Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the bast way to begin??

Hi there,

This is my first time on the forum!! I'm a comlete novice to the world of candlemaking, but I'd really love to give it a go.

If any more experienced candlemakers could give me a few tips on the best ways for a beginner to get started, I'd really appreciate it,

thanks,
    Helen

to the Forum. My only candle experience is lighting them, I'm afraid, but there are lots of people here who will be more useful than me with your request!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Hi Helen and welcome to the forum from me too.

The best thing to do if you you are a complete novice at candlemaking is buy a candlemaking kit as this should include everything you need to make your first candles - the kit should include some wax, some stearin and vybar (you may get one or other of these) some wick, a mould, some fragrance and the most important thing a candle making thermometer. If the kit doesn't include the thermometer buy one you can't make candles safely with out one. Wax has a flash point and if you aren't careful BOOOOMMMM!!!

There are lots of different kits out there you can get paraffin and soy kits but if you are starting out I would start with paraffin this is a whole lot easier to work with.

You can try

candelights

full moons cauldron

HTH.

cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
        My only candle experience is lighting them,

Si.
        Me too and burning them at both ends

and hello from me too!

Comment

welcome

stay lucky

Carol
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

hello and welcome to the forum my daughter started her candle making with a kit and progressively collected more stuff you can get books out on the subject at your local library then always purchase your own when you get really into it good luck with your new craft
            Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi & Welcome

As lisa said ... the best way to get started to to buy a starter kit. These give you the basics to get started
              The more you practice after that the more you can experiment with different waxes, fragrances, colours and designs

I find the endless experimenting the best thing about candles, if something doesn't work you can keep that candle for yourself

*whispers* when your practicing your experimental candles will come in useful if you ever have a power cut

Comment

Thankyou so much for all your replies - I really appreciate it.

So I am going to take your advice and get myself a starter kit. Any reccomendations?

Comment

Probably best to start with a paraffin votive makking kit - lets you get the feel of working with the wax and as they are small wont use up as much wax. You generally have the correct sized wicks provided with it too.

Good luck.

Cheers.

LIsa

Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X