Wax Melter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Melter

I wanted to ask a general question about melting wax. I have recently started candlemaking as a hobby and have initially used a simple doube boiler style set-up which works fine. I want to upgrade now and was wondering what type of melters the forum members use?

I have found online specific wax melters (general and commercial) which look like they are all singing and dancing but come in at quite a price.

I also read that you can use a soup kettle just as effectively and these hold up to 10L and at reasonable price (not that i'll need 10L capacity!) .

Any guidance as to what to look for and steer away from would be much appreciated.

Oddsox

I wonder if a fondue/chocolate melter would do it?
    Cheers,
    Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
    Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I don't think fondues would reach high enough temperatures for wax.

I have an all singing all dancing industrial melter but I also have a couple of Palston Pots. There are similar to the USA Presto Kettles in that they are thermostatically controlled and the heating element is underneath the pot and never comes in contact with the wax.

Palston Pots Here's the link for them. You can add your own tap to them if you are DIY minded. My hubby added mine on for me but it's not a problem ladeling out the wax.

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I use this, it holds about 4L of wax safely.
        http://www.redumbrella.co.uk/product...ge.php?id=1063

In another forum I belong to there are instructions for fitting a tap to it for easy release of the wax.

Let me know if you are interested and I will copy them for you.
        Pauline

GroovyCart
        Folksy
        MISI
        Ehive

Comment

Many thanks everyone (so far!) – your help underlines the invaluable benefit of the forum. The Palston Pot looks a good bet for me and the price at redumbrella.co.uk looks pretty competitive.Even if I possibly upgrade again at any stage I can still use this as well.

Lisa, sorry if I implied in my thread to be knocking ‘all singing & dancing melters’ – it wasn’t my intention. I think I personally need to justify the cost versus the benefit as I do not sell anything I make (yet!).

Once again thanks ya’ll

Oddsox

Comment

Hi

I melt a lot of wax, but not for candles.

I put my wax into a saucepan and then put that pan in a larger pan with simmering water - like a baine marie.
            There is no need to buy expensive equipment.

hth

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
              Hi

I melt a lot of wax, but not for candles.

I put my wax into a saucepan and then put that pan in a larger pan with simmering water - like a baine marie.
              There is no need to buy expensive equipment.

hth

Jane
              Thanks Jane – it is what I use at the mo. My problem is that I use it in a small workshop and have a portable gas burner to heat everything up proving quite expensive on canisters. I thought an electric option would be better (and more efficient) and an all-in-one even more so – for me.

Grateful for your comments.

Oddsox

Comment

How about a single electric ring - about £20?
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
                  Lisa, sorry if I implied in my thread to be knocking ‘all singing & dancing melters’ – it wasn’t my intention. I think I personally need to justify the cost versus the benefit as I do not sell anything I make (yet!).

Once again thanks ya’ll

Oddsox
                  No problem - I didn't take it that way at all. I know what you mean the large melters are very expensive and the cost of one when you start out isn't justified. I use the large melter when I have large orders (generally my wholesale ones) and I use the Palston Pots for most other orders where I am only asked for a few candles. I can't recommend them highly enough and at a push you can melt 3.5 kgs of wax in no time at all which makes a great saving on the old gas/lecy bills you know how long it would take on a cooker to melt that amount of wax.

Good luck.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I totally agree. Most of us start of with the double boiler method but it soon gets boring and tedious to watch.

For the £22 they are charging for these now, they are worth their weight in gold as wax melters. Much safer than a saucepan in a saucepan as no water to boil off if you forget it and then risk the wax heating up far more than it should.

Much quicker at heating up too, less electric costs. Easier to clean. Just switch it on and rub it over with a paper towel and hey presto. I ladle rather than put a tap on. With soy, I just pour from the side, but with paraffin or parasoy, I ladle as it is more likely to run, but works no problem.

I have six of these things lol. I love them. My first one was a presto from america that had to have a huge transformer plugged into it. I was in seventh heaven when these became available here.

I have a huge melting thing, but to be honest, I don't like it as it is a water jacket and takes far too long to heat up wax enough, when I can plug these in and pour several pots each of these one after another in the time it takes for the big one to heat one lot of wax. I only use my big one if I really really have to.

At that price, I think I better buy a couple of spares.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

oh yes - i forgot. I also have one of those leg wax type heater pots that I use for if someone has a small order, ie just a few melts or votives in some obscure fragrance that i hardly ever use. I think I got it in a sale somewhere for £6.00 and I often use it as a melts warmer too lol in my kitchen. It holds just enough for 4 votives.
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

Someone has just suggested to hubby using a deep fat fryer such as this one in Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4224727/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|12108409/c_2/2|cat_12108409|Small+kitchen+appliances|12108488/c_3/3|cat_12108488|Fryers|12108497.htm

As he is currently using a double boiler system, how effective do you think this would be?

Comment

Nooooooooooo. Don't buy it. Deep fat fryers are far too hot for melting wax. I think the lowest temperature on them is 100C. When you think that soy has a melt point of something like 50C you are definitely running the risk of the wax catching fire.

You're much better using a Palston Pot for large quantities, or if you're very careful you can melt in a microwave. I use soy and I often melt small batches in the micro. I bung it in a bowl and heat it on half power, keeping a very close eye on it.

BTW you have the same name as my daughter. She's a Laura-Jayne but we all call her LJ. She's 17 and completely zany .
                          Last edited by girlyracer; 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM.
                          Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
                          Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
                          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by girlyracer View Post
                            Nooooooooooo. Don't buy it. Deep fat fryers are far too hot for melting wax. I think the lowest temperature on them is 100C. When you think that soy has a melt point of something like 50C you are definitely running the risk of the wax catching fire.

You're much better using a Palston Pot for large quantities, or if you're very careful you can melt in a microwave. I use soy and I often melt small batches in the micro. I bung it in a bowl and heat it on half power, keeping a very close eye on it.

BTW you have the same name as my daughter. She's a Laura-Jayne but we all call her LJ. She's 17 and completely zany .

My LJ is for Laura Jane too

Thanks for that... I'll pass that info onto hubby and tell him to look at the Palston Pot's.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone who has posted a reply.

It's a basic requirement for us candlemakers but, without a bit of help and guidance, we can wander down the wrong route. I definitely think the Palson Pot is the one for me at this stage and I'll be ordering. BTW the redumbrella price is the best I've found/seen as well thanks Lisa & Pauline for the links.

Oddsox

Comment

Working...
                              X