How do i top up and smooth off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i top up and smooth off?

I wanted to have a go at candle making as a couple of my friends are moving into their new houses soon and thought they would make a nice house warming gift. I was going to buy a kit but then bought all the bits separately because it was cheaper and my god father gave me some wax he bought but never used. Anyway, I've made a couple of candles they smell and look lovely apart from the bottoms, which have sunk in, i topped them up but in the morning I noticed they had sunk some more. I was just wondering how you top them up, do I have to do it more than once or can I wait until the wax is set and do it then? Also how do you get a smooth finish on the bottom after topping up as I seem to have a bit of wick sticking out the bottom.

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to get them right as they are for gifts, a couple of handmade candles to go with the handmade card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Emma xx

Oooo I wonder what will happen if I put my finger in here...........?

Hi Emma,

Firstly you will need to poke relief holes round the wick, this will stop air bubbles in the candle (which can cause a candle to literally implode when the flame hits the air pocket - a big no no there!!). Do this when the wax is setting. I let the wax set completely then do the 2nd pour, this gives you a flat bottom (I wish I had one though hehe!!)

To finish the candle off heat a baking sheet over a pan of hot water and sort of twist the candle about on the baking sheet, this will smooth out the edges but be reaaallllllyyyyy careful because if you put a bit too much emphasis on 1 side (which is really easy cause the wax is melting) you will end up with a candle looking like the leaning tower of Piza.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

No No Lisa, nobody wants a flat bottom, but a pert one would be nice
      Annette

Comment

Oh I wish I had a flat bottom too, haha. Cheers for the advise Lisa, going to try again tonight when Lily is fast asleep in bed and there are no other distractions about.

Fingers crossed for flat bottomed, non-exploding candles, lol!!

Emma xx

Comment

I can tell you you will forget to poke relief holes only once!!! Man it's amazing how far that wax can fly!!!!

Ow for a flat bottom!!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
            I can tell you you will forget to poke relief holes only once!!! Man it's amazing how far that wax can fly!!!!

Ow for a flat bottom!!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

As long as it's not a flat, exploding bottom !!
            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

You are too right there bad enough with a big exploding bottom - or is that just me!!!!

hehe.

Lisa

Bowed Over
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

relief holes are a must, only forgotten to do them once, had candle test burning by side of PC well you can imagine the mess!

Comment

Well I made a new candle last night, looks really good and has a flat bottom, yey. Just have to test it now. I may stand well back, haha.

Wish me luck!!
                  Emma xx

Comment

Wish you luck - remember to wear goggles and fire proof clothing. Nah only kidding if you have poked relief holes you will be fine.

Glad it has a flat bottom - not a bit of cellulite in sit eh!!.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

dont forget to let us know how it burned, and how the scent throw went and i sooooo want a flat bottom

Comment

Yey, it worked and it smelled lovely, blackberry I think. Cheers for the help I'm sure my mates will be happy with what I come up with. I always feel handmade pressies are the best, shows thought etc...

Cheers

Emma
                        Emma xx

Comment

Originally posted by pinksnoozer View Post
                          Yey, it worked and it smelled lovely, blackberry I think. Cheers for the help I'm sure my mates will be happy with what I come up with. I always feel handmade pressies are the best, shows thought etc...

Cheers

Emma
                          Hi Emma,

Glad it worked out for you. I agree with the handmade pressie thing. It definately shows thought you need to prepare and make it in advance. Not just a case of remembering and nipping out to Asda to get them any old rubbish!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X