Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I melt a candle?

Hi,

I have a lovely M&S candle given by DinL to me. I light it often, but now all I have is a hollow in the middle and I have no idea HOW to level it off. It seems such a dreadful waste. I have tried to cut it level but its too thick and there are bits of fruit etc in the wax. I suppose the idea is to use it, dump it, and buy another but that goes against the grain.
    Do any of you clever candle people have a suggestion??

Thanks, Enid

Is it a pillar candle you have or a container candle?

Best bit of advise I can give you and this really will help you get the best from your candles. Don't light your candles and then extinguish them after a short period of time as on all subsequent burns the candle will only ever melt out as far as the initial burn no matter how long your burn it. The rule of thumb is to burn a candle for 1 hour for each inch of the candles diameter i.e. if you have a 3 inch diameter candle you should burn it for 3 hours to get a nice burn pool. Having said that if you get some poor quality candles no matter how long you burn them the melt pool wont reach the outside generally because they have been wicked incorrectly.

I would advise if it is a pillar candle you have to get a sharp knife and warm it so that it can slice through the candle easier to level it off (avoiding cutting the wick) as the candle has tunnelled as I say above it will always tunnel so you need to cut the candle flat to reset the candle type of thing. One other thing you could try but you need to be careful. To level off a candle when we make them we put them over a heated flat surface like a baking try and gently melt the bottom so that the candle stands straight I suppose you would try this the other way round and melt the top until you get it level - just make sure you can get the wick easy!!

If it is a container candle you will need to cut out the wax at the top - this should be easier to do as container wax is softer than pillar wax. You could always remelt the wax over a double boiler but the trouble is the wick will move when the wax has melted and give you all manner of problems if the wicks a) not straight and b) not centred.

HTH.

Lisa

Last edited by Bowed Over; 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM.
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that great info, I've often wondered what to do with a candle when it burns away like that. Now I won't have to throw them away!
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Thank you, Lisa.

Its a pillar candle and burning as I post. I usully have it on for hours, but that exactly what has happened....its has tunnelled. I must admit that the wick does not look as though it could cope with a thick candle anyway. I shall try your suggestion tomorrow.

Regards, Enid

Ex south side of Glasgow, just down the road from Hampden Park, although I have been down south for lots of years. Still have family there and we do visit. smiles better !!

Comment

Originally posted by enid View Post
          Ex south side of Glasgow, just down the road from Hampden Park, although I have been down south for lots of years. Still have family there and we do visit. smiles better !!

That's right the Glasgow Smiles Better was exactly this I'd forgot all about that!

Let me know how you get on could be a case the wick is to small for the candle but you wouldn't have thought that with Markies.

Cheers.

Lisa
          Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Lisa,

had a chopping session as you suggested as far down as I could, the candle is very thick. Anyway, I melted the cut off wax, managed to put a taper into the tunnel las a wick and filled the space with the melted wax. Its working fine now and melting better. I rather think its the wick that is the problem as the taper is much thicker than the one in the candle.
            Maybe they are meant to be looked at rather than burnt!!
            Thanks for your tips,
            Enid

Comment

Working...
            X