Simmering granules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmering granules

Anybody know where to get plain simmering granules to colour & scent yourself?

Simmering granules are just basically salt granules like you get for water softeners or for dishwashers. I get mine from Tesco, but they must be the granules not the salt, if you get my drift
    Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
    Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
    Facebook Page

Comment

Really? Well don't they smell "salty" at all after you've fragranced them?
      Thinking about that, salt doesn't really have much of a smell does it!
      So I'm assuming that when its put into the burner the warming of the granules give off the scent, and they don't burn?

Comment

Yep that's right, salt doesn't smell. Just mix the liquid dye and FO thoroughly and leave it to dry out. Shouldn't take more than 24-48 hours to dry out.

They don't burn and they don't melt either. But you can smell them all over the house.
        Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Any hints or tips on drying this out?
          I can't see that it will dry out completely because the scent added is oil based.
          I read on another forum about popping it in a low oven for 15 minutes. Here,s a tip, dont do that! After just a few minutes the scent was so over powering it made my eyes water & I had to open all windows and doors!
          Jane

Comment

What ratio of FO to granules did you use? I use a 2% ratio. That's twice as much as the one you get from AW or RH. My granules usually dry out in about 36 hours, 48 hours for some of the heavier oils.
            Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by girlyracer View Post
              What ratio of FO to granules did you use? I use a 2% ratio. That's twice as much as the one you get from AW or RH. My granules usually dry out in about 36 hours, 48 hours for some of the heavier oils.
              Ok, so I guess 5% is a tad too much then.
              No wonder it made my eyes water earlier. Good job I like lavender
              Thanks Ruby

Comment

Oh dear no wonder they're not drying out. All's not lost though. Try adding more salt to compensate, give it all a good mix and see what happens. The extra salt granules will soak up the excess FO.

As you said, good thing you like lavender 'cos you're going to end up with a lot of lavender simmering granules
                Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Hello,

Apologies, I found this thread after posting my own about simmering granules.

"girlyracer" says use 2% Fragrance Oil? Fragrance Oil is in mls and salt in kg. Do you assume that 10ml of Fragrance Oil is 10g?

Also, how much colouring do you use, and do you mix colours to get one that is suitable?

Finaly, what is AW and RH?

Thanks in advance,
                  Nicky

www.poshpongs.co.uk

Comment

Hi Nicky

In candlemaking all raw materials are best measured out in weight rather than using volume. The ratio is always the weight of the fragrance oil in relation to the wax, or in this case, salt for simmering granules. 10ml does not always weigh 10g as some oils are heavier than others hence why we chandlers stick weighing our ingredients.

AW is Ancient Wisdom and RH is Regent House. They are large wholesalers of simmering granules and other home fragrancing products. You've probably seen their products for sale at market stalls and craft and gift fairs.

I just prefer making my own to sell as then I can scent them to go with my range of handmade candles.
                    Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

I'm really new to this, I've been looking to make my own simmering granules and found this thread. Complete newbie question, frangrance oil, is that a mixture of a base oil and essential oils? If so, what base oil would I use. Then, do you literally put the 3-5% fo onto the salt granules you want to fragrance and sort of mix it up in a bowl? Then maybe leave the granules out for a day or two to dry in the open air?

Hope you don't mind the really beginner type questions.

Huge thanks

Daz

Comment

Are granules large pieces of salt please?

Sorry NL

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzel View Post
                          I'm really new to this, I've been looking to make my own simmering granules and found this thread. Complete newbie question, frangrance oil, is that a mixture of a base oil and essential oils? If so, what base oil would I use. Then, do you literally put the 3-5% fo onto the salt granules you want to fragrance and sort of mix it up in a bowl? Then maybe leave the granules out for a day or two to dry in the open air?

Hope you don't mind the really beginner type questions.

Huge thanks

Daz

Hi Dazzel. You need to use candle specific fragrance oils. You can get them from Sensory Perfection or Devonscents, they're the 2 best places to get them from. For mine I usually add at 2% ratio. So for instance, 100g of salt granules I would add 2g of fragrance oil. When it comes to candle making or any home fragrancing for best results you need to WEIGH your raw materials, even the oils. This is because different oils have different densities. Don't try to measure them in liquid measurements as you will only get inconsistencies.

Mix them all up in a jar and leave them to dry. I usually give the jars a shake every time I go past them. They should dry out within 24-48 hours.

HTH
                          Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Anita1 View Post
                            Are granules large pieces of salt please?

Sorry NL
                            Anita, the salt used is dishwasher salt granules.
                            Ruby xx

Facebook Page

Comment

Hi peps
                              i am thinking about trying the simmering granules & saw some of your tips on this thread, could some one please give me a few starting points of what i need to get started & what materials etc.
                              In regards to dyes & f.o's can you use the dyes & f.o's that you use in candle making? & for packaging which way would you normally do this to seal the fragrance in?
                              many thanks for your help in advance...
                              sweetcheeks.
                              sweetcheeks

Comment

Working...
                              X