottling effect on the surface. Dye in soy wax usually creates a 'pastel' type colour rather than a striking base/prime colour.

Maybe you are putting to much colour in??

The dyes I have used have mainly been from inpex and specially for candles. I do have some liquid dyes but these are very highly concentrated and I have found that one drop per 500g or less of wax is too much!!. Very good value for money if you are making large quantities.

Sorry I cannot be any more help.

David

Comment

Hi David!

Why do you not use colour? Is it a personal choice?

I have tried another brand of dye but its the same. No I dont think I'm using to much I think its the wax.
      I have tried pouring it hotter, lower. Pre-heat the glass and even poured wenn the jar was in warm water so that it cooled really slowly. No effect what so ever!

I think with glas jrs I better stick to the soy and with pottery I can use this wax :-) I would rather use rapeseedwax only but if its not possible at the moment then I must leave it. The wicking I have right :-)

Kind regards
      Anita

Comment

Anita,

It's just personal choice as I try to make as natural a candle as I can and so use EcoSoya wax, cotton braid wicks, no colour and pure essential oils to scent. I also use pure beeswax but do not add scent or colour to that. It does mean that the costs are relatively higher in comparison but they do have a therapeutic quality to them.

It seems that it must be the type of wax, i.e. rapeseed, you are using regards the dye. Have you tried creating a 'marbled' effect with the candles? I'm sure that would poduce a really good effect in the wax and is a way of colourig slightly differently.

David

Comment

Hi David,

By exident (?) i came across a website of someone that has made these marble jarcandles. They looked very nice but the colors were also amazing. Wenn I see what becomes of the colour with this rapeseedwax its not as nice. So to speak not nice at all. Because the colour is very light and on top there is frosting on the sides.
          Today I have tried to first pour a little uncoloured wax in a glass and then on top wax with colour. Then I put my hairdryer to work wenn I saw the frosting coming up. I hoped that the white would blend with the green but it didnt. Some bubbles came across the sides above. Wenn it cooled. Then later Frosted again.

But I really like that you think with me on this thing!!

Isnt it difficult to use essential oils? I have tried with the soywax but it has little effect. The essentiol oil thing would also be perfect for me because I love these scnets far more then the chemical ones.
          Can you tell me how you use it or are you then giving away you secret ? ;-)

Kind regards
          Anita

Comment

If you get it right it can be very effective with marbling.

There is no secret in using essential oils just a lot of frustration and aggravation (usually). Not all EOs will blend with Soy and I had to find out the hard way which ones do and do not. However, when you have a scent right with EOs in Soy it smells fantastic and, of course, it's the real thing. The price is a lot more expensive but you tend to use less as a mixing ratio. Depends on which oils and blends to how much !! back to test test test.

There is nothing wrong with using fragrance oils and the variety you have to choose from is many many times more. You will not get 'Rhurbarb & Custard' essential oil or 'Cookie Crumble'. However, you can get some very amazing blends with different oils and each one can be quite original.

David

Comment

Working...
            X