hi, couple of quickies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, couple of quickies...

Hi there, new to candles but i think my partner and i have progressed well in the very short space of time we've been doing them

we're using ecosoya PB for pillars/mould etc and ecosoya pure CB. When i make containers (metal or glass) i find that there is a bit of 'drag down' where there is shrinkage around the wick, and also some white mottling going on on the surface. Any idea's how i can stop this? The containers are not being heated prior to pour.

making chunk candles - i think the ecosoya PB might be too creamy to get good effect from the chunks, is there a way to make it a bit more translucent?

We tried parrafin wax (from a kit) and it was truly awful to work with (possibly really awful cheap stuff from a mass produced kit?) and was put right off, and also got a kit from whicksnwhacks that converted us to the ecosoya! Amazed at how much we've used in 2 weeks! Off to car boot sale at the weekend to see if we can hawk our (fairly basic but all came out ok) candles!

thanks y'all )

Hi,

Glad to hear of a convert to soy wax!

To avoid hollows in candles I would try to warm up the container before pouring, let the wax cool right down and pour slowly. It may not fully get rid of the problem but may certainly help. When it has started to cool, prick a few holes in the top to ensure ther is no trapped air and if you have a small blowtorch (check out Robert Dyas for kitchen mini blowtorch) then sweep it across the surface of the candle a few times whilst it cools and this should level off the candle.

With regard to the mottling (assume its the same as a powdery effect on the top and sides of candle), this has happend to me before when I used too much colour and/or scent in the whole process. Try a candle with just a bit of colour (a few shaves off a block) and no scent - then work up from there!!

Don't know if this is any help but it has worked for me.

Oddsox

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
      With regard to the mottling (assume its the same as a powdery effect on the top and sides of candle), this has happend to me before when I used too much colour and/or scent in the whole process. Try a candle with just a bit of colour (a few shaves off a block) and no scent - then work up from there!!

Don't know if this is any help but it has worked for me.

Oddsox
      This is also known as 'frosting' or 'bloom' and is one of the characteristics of soy wax. It is more noticeable in darker coloured candles than uncoloured or lighter ones.

It's something to do with the molecules because it is plant based as opposed to petroleum based, but it doesn't affect the scent or the burning quality of the candle. I mention it in my literature and just call it a rustic effect. Nobody seems to mind.

Just put it down as 'one of those things about soy' You'll get used to it the more you work with it
      Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
      Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
      Facebook Page

Comment

'rustic effect'... like it!

the blow torch has been in use a lot! although its not a mini blow torch... its one of my mechanic blow torches, so its quite a beast! i have seen the mini ones in robert dyas though and intend to pick one up

we're going to do our first car boot this weekend, got some household junk to get shot off, and going to put about 30 various votives, votive holders, a selection of containers and some large pillars out and see how they go. not sure how to package them nicely, but going to pick up some clear polythene, like what florists use, and some ribbons and wrap them up like that

tried to post a pic, but havent done enough posts yet...

Comment

Craftech, you mean cellophane wrap, right?? That's what florists use. I only mention it because certain plastics, and polythene is one of them, will suck the fragrance out of a candle.

Always make sure that you use cellophane or polypropylene, that's the stuff marked with a 5 in the triangle thingy, to wrap your candles. You could also use shrink wrap, too.
          Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
          Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
          Facebook Page

Comment

Crafttech

Might be preaching to the converted here but it sounds like you have not been candle making long.

Word of advice. If you're selling to anyone, make sure you have test every combination of the ones you are selling all the way through before you sell - and get insurance.

Insurance cost form about £60 a year so not worth losing your home and possessions over if someone accuses your candle of burning down their home.

x
            ------------------------------------------------
            My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamonchic View Post
              Crafttech

Might be preaching to the converted here but it sounds like you have not been candle making long.

Word of advice. If you're selling to anyone, make sure you have test every combination of the ones you are selling all the way through before you sell - and get insurance.

Insurance cost form about £60 a year so not worth losing your home and possessions over if someone accuses your candle of burning down their home.

x
              Thanks, you're spot on, only been at it a little while, just for fun really. Thought we'd take some along to car boot just to see how they'd go... yup, we have tested them all right the way down so very comfortable in saying that they're safe, also, took some printed leaflets along with candle safety advice.

unfortunately, i'd say the crowds were wrong. whilst there was plenty of interest, people seem to prefer to pop to the superstore to buy the 'made in china' stuff at half the price...

fortunately, we took a load of old tat from around the house and the old tat sold enough to make the day worthwhile! its amazing what crap some folk will buy!

(mrs tried to sell a 'mr T in your pocket' until i spotted it going into a crate and rescued it...)

Comment

I think ALL boot sales are like that - people only go to them to buy cheap tat...
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Working...
                X