Want to learn how to make wax melts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to learn how to make wax melts

Hi, I got a present of some wax melts from a friend of mine in the us and I fell in love with them, I really would love to make some of my own and wonder if any of you have a tried and tested "recipe" for them I have found the site sensory perfection and will buy some of their moulds and fragrances, but am so unsure as to what wax I need to use, and how to colour them and is there another ingredient that I need to add to "throw" the scent? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I posted a tutorial about how to make a pillar candle so will find the link and post it here.

To make wax melts it is exactly the same set up as making pillars or other kind of candles. The only difference is you don't need a wick. The instructions are for paraffin wax - if you are wanting to use soy you have sightly different pouring temps and amounts of Fragrance Oil.

If this is your first time making melts I think you would be best off trying paraffin as soy can be a bit tricky to work with.

Candle Tutorial

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Lisa, I cant wait to get started, I have been waiting all day to get the chance to comr home and see had anyone replied to me, But typically was so busy all day then had a parents association meeting at the kids school and then went to a virgin makeup party at my friends house! No time to spare how will I find the time to make them!! Thanks very much for sharing, do you find you are busy with your website? I would like to have a go at making a couple of candles just for my own use, but melts is really where I'm at right now, I would also love to have a go at making soaps and hand creams. I often wonder what did I actually do before I had three children and a business!!

Comment

I have to admit I am really busy with candles through the website - so much so that I haven't been able to do any craft fairs this year as I have barely enough time to make up orders let alone make up stock for a fair and actually take the time off to go to one.

It hasn't always been like that though, for a website to be successful it takes a lot of time - years in fact as Mr M will tell you the age of a website is one of the major factors in ranking!!! and a lot of hard graft.

You should have no problem with the melts at all if you use paraffin. Soy can be a bit more complicated because the two main types of soy are pillar blend and container blend. Pillar blend can be too brittle and the melts snap, container blend is far too soft and wont come out of the mould. The best thing to do is either make a mixture of PB and CB or a parasoy (paraffin and soy mixture) but that takes practice, time and most of all money. Straight paraffin will work a treat, wont crack or get stuck in the mould if you use a bit of stearin or vybar.

HTH.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X