Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candle questions....from a newbie

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie on here and relatively new to candle making, I;ve got a couple of questions if anyone can help ;-)

First, I'm going to start doing container candles and have just realised that the HUGE bag of soy wax I have is pillar blend, will I still be able to use it???? also, how do you 'whip' wax???????

Happy 2009!

Karen x
    xxKarenxx
    www.bubblesandbombs.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=50723287992

Hi Karen,

I am recent to candle-making as well so can only pass on only limited experience but hope it helps.

Pillar Blend, as I understand it, has a higher melting point than container wax and lends itself better to self-supporting candles. When I was researching waxes I 'googled' the maker and wax name and found a lot of iinformation about recommended heating up and pouring temperatures. Saved me a lot of time and wax - woud suggest you have a go if not already done.

There should not be too much difference in using container wax but I have found lower consistency and performance. The amount of fragrance has had an effect in my efforts as well. If you bought some Container Blend maybe you can mix the two which I have read can be effective.

When I have made 'whipping wax' I have heated it up as normal (to 175F) and then let it cooled until a firm skin has formed on top. Then I have an electric whisk and put this on and whisked until required consistency. You can do this by hand as well if needed. You have a very short period of time to get the whipped wax to where it needs to go so move quickly and I have not been able to have time to fill a pipe bag without the wax hardeneing as of yet!! Maybe this is me !! However, whenever I have tried to whip pillar blend I have not been able to get the wax 'turned around' to the candle in time unlike using container wax so woud suggest CB for whipping.

Hope this is of help to you and apologies if no help.

Oddsox

Comment

Thanks

Hi Oddsox

Thanks for the info, I make soaps and bath treats which I sell on a market and home parties, I want to add candles to my range so I'll probably have loads of questions! I got the pillar blend as I make wax melts from it but have been asked for container candles (tin, jars etc)

Thanks again

x
      xxKarenxx
      www.bubblesandbombs.co.uk
      http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=50723287992

Comment

I look forward to seeing all of your handmade bath and candle range once added to your web site
        How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsox View Post
          Hi Karen,

However, whenever I have tried to whip pillar blend I have not been able to get the wax 'turned around' to the candle in time unlike using container wax so woud suggest CB for whipping.

Oddsox
          PB is also okish for whipping - you just need to be very quick though.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblesandbombs View Post
            Hi Oddsox

Thanks for the info, I make soaps and bath treats which I sell on a market and home parties, I want to add candles to my range so I'll probably have loads of questions! I got the pillar blend as I make wax melts from it but have been asked for container candles (tin, jars etc)

Thanks again

x
            Hi, how are your home parties doing and how did you start off?
            Debbie
            Please visit my facebook page
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pre...4922514?ref=ts

Comment

Working...
            X