Are there no Candlemakers out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there no Candlemakers out there!

Does nobody else make candles out there! If that's the case how come I am not a millionaire being the only person in the UK making them. Come on join in the forum!!!
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

candlemakers

hi Lisa

Sory i never got back to you the other day, I'm rushed off my feet at the moment with orders and with my other new website and I work part time as well.

I wish we were millionaires!!!, I think that candlemaking is one of those hobbies that you try and love it or think nah to messy and never bother making candles again.

I also started off buying one of those candlemaking kits about 10 years ago and have never looked back. I love it although sometimes I hate candles and never want to see another one as long as I live.

I work from a small workshop in the borders and have been there for 7 years now.

I see that you have your candles in Catherines shop, I know her, shes a friend of my friend. Not seen her shop, keep meaning to go and see it but never find the time.

Speak soon
    Flame xx
    Eternal Flame Candles
    www.eternalflamecandles.co.uk

Hand Made in Scotland

Comment

Hi,

Catherine's shop is lovely, she has a real selection of lots of crafts, but obviously her jams and chutney's are what she is known for. Andy is always out and about and I meet him at a lot of fairs (I try to get as close to him as possible cause then I can get a free taste of what they have!).

I know candle making is a real mess it isn't like you can pack everything away at the end of the day. Like you though sometimes candles are the furthest thing from your mind particularly when they go wrong.

All the best.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi there - not a 'big time' candlemaker here, but is certainly one of the crafts I have done in the last few years. I always choose a new 'major' craft each year - we choose something that will make a lovely homemade gift for teachers at Christmas time (I have five kids in school, so it really does help the wallet - what with teaching assistants and office staff too!) and then we do a whole array of them, doing a couple of Christmas fairs with them. A couple of years ago I did candles - the gel type ones with the flowers suspended in them, all inside a nice champagne flute, ones that were a fish aquarium with glass fish and a blue tint to the bottom of the gel, and then I did the ones that have an 'outer rim' of harder wax that have dried flowers, shells, rose petals embedded in them, and then a softer wax centre that burns down - wick at both ends (turn it upside down when it starts to burn about half way. As the candle burns down, it emits a 'glow' through the outer shell - just beautiful. When the inner candle has burnt, you can just pop a tealight inside to keep another kind of 'forever' candle.

Comment

Have a look at Lisa's site for 'forever' candles.

Comment

Originally posted by CanucksintheUK View Post
            I did the ones that have an 'outer rim' of harder wax that have dried flowers, shells, rose petals embedded in them, and then a softer wax centre that burns down - wick at both ends (turn it upside down when it starts to burn about half way. As the candle burns down, it emits a 'glow' through the outer shell - just beautiful. When the inner candle has burnt, you can just pop a tealight inside to keep another kind of 'forever' candle.
            Hi,

Yep I do them too they are called hurricane candles. I think the idea of them is the same as the hurricane lamps. You place a candle inside and the wind can't blow it out because it is encased in the hard shell. I do personalised ones with pictures in them (I also do the embed ones), they are really tricky because if you don't get it right the picture pulls away from the front of the mould and you end up with wax in front of the picture then have to melt the whole flippin lot again and start all over. I have learned with them to be patient (which is not one of my strong points) and do not move from the mould until it has set (I can tell you that's hard with 2 kids who always seem to want something the second I pour the wax).

Having said that I love candle making, I have never ever gotten bored with it after all this time I stil rush home to start on something or other that I have thought up.

All the best.

Lisa

Bowed Over
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

hi lisa

sorry I've not been on, I forgot the web address, slap my hand!

I've been doing a hurricane today, an embedded one with orange slices, but can I get the darn thing out of the mould!!

Tried, fridge, freezer, shouting at it, hot water, more shouting at it, going back in the pot in pieces tomorrow I think

Comment

hi fellow candle makers from a cold kent

currently working on ice cream candles as i love the unusual ones oh and i love making votives lol

Comment

Originally posted by wick'n'wax View Post
                  hi lisa

I've been doing a hurricane today, an embedded one with orange slices, but can I get the darn thing out of the mould!!

Tried, fridge, freezer, shouting at it, hot water, more shouting at it, going back in the pot in pieces tomorrow I think

What?????????????????????
                  You mean you didn't have it bookmarked???????????????
                  Go to the back of the class
                  http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wick'n'wax View Post
                    hi lisa

Hi Yvette,

Did you dry out the orange slices yourself? Cause if they are not totally dried out when you pour the hot wax they sort of rehydrate and will stick to the mould - and that is from flippin well experience. Ow I don't know how many times I threw the mould at the wall because the bugger wouldn't come out!!! I eventually either threw everything (including the mould cause the hurriance was still stuck in there! into the pot and re-melted it or put it in the oven and melted the wax out!!! Total pain though you go through all that preparation and think this ones going to come out and voila it doesn't!!

Good luck, still waiting for my new mould from Jo - like a kid at Christmas - desparate to get my hands on it so I can start experimenting!!

Bowed Over
                    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi LIsa,

I have never tried this craft but am really keen to try, the only thing that keeps putting me off, it sounds silly, but i dont know where to start! Would it be cheeky of me to ask you to point me in the right direction? I only want to make them for myself, not too sell, so i dont want to spend too much....

Thank you

Craft Chick

Comment

Hi,

Not cheeky at all, the best way to start would be to get a candle making kit. I started off (many moons ago) using the starter candlemaking kit from Full Moons Cauldron however there are a few out there you can try. You need to make sure that the kit includes wax (doh!), additives Stearin/Vybar or both, wick, scent, colour, a mould and the most important thing is a thermometer. It needs to be designed for candle making (I think they call them candy thermometers in America) because they need to withstand higher temperatures than ordinary thermometers.

It is dangerous to melt wax over direct heat so always use a double boiler or a big pot with water and use a pyrex jug (it is clear, has measurements on the side and is easy to see what is happening with the wax).

Enjoy but if you need any help just give me a shout.

Cheers.
                        Lisa
                        Bowed Over
                        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi

When I first started making candles I started with tealights, they are so easy, As with supplies any supplier/candle maker will point you in the right direction, whether it be from Ebay, internet or local shop, ie hobbycraft.

Be warned it's highly addictive but you'll love it!

Have Fun

Gaynor

Comment

Hello every-one
                            I'm a newbie

I have been making candles for a bout a year now and absolutly love it
                            I only do it part-time coz I have 2 very young children who take up most of my time

Comment

Hello

*waves*

Comment

Working...
                              X