safety assessments for sale??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety assessments for sale??

Hi, I'm wondering if you have to have candles assessed in anyway prior to selling? I have very recently started my home-made bath and beauty products business, and have an idea to put some candles in with my hampers??

Thanks,
    Lindsay xxx
    Lindsay Duffy
    www.lynsirue.co.uk

Hi,

As I understand it there are no specific requirements at the moment for candles however there are potenetial changes looming on the horizon via British Standards!

It's a great question to ask as it possibly will affect all us Chandlers and could prove the end for some small businesses.

Rather than reinvent the wheel and type it out again (not the fastest on the keyboard am I), if you do a search (above blue bar sixth option across) and type in 'Candle Safety' there are some very good previous threads covering this and a few other safety issues that may be important or of interest (candles looking like food etc.).

What I would add lastly is always always add safety warnings to whatever you sell/give/donate even if there are no statutory requirements to do so. If not, you can bet your bottom dollar....... There are some reasonabe labels available to buy or provide guidelines for what you may need.

I really hope the EU don't place there huge enormous boot into this industry with over-zealous correctness breaking the back of a lot of small businesses. Better get of the soapbox now

Hiope this helps

David

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
      Hi,

As I understand it there are no specific requirements at the moment for candles however there are potenetial changes looming on the horizon via British Standards!

It's a great question to ask as it possibly will affect all us Chandlers and could prove the end for some small businesses.

I really hope the EU don't place there huge enormous boot into this industry with over-zealous correctness breaking the back of a lot of small businesses. Better get of the soapbox now

Hiope this helps

David
      I think you may be being optimistic, David.

The numbers of fies related to accidents with candles looks high enough that something drastic may be done.

I hope it's sensible, but I'm not holding my breath.

JUlian
      Photographer, printmaker, cardmaker, craft supplies.
      http://mrcello.misi.co.uk/
      http://www.discountarts.co.uk/

Comment

There have been changes on the horizon for a while now. I hope they will be sensible and take into consideration the small business person.
        www.pure-light.co.uk - Pretty soaps, candles, bath and gifts.

Comment

They will eventually bring in guidelines as Julian says the amount of fires caused by candles is extremely high. However I have heard through the grapevine that it wont just be one test for a certain size/shape of candle. If you make a 2 inch pillar in one fragrance and one colour you will get a certificate for that. If you make the very same 2 inch pillar in the same fragrance but a different colour you will need a separate certificate for that so doing the math for all colour and fragrance combo's would definately put me out of business. The only people able to do this would be the big companies.

I do agree there needs to be regulation as there are far too many people out there throwing wax into a pot - bunging any old wick in and selling on what is at the worst a very bad fire hazard and at the least a really duff useless candle. There has to be some sort of governance but I really hope it is realistic!!
          Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I personally don't think that bringing out Test certificates and regulations is going to lower the number of Candle related "Accidents". Where there's a Flame there's someone to blame!

Peoples utter ignorance and stupidity is something we all have to live with.

It's probably just another money spinner by the government that will like you say put Small businesses out on the scrap heap, so the whole BS about helping the small timer is exactly that! I've found that out the hard way setting up my main business.

I'm going to stay away from calling my Candles Chocolate or Strawberry as some utter tit out there will think "Oooh I should be able to eat that".

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X