Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle carving

Anyone carve their candles? Is it fun?

I ask, because I recently bought a book on it... and it looks like a pretty difficult skill to master.

Have watched a video on it and it looks fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopSFltncZI

I assume you use special type of wax (more 'pliable') and need quite a range of equipment - and heap loads of skill and inspiration!

I'm still trying to get to grips with the basics of making plain candles and might give it a try at a later date. Good luck if you have a go.

Oddsox

Comment

Oddsox, I love that video. I think she takes it very seriously though.Three months studying in America? Hmmm.
      I bought a book by Dana Roberts - and she says that anyone can do it with a bit of effort.

I guess the truth lies somewhere in between.

Comment

I first saw this as a demo in the states years ago and the results were brilliant. could not imagine doing this myself though as I think I would end up in a mess of wax, lol

Comment

Ah... the cutting-curly-flaps sort of candle carving... I've only seen it done on just-made dipped candles, so the wax is still warm and flexible. It sets to normal wax as it cools.

I've done the ordinary sort of candle carving myself - just take a pointy thing, or a v-shaped tool of some kind, and carve a design of some sort into a candle. That's pretty easy, really. Works well with colour-dipped candles, as you show through to the white underneath.
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Originally posted by Scorch View Post
            Ah... the cutting-curly-flaps sort of candle carving... I've only seen it done on just-made dipped candles, so the wax is still warm and flexible. It sets to normal wax as it cools.

I've done the ordinary sort of candle carving myself - just take a pointy thing, or a v-shaped tool of some kind, and carve a design of some sort into a candle. That's pretty easy, really. Works well with colour-dipped candles, as you show through to the white underneath.
            Yes, I've seen that done. Looks fun.

I've also seen 'candle carving' done with a hot iron. You 'melt off' patterns into the wax.

Comment

Working...
            X