Beginners Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners Advice

I would like to have a go at making candles, the main reason being is I love Yankee candles and would have an addiction if they weren’t so expensive! So I thought it would probably be cheaper (and more fun!) in the long run to make my own. Plus I could choose my own fragrances and colours etc!

My sister wants to know what I want for Christmas so I thought either some bits and pieces to get me going or a good kit or good book on making candles.

So my question is what kits (if any) would you recommend, what would be the best beginners book and what tools and materials are essential.

Which wax is the best to use (is that a silly question?) and what shop or site would you recommend to get supplies from?

Also any hints and tips would be very, very gratefully received!

Many, many, many thanks!

Jo
    x
    www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

I got my first candle making kit from Full Moons Cauldron many moons ago so they are a good place to start.

HTH.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Definitely would recommend that you get a kit to start. It should have everything you need (well the basics anyway) except a double boiler (which you should be able to put together in the kitchen).

They have instructions, guidance and tips to produce some really good effects. Try a basic container candle kit and see how it goes.

As Lisa says, FMC have some good kits but you could look through ebay or try whichsnwhacks.

HTH

David

Comment

Brilliant...thanks to you both!

Jo
        x
        www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

Just a quick note - I got dye chip instead of liquid dye this time, and it said one chip to a pound of wax...NOT! I have pink candles instead of red...

Also, I am so fed up with glue dots and wicking containers...I had one wick come loose and start leaning and bobbing...so I took it out, straightened it, waited a bit until the wax began to solidify slightly in the jar, stuck the wick back in where I judged to be the center...let me tell you it is the straightest, best place wick in any container candle I have ever made!

Comment

Please, all you successful candle makers...please look at these items at this website and tell me, before I order things I don't need or won't really work...tell me what you think - will any of them save me from myself? Make my life easier? Help me make more successful candles? I never admitted here, when i announced i was going pillar, that it was a bomb. Even duct taping the bottoms (tops), after sticking wick stickums around the wick...it just gushed out the hole. These are aluminum molds with the holes in the bottoms to be the tops...they're concave...should I pour some wax and let it harden before pouring any more, so there's not a lot of weight or heat?? Er whut?

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c27

Wick Stick

Wick Holder Bar

Rubber Plugs

I don't really understand these - do they go inside the mold? So it would make a wonky place on the top of the pillar?? If you stick the plugs through from the outside, then how could you set the mold down to pour the wax - it would be all wobbly...I really need to use all this pillar wax I bought...

Mold Release Spray

Jar Cap - this looks possibly nifty...

Bow Tie Wick Bar

The wick bars I have are next to useless. Not like any of these.

Comment

Hi, Right heres what I think

Wick Stick- Looks okay but you will need different ones for different sized jars. I use wooden skewers of varying lengths with a bit of blue tac stuck in the middle then just wrap a bit of the wick round the blue tac (making sure the skewer and blue tac are centred). Works great and saves on the wick stick.

Wick Holder Bar - is pretty much the same as what I do with the skewer - I have used these and to be honest I prefer the blue tac and skewer method a whole lot better - the blue tac sticks the wick in place so you don't need to waste a whole load of wick to wrap around like you do with the bar.

Rubber Plugs like you say they make pillars wonky. You only need to use these on multi wick moulds. I again don't use these all I use is some masking tape and blue tac (boy ow boy do I love blue tac) to seal the moulds.

I don't really understand these - do they go inside the mold? So it would make a wonky place on the top of the pillar?? If you stick the plugs through from the outside, then how could you set the mold down to pour the wax - it would be all wobbly...I really need to use all this pillar wax I bought...

Mold Release Spray - a must - I use silicone release spary. Your new moulds will come already with some lubricant on them so they release from the moulds when they are made. This eventually wears off through washing so using a mould release will make sure your candles come out of the moulds easily. Only not too much or it will mar the finish of the candle - a couple of light layers is all that's needed - allow each layer to dry between sprays.

Jar Cap - this looks possibly nifty... I've never used these but again you would need varying different caps to fit different sized lids

Bow Tie Wick Bar - again I would use my blue tac and skewers.

HTH.

Lisa
              Bowed Over
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Cosmic,

If you’re using soy wax – the dye chips don’t necessarily do what they say ‘on the tin’. The colours usually come out lighter and getting darker colours generally I have found to be very difficult.

For siting the wicks I have a small glue gun which works brilliantly – may want to try this.

Don’t know if I have got the right end of the stick regards the pillar mould problems but I use a good piece of ‘bluetack’ to push over the wick and seal the hole in the bottom (candle top). To centre the wick other end – an old chopstick broken in half and a couple of elastic bands. If the ‘bluetack’ is pushed on hard enough against the mould you can ‘pull’ the wick reasonable taut and centre. No need for fancy gadgets here. Must admit though, working with soy, I don’t make a huge amount of pillar candles – well hardly any at all.

HTH

David

Lisa - you got there first!! to slow to type things
                Last edited by Oddsox; 04-12-2009, 07:29 AM. Reason: Answer already given

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
                  Lisa - you got there first!! to slow to type things
                  I start work with the birds!! I really need a coffee to try and waken up a bit!!
                  Bowed Over
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions...VERY helpful, both of you. When looking at candle making sites (or any craft sites, really), you start to feel that you MUST have the gadgets, and then when you start having some difficulty, you feel you REALLY REALLY must have some of them...

Well, I have gummed up all around the hole with the wick through it, using some plastitack stuff that may be the same as your bluetac - reusable tacky putty stuff...no home should be without it!

I had to put some sand in a custard cup to get the mold to stand up straight...then I poured only about a half inch worth of wax...so far so good. So in a minute i will pour the rest of it. I'll probably have a line on the candle where the two pourings meet...that's life.

I really thought the pillars would be easier than wicking a jar...I also have six votive molds...they may turn out to be the friendliest for me...
                    and wick pins to fit them. Or am i misunderstanding the website again...you set the wick pin in the votive mold and pour the wax...thten when you unmold the votive, you pull the pin out and stick the pretabbed wick up through the votive...right??

Comment

Ah HA!! This is good -

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/mo...asicpillar.htm

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                        I also have six votive molds...they may turn out to be the friendliest for me...
                        and wick pins to fit them. Or am i misunderstanding the website again...you set the wick pin in the votive mold and pour the wax...thten when you unmold the votive, you pull the pin out and stick the pretabbed wick up through the votive...right??
                        That's exactly it. If you are having a bit of trouble with the pins coming out gently tap the end of the pin with a hammer - gently or you will crack the votive.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

So what do I put on the ingredients label - for teh Reddig Glo dye chips...I cannot find out what they are made of and don't want to put their brand name...should i just put "dye?" Is it a natural dye??

Comment

Working...
                          X