Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulations

Hello, I have been reading some threads from last year regarding regulations on making and selling candles. I am a complementary therapist who has decided to branch out into the making and sale of aromatherapy and herbal products. So one of my 'new additions' is aromatherapy candles. I have bought the basic kit and plan to spe******e in beeswax candles. However, before I embark on this new adventure I want to check what regulations there are. I see that labelling is important and testing your candles. With cosmetics, testing has to be undertaking by a spe******t. When you refer to testing your own candles is it enough for you to test them yourself to see how they burn etc. Or do you need to have a spe******t test them for you?

I apologise if this has been asked many times before.

I look forward to your response, and any tips for successful beewax candle making would be gratefully received.

Best wishes
    Helen

Hi Helen,

At the present moment in time there are no regulations on candle making (hence we are flooded with a lot of dross from China!!) however I have heard that in the not too distant future there will be tighter controls but at the moment none.

However I strongly recommend testing all your candles yourself to ensure, safety, burn quality etc (it's your reputation on the line after all) and always always always use safety labels on each candle, melt whatever you sell. In today's blame culture best to cover your back against being sued!

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Regulations

Helen,

When I was recently 'surfing' for information online regards the implications of selling candles (commercially on a very small scale) I came across a European Standard draft for; EN15494 "Candles - product safety labels and warnings"

This was only a draft but I believe it was put into place via BSI although it is hard to get a copy without having to pay for it!!

BS EN 15426:2007 Candles. Specification for sooting behaviour
      BS EN 15494:2007 Candes. Product safety labels

There are some very good labels available through candle supply companies - I don't know if I am allowed to name them so I better not! You can do a search that will find them easily.

Hope this helps

Oddsox

Comment

British Standards have adopted three guidelines into standards, but at the moment it is voluntary and you need to test and test and test any candles you give to anyone else. It won't be long before they are legislation though. I am surprised they have not been adopted by now.
        ------------------------------------------------
        My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

Has there been any update on this in the EU. A friend who makes a lot of candles has said that there may be legislation soon and each candle type and fragrance will have to be tested at great cost.

I can't find any info atm, so did anyone hear anything about this?
          www.pure-light.co.uk - Pretty soaps, candles, bath and gifts.

Comment

I've heard they are bringing in legislation and you will need to send your candles away for burning times. The costs that have been quoted are around about £300 each test and that means £300 for each candle you make, then £300 for each candle you make in a different colour then £300 for each candle you make in each scent - I stock over 120 fragrances so when these changes come into effect it will put me out of business as there is no way I could afford prices like that.

I think it is a bit of a way off yet but it will be coming in. Candles definately need regulating this will stop all the unsafe candle makers out there who don't test and use totally unsuitable glassware etc but will put the genuine crafters out of business - you will just be left with the mass produced dross that is on Asda's shelves as they will be the only ones who can afford to pay for the testing!! I think the price of £300 is way to steep - think I might need to change profession I could sit and test burn them no problem and only charge £200!!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X