Proper Name!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Name!

Is there a proper name for some one who makes candles? - apart from candlemaker before anyone gets that in!!!!! If not we could create one - what about Candler? Waxologist? Wickman?

Join in - all ideas welcome silly or serious!!!

Oddsox

Chandler
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
      Is there a proper name for some one who makes candles? - apart from candlemaker before anyone gets that in!!!!! If not we could create one - what about Candler? Waxologist? Wickman?

Join in - all ideas welcome silly or serious!!!

Oddsox
      thought candlelious was rather good lol
      sorry no help am i lol
      jen

Comment

Terry got it right. The correct name for a candlemaker is chandler. Not quite as cute as candlelicious though
        Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
        Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
        Facebook Page

Comment

Yes Chandler it is - from the French -chandelier

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I like candlelious though!!!

I thought a Chandler was someone who makes/supplies goods for ships. Maybe that's a slightly different spelling? Although it makes more sense it being a derivative of the french 'Chandalier'. Thanks everyone for that !

Comment

Definately a chandler - there used to be a candle supply company called candleicious - used to order from them pity another company as I recall shut by the "bleeping" banks!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Lisa - I know of a 'CandleiciousCandles' within ebay - assume they have a full independent website as well. Don't know if it's the same coy reborn!

Chandler must be one of those words with a double meaning (homonym?)

Oddsox

Comment

The term Chandler "grew" to mean the ship supplier, as it was typically the same person who supplied the other goods along with the candles...
                  Cheers,
                  Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                  Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Chandler noun

1.a person who makes or sells candles and sometimes other items of tallow or wax, as soap.2.a dealer or trader in supplies, provisions, etc., of a specialized type: a ship chandler. 3.a retailer of provisions, groceries, etc.
                    Origin:
                    1275–1325; ME chandeler candlestick, maker or seller of candles < AF, OF chandelier, lit., someone or something connected with candles, equiv. to chandelle candle + -ier -ier2
                    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Wow, that's great !! what I thought was a Chandler is actually a 'spin off' from the original term/meaning. Also, I assume all you soapmakers could also call yourself chandlers according to Indri's comments.

Oddsox

Comment

Thanks, but I will stick with soap maker - don't want to confuse my customers

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Doesn't take much to confuse some customers hehehe. Mind you these days I'm easily confused
                          Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
                          Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
                          Facebook Page

Comment

Look chandler up on google and you are more likely to get boatyards, so probably best not to confuse the customers!! Glad you all appreciated the English lesson. Anytime you need another one I'll try to help!
                            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                            X