Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicks

Hi,

Can anyone advise which are the best wicks to use in container candles? I've been using ones with a wire through the middle and when they burn they end up with a clumpy bit at the top which needs to be trimmed each time you relight.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

Sounds as though you are using Zinc cored wicks.

I only use soy wax and find the LX & Eco series of wicks can cope with anything I make. Obviously its test and trial to find out which is most appropriate for each container. For Paraffin candles there may be better /different alternatives.

With regard the ‘mushrooming’ you may find this common with all wicks. This usually arises when the wax burns faster than the wick and the excess wick does not burn completely and creates the ‘ball’. A little mushrooming is not a problem but too much can make a candle smoke. The main cause usually is using too big a wick so just try downsizing unless the burn pool becomes too small. Other things that may cause it are fragrance oils and colourants. Trial & error again.

Hope this is useful

David

Comment

Thanks David, I'm new to this, I guess it's just try, try, and try again!

Mind you, I burnt a white company candle last night for comparison, and it mushroomed more than mine!

Comment

Working...
      X