Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aromatherapy Candles - how much essential oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aromatherapy Candles - how much essential oil?

Has anyone got any experience making aromatherapy candles out of beeswax/ soy wax?

I've given it a go.... but it takes A LOT of essential oils and the smell isn't that strong.

Perhaps some essential oils are better than others? I know that citronella has a really strong smell, but not one that you would necessarily want to fill your room with!

Hello John
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi John

I don't use essential oils but I know that not all of them throw well in wax. Plus I would be cautious about how much EO you add. If you add too much you could run the risk of 'flame throwers', especially with some oils.

I think the rule for EO is no more than a 5% EO to wax ratio.
      Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
      Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
      Facebook Page

Comment

I would definitley agree with Ruby. You don't need to use too much essential oil from personal experience. Although I am not greatly experienced, I have found that 2-3% EO is fine. A critical part of the process is the temperature you add the EO to the molten wax. I have found that if the wax is too hot then the oil fragrance can 'evaporate' (if that's the right term!) leaving a poor dry and wet aroma. The actual temperature depends on the type of wax used (container/pillar/etc) as they all have different melting points.

Again, different types of EO tend to be stronger than others which will also affect the end result. Sorry but trial and error is usually the order of the day.

HTH

Oddsox

Comment

...... forgot to say that I use soy container and pillar blend wax at the moment.

Oddsox

Comment

Agree with all the comments above. EO can have a very poor scent throw be it hot or cold in wax for the reason that EO's are not specifically made for candles unlike Fragrance Oils add to that the price of EO's is extortionate I don't use them and stick with FO's.

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Great! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I wasn't expecting such an expert response so quick!

I made a soy wax lavender aromatherapy candle at Xmas - and it really didn't smell at all and I used about £4 worth of oil!

I think lavender may have been a bad choice. I hadn't thought about the oils evaporating, that makes sense. I put the EO's in when the wax was still very warm.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnP View Post
                Great! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I wasn't expecting such an expert response so quick!
                We all aim to please . Most of us sign in at least once a day so you never have to wait too long for a reply.
                Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
                Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
                Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                X