soy wax question(s).....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soy wax question(s).....

I'm having a go at using soy wax in a small glass jar, I made one with no colour but did use some scent. The wick I used was from an old kit I've had for years but never used much, the jar was pretty much the same width as one of the moulds I got with the kit so thought it would be okay, didn't say what size it was.

Anyway, the wax seemed to melt fairly quickly and the jar seemed to have a lot of liquid wax in it, not necessarily that quickly, but still a lot of liquid, is this normal for soy? I didn't add anything to it, other than scent, no additives, prefer not to if possible. Would it make much difference if I did? When I blew it out, the wick seemed to disappear into it, had to dig it out, although the wax was very soft still, is that normal too?? can't be really can it?
    I really want to use soy wax over paraffin, but does anyone have any advice on using it to it's best? The candles I've seen made with it look lovely, although never bought one to burn, only had melts.
    I've been making melts which are fine as the liquid in a burner is better anyway, but a candle, I dont' know.

Any help greatly appreciated, if I'd made a pillar candle it would have spilled all over the place!

thanks

Hi
    Soy wax uses different wicks than para wax...also needs different size of wick usually a larger wick than for para wax.
    Check out some of the candle making supply sites. Get back to me with your email addy if you need some links.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Hi RainbowRiver.

Sounds to me like the wick was too big and/or you trimmed it too short before lighting it.

When achieving your melt pool, ie the 'liquid wax'. You need to aim for a hour per inch to reach the whole diameter of your jar and for the melt pool to be about 1/4" deep. Wicks should be trimmed to about 1/4" before lighting. Otherwise the flame will extinguish as the wax melts around the wick. You then have the problem of once it has reset, you have to gouge out the wick before re-lighting it.

A soy candle needs wicking up a size or two in comparison with an identical one made from paraffin. Next time try a slightly smaller sized wick and try not to trim it too short. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 attempts before you find the correct wick.

Don't forget that if you add colour and fragrance, every combination has to be tested. Just make sure that you make plenty of notes as you test each one. After a while you will gain a good idea of what will work almost instinctively and you will find that can gauge it to one or two wick sizes.

Ruby x
      Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
      Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
      Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy58 View Post
        Hi
        Soy wax uses different wicks than para wax...also needs different size of wick usually a larger wick than for para wax.
        Check out some of the candle making supply sites. Get back to me with your email addy if you need some links.
        Hope this helps
        Hi
        Thanks, so it could be the wick then. I've been looking at supplies for soy wax including wicks so might get a few of different sizes to try out. Is it best to buy the pre waxed wicks or to do your own?

Comment

Working...
        X