Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please............

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice please............

    Every largish pillar candle we've had - even M&S - have just burned a nice neat hole down the middle, leaving a lot of candle wasted. I believe the time you leave them burning has a lot to do with it, but does the quality come into it too?

  • #2
    Well thats because you are buying mass produced.....
    Hehe couldn't resist....
    Lisa recommended 3 hour burning at a time to rid of the hole problem...
    Ive just had some candles from her they are in a glass holder and i've been burning them for a couple of hours at a time...
    Guess what?
    No hole down the middle...
    And....
    I can find the wick everytime i go to burn it again!!!!
    I'm a happy bunny, and my house no longer smells of wet doggie
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello Peter,

      A question I can answer (at last). The general rule of thumb to avoid getting a lovely big tunnel down your canlde is when you light it always burn it 1 hour for every inch of the candles diameter. If the candle is 4 inches each time you light it you should aim to burn it for 4 hours - this should make sure that the wax pool reaches to the edge of the candle.

      Having said that I am not going to blow my own trumpet but a lot of the mass produced candles aren't very well made and don't necessarily use the best of ingredients. If a wick is too small for the candle there will be no way in heaven that the melt pool will reach to the edges of the candle - and what eventually happens is that the wick will start to put itself out as it gets drowned in the wax and there is no way you will light it again as it will keep extingusing itself.

      The other end of the scale is if the wick is too big for the candle it will smoke like a lovely black chimney and leave lovely black streaks up the wall if it is too close to it.

      Anyway here endeth the lesson!!!

      hehe.

      Lisa
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by icecreamgirl View Post
        Well thats because you are buying mass produced.....
        Hehe couldn't resist....
        Lisa recommended 3 hour burning at a time to rid of the hole problem...
        Ive just had some candles from her they are in a glass holder and i've been burning them for a couple of hours at a time...
        Guess what?
        No hole down the middle...
        And....
        I can find the wick everytime i go to burn it again!!!!
        I'm a happy bunny, and my house no longer smells of wet doggie
        Very glad you like them and with this weather it must be a very wet doggie indeed.

        Cheers.

        Lisa

        Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

        Comment


        • #5
          I was bought a candle at xmas that had instuctions to stop this..

          It said when you have finish with the candle blow it out and level the wax (push the edges in) Works well...
          .


          Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

          Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

          Comment

          Working...
          X