Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help pls ! Remove the stick pin from votive candles

Hi

Can anybody offer any advice please on removing the stick pin once a votice candle has hardened?

I have tried pushing the end of it against a hard surface and it will not budge !!!!

Are there any tips on how make votives using the pin method and how to remove them?

Thanks in advance!

The best way to get the wick pin out is to hold the votive in a towel so you don't hurt your fingers, get a hammer and holding the votive tap the top of the wick pin voila pin out!!!

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Getting the pin out!

Hi, having had the same prob I have managed a couple of tricks that may help. Initially, I gently used a stanley knife blade to prise the base away although unless you are careful you can mark it. I also tried using a strong piece of cotton to wrap round and again prise the metal away from the base. The most successful I have so far is to warm up the bottom of the pin (with a lighter) so you melt the wax that is causing the problem and job done. You only need a brief sweep of heat and mind you fingers of course!.

I'm new to this and still trying and testing different ways so if I find any more effective ways I'll post them.

Hope this helps.

Oddsox

Comment

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the different methods, I have found one of my own, I popped it in the freezer for 2 minutes, and it simply pulled out easily!!!!

Trouble is, I then tried this with another votive which was a multi coloured layered one, and the layers all fell apart !!! I think it was because I left it in for too long !!!

Comment

Yep I try not to use the freezer as you run quite a high risk of cracking. The layers may also have split because you left it too long between pouring layers. If the frist layer gets cold when you pour the second layer they wont bond at all well and will more than likely break apart when you take out the wick pin. Pour when the bottom layer is still warm and poke the bottom layer with a skewer around the wick this will allow some of the top layer to bond into the bottom layer (does that make sense!!)

Cheers.

Lisa
          Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X